Excerpt from R. Scott Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior

pat5150

Why is White Luck Warrior not released in Australia yet? Do you hate me?

why aren't these kind of questions ASKED IN CAPITALS?

I'm finding it hard to resist the spoiler thread but i'm managing to hold up. The UK edition better turn up on the release date! The reviews are looking pretty good so far.

It's on hold for me at Borders less than a mile from my office!

B&N may not be going out of business, but they didn't bother to stock this title on release date, even at the B&Ns with well curated Scifi/Fan sections. The only B&N with the title in stock in the greater Los Angeles Area is in Redlands, which is more than 80 miles from Venice. I think I was only able to find TJE on release day at Borders as well, though then there were a lot more Borders to choose from.

Dammit Bakker, Overlook is unacceptable. They need to be plyed.

Man, I am annoyed. The only local peddler of newly released books in town (Waldenbooks, a subsidiary of Boarders) does not have the book in stock. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like they intend to anytime soon. But it's bad enough I had to resort to them. Imagine how royally fucked my day became when I discovered that I couldn't download this to my Nook. Fucking hell.

Fortunately, I signed up for a free month of Amazon Prime, which reduced first class shipping to four dollars. I plan on canceling Prime tomorrow when I have the book in hand.

Another question for the author:

Fanimry

Unlike the gnosis or anagnosis, Psukhe seems to have come from humans directly (instead of Nonmen). Did the nonmen ever have anything to do with Psukhe? Did humans prior to Fane have anything to do with Psukhe?

Another question:

How do you properly pronounce "Psukhe?"

Is is similar to how Bill Compton says "Sookie" in True Blood?

Pat, I think you will agree that is is the most important question that you could ask Mr. Bakker. I challenge Larry to come up with a better one.

I always just pronounced it "Psyche", the word it's obviously inspired by :P

I've always gone with "Psoo-khee" as well. I regret to say that I don't think I'll be able to read this novel for another few months :( Hopefully you'll all still be eager to discuss it after I've finished. Though since we seem to always have multiple Bakker threads going years after the books get published even, I don't think I have much to worry about.

Do we know for certain he does use sorcery? I can't recall, but I remember interpreting their abilities as technological advancements, as I figured that sorcery-being a part of the whole religion of that planet-was confined to the species of that planet, so no sorcery for aliens.

I don't know how he even possibly considered that original Horns of Reallyfuckinglongweirdfantasyword title. Apparently there's a fine line btween prose skills and title skills.

The Horns of Hell is a pretty good title though.

Archived