Excerpt from R. Scott Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior

pat5150

Wert's review just got me all the more excited. Nice job, but sheesh, this is gonna be a long week.

I tell myself I won't venture in here until after I've read the book but still I come here. It's like picking at a scab. Excellent review Wert, I am now even more excited. The next few days will be painful.

Orly?? Somehow I'd convinced myself that no one else was still reading on into the second series. At least of the group of board regulars that had given PoN a try. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

Nope, I can't speak for anybody else, but I read TJE and I'm just waiting for the e-book version of WLW (or to come across a hardcover second-hand, so I know where to donate it back when it's time to leave TX).

there's another review? is it spoilery?

Werthead posted one over at his page. He loved it, gave it the highest rating. I'm surprised he hasn't popped into this thread to post a link. 'course, there's only like 3 or 4 bakker threads running on the board at this moment...

oh, and the review is non spoilery, too. at least less that the seattle one.

because I want to find out what happens to Akka first, and I want to see what this truth he can barely comprehend thing is. I have my doubts that they actually make it to the coffers (traditionally middle volumes are travelogues only, and you don't actually see the destination they arrive at in the final sentances of the plot thread), but if they do I want to see those too. :D

And Bakker said he was spending time in the thousand thousand halls, so I'm at least hopeful that they do in fact get to the Coffers and finish that point off in this book.

I'm worried that I won't appreciate everything going on in the Slog chapters if I'm not reading the Nanny/Momemn chapters as well, which I presume will have a good chunk of God-interference revelations, and I already presume that do to the Sorweel/Yatwer connection it'd be foolish to read those sections out of order.

The Slog is otherwise fairly well divorced from the other threads, so since it is the thread of highest interest to me and potentially the most isolated, I'm anxious to finish it first. :)

Can't say I felt any urges to read the full POV's out of narrative sequence, something that usually troubles me in ASOIAF. I think the overall pacing is well controlled across all threads and would recommend sticking with the intended order - there are some thematic and worldbuilding reveals that impact with each other in the seperate POV's despite their plot independance (if that makes sense).

Something for those waiting for WLW to enjoy, from the three seas forum (the work of one Sil-Inchor).

'Twas the Night Before Second Apocalypse

Twas just after the womb-plague

And all through the manse

Not a Nonman was stirring

Not even their prince.

The chorae were hung

By the chimney with care

In hopes that the Carapace

Soon would be there.

The sranc were all nestled

Up snug in their beds

Visions of obscenity

Dancing in their heads

When up on Earwa

There arose such a clatter

The violent arrival

Of Man’s Darkest Hour

Away to the windows

The Mandate did fly

They threw open the shutters

Light poured from their eyes

And what did their dream-blearied orbs

There perceive

But a towering storm shouting

WHAT DO YOU SEE?

With a nimil sarcophagus

So shiny and dread

They knew that slain Lokung

Was no longer Dead.

More rapid than eagles

The Consult they came

And He bellowed and gibbered

And screamed out their names

ON SKAFRA, ON GLORTMUND, ON HALGYS AND AURAX

ON BLODMYR, ON THREKLA, ON LYRNYR AND AURANG

TO THE NAIL HIGH IN HEAVEN

TO THE GODS THERE OUTSIDE

ON WRACU, ON BASHRAG, TO RUIN WE RIDE

So up to the skies

His legions they flew

Man-Traitors and skin-spies

The last Inchoroi, too

The Mandate, despairing

Could not stay aloof

They burned in the fires

Of the great Mog-Pharau

The Men of the Three Seas

Were soon overthrown

Their hearthstones all cracked

And their great kings dethroned

The Shriah was headless

The Emperor dead.

‘Twas the Second Apocalypse

The prophets all said

But remember, dear children

That though the No-God would fell us

If things really turn ugly

We can all trust in Kellhus

Release of a new book is almost like christmas, yeh?

THE WHITE LUCK WARRIOR HAS SHIPPED.

IT IS CURRENTLY IN HARRISBURG, IT SHOULD ARRIVE AT STATE COLLEGE TOMORROW.

OH.

DAMN.

I hear the No-God as well... amazon, which for a while I thought under the direction of the unholy consult, saw fit to ship my copy to day as well (after teasing me with an April 18th delivery date this morning...). Supposedly it'll get here on the 14th...

Off the top of my head I can't think of a glaring reason not to do this, but I don't want to be the one to endorse it either. I think you will be entertained enough by the other things going on that you'll feel less of an urge to do this once you get going.

:agree:

Something for those waiting for WLW to enjoy, from the three seas forum (the work of one Sil-Inchor).

Release of a new book is almost like christmas, yeh?

This is amazing. I hope Bakker ends the trilogy with that.

300 pages in and enjoying this one a lot- definitely more than the Judging Eye even at its best. Although there is only minor interaction between the three story arcs I definitely think it's worth reading it in order; as someone else said, the revelations do build off of each other and none of the three storylines is weak enough to be worth skipping (though I do think that the Momemn and Slog plotlines are better than the Great Ordeal, so far).

Another Probability Trance made me cancel my order with Book Depository as well, as well as my Amazon order.

I have just ordered from a Dutch store which already has stock. This should ensure a pre-weekend delivery.

Should. The ways of the Transportation demons are varied and obscure and they operate within an Outside of their own.

Archived