Excerpt from R. Scott Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior

pat5150

More questions:

Jekhia is the Xiuhanni(spelling?) nation in Earwa. Similarly, does Eanna still have minority populations of Sothyati(spelling?), Ketyai, Norsirai, and Scylvendi?

Does Jekhia retain contact with their cousins across the mountains?

Do the Mangaecca harvest new recruits from Atrithau, Sakarpus and the few human tribes of the North?

A WLW question:

Were Atrithau and Sakarpus spared to comprise the 144,000? Or were they a fail-safe in case the No-God died and required sacrifices to be reborn?

Another WLW question:

Wutteat mentions that he journeyed with the Inchoroi across the void, and that Sil rode him. The Appendix of TTT says that dragons were created after the first engagement between the Nonmen and Inchoroi, where Sil was killed.

Did the Inchoroi, for some reason, leave their dragons behind in the first battle?

And if so, are they stupid?

Regarding the title - I think I'm with the majority here when I say that I can't really decide if The Pendulous Phallus or The Phallic Pendulum would be the best choice.

Though if he wants a refreshing and original break from his standard formula I think he should consider Anasûrimbor Kellhus and The Deathly Swirlies.

Regarding the interview - good stuff Pat (and Wert, and Larry of course)! :)

I support most of the questions that has been proposed so far. The ones I find most interesting are HE's on damnation and Kalbear's #1, #4 and #9.

Would like to add a couple too.

1) Regarding HEs question on Inrau and the mechanics of sorcery - would it also be possible to clarify whether Inrau already was Marked or not before his antics on the balcony in TDTCB?

2) Further on damnation - are the rules of damnation constant or variable over time, race and geography - for example, was an Inchoroi who died during the battle of Pir-Pahal judged by exactly the same rules as a Nonman dying in Kian now? (Though I suspect this might get us a "no comment" reply...)

3) Building on Jurble's Eänna theme - where there ever Nonmen in Eänna? And if not, why not? They certainly seem to have had both the time, capability and inclination for an invasion before the Inchoroi showed up. Instead they just fortified the passes, why?

4) In addition to the compulsory progress report on TUC any new information on "The Book That Shall Not Be Named" would be welcome - has he started work on it, does he have any ideas for possible titles both for the entire duology and the individual books (as long as those wouldn't be spoilers of course), possible length (still a duology or creeping into a trilogy?) and of course possible release dates, whatever can be said about those at this stage.

5) After the SA has been completed - is he entirely finished with Eärwa, or does he see a potential for more stories there?

The Nail of Heaven appears to have been the North Star of the world for some time. Does the planet not experience precession? And if so, is the fact that the planet not experiencing precession mean it's gravitationally locked into its current position somehow?

Does Ishterebinth retain Emwama slaves?

What machines are the Consult working with in their genetic engineering? Is it like a computer where you put together what you want, and the process of genetic engineering automated? Do they have sequencers? PCR machines? What vector do they use for actually altering genomes? Is the Genome of Skin-spies artificial - that is to say, were the genes assembled independently and put together? Or did they take the genome of an Inchoroi or a Man and then through deletions and additions alter it into a Skin-spy?

What level does their genetic engineering take? Do they cut and paste genes? Are they capable of designing enzymes and similarly complex folded genes? Like, do they have the processing power to engineer a sequence of genes - both regulatory and coding in order to create proteins with complex functions or even recursive functions? And if they do have that kind of processing power, why the hell are they using it for genetic engineering? With computers that powerful, they should be building god damn super-magnet particle beam cannons. Because, seriously, they would both take about the same amount of processing power. In fact, the super-magnet particle beam cannons would probably require less processing power than that needed to model artificial proteins.

127 pages in. I dare not enter the darkness of the spoiler thread, that darkness which comes before. But this book is bad--ass. Wow. The Aspect Emperor is really feeling (at this point) like one long novel broken into three volumes--and where TJE was mostly set-up, TWLW right now is indicating follow-through in a steady, relentless way.

A bit more of the philosophizing this time, as well. Sometimes it's a bit thick a-la PON, but I don't mind.

Just went through most of the questions quickly, and I have to say that I don't believe Scott would consider answering most of them... :worried:

Remember this: Bakker has a VISCERAL fear of spoilers.

Patrick

Just went through most of the questions quickly, and I have to say that I don't believe Scott would consider answering most of them... :worried:

Remember this: Bakker has a VISCERAL fear of spoilers.

Patrick

Hmmmm . . .

How about asking him if he can offer more specific detail with regard to his understanding and manipulation of genre? Specifically, I'm interested to know if he'd be willing to expand on what he's said in previous public comments about fantasy in relation to pre-modern and modern worldviews and the so-called "disenchantment" of the world.

In a similar vein, how about asking him about homages to other authors and works within the series? Tolkien is an obvious presence, and we've talked about McCarthy as another possible touchstone on this board. Can he elaborate on the McCarthy connection? Are there other literary touchstones he'd be comfortable divulging and discussing?

Those are pretty shallow similarities, though, and could equally be attributed to thousands of sources in literature and the arts. Let's not forget that Tolkien himself ripped nearly everything in LoTR straight from mythology, and with Bakker's extensive background in the humanities I'd imagine he's been more influenced by the classical sources, which Tolkien himself drew upon, rather than Tolkien's creation directly.

Cant, you're being idiotic.

He's already gone on record saying that he's put in tons of Tolkien homages. That was the point, after all. TJE and Cil-Aujus was a ripoff - by the author's admittance - of Moria. And he's hinted at having a similar ripoff of Smaug.

I wouldn't try to fight this too hard. I'm not some 13 year old girl you can bully around.

I'm not disagreeing that there are zero Tolkien homages; Moria is pretty clear-cut, and if Bakker myself said that there are more then I can hardly argue with the author himself, now can I? But if he didn't explicitly state Sranc and Nonmen were influenced by Tolkien then I see no reason to believe that they are.

And what's with the 13-year-old girl remark?

Archived