Excerpt from R. Scott Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior

pat5150

200 pages in, and if this book does not take a major-dive, it will be his best.

I have finished it and for me, it IS his best one. I have literally been talking nonstop about it to people whom have never read the series. Family, friends and fiance, they all are forced to sit and listen whilst I go on and on. I CANNOT wait for all you guys to finish as well and join us over in the spoiler thread. So much to talk and speculate about.

What would you do to seal it off? Would you stamp out any life? Pluck out any heart?

All of this and more...

This whole release thing has created a newfound resentment against Canadians in me.

Barnes & Noble and The Book Depository are claiming they have stock of the US hardcover and will ship within 24/48 hours.

Now I have to decide if ordering from Book Depository now will actually get me the book sooner than if it ships on Thursday from Amazon via super fast DHl Express shipping.

Barnes & Noble and The Book Depository are claiming they have stock of the US hardcover and will ship within 24/48 hours.

Now I have to decide if ordering from Book Depository now will actually get me the book sooner than if it ships on Thursday from Amazon via super fast DHl Express shipping.

Huh, is this true? Should I cancel my Amazon order and order from B&N?

Just shy of 600 pages of unabashed awesome await you my brothers (and two sisters who are still brave enough).

Two brave sisters await us? That seems to be a huge spoiler.

So, either, Mimara’s twin in Sauglish. I’ve had that feeling all the time. Esmi sold one twin to the slavers, the other to the Sohonc. Yes, you heard it here first: the Sohonc has preserved itself in secrecy.

Or, Aurax and Aurang are actually women. (The pendulous phalli are have been grafted by the Tekne.) This is, of course, a revision that Bakker was forced to by his editors, to have female characters with agency.

Same here, I have cancelled my Amazon pre-order because it is twice the price with DHL Express shipping.

All that remains is for the Book Depository to actually ship on Tuesday at the latest as well, as promised. And there is of course the danger that Amazon.com will say tomorrow or Tuesday, "hey, we will release early as well" in which case I will have walked the longest possible path, despite a very, very extensive Probability Trance.

My guess, since I don't dare clicking on that particular thread until some time after May 5, when Amazon UK finally have delivered, is that it is mostly smug Canadians and various other worldborn with poor impulse control, congratulating themselves and trying to justify having deluded themselves by paying an exorbitant price for a book with a subpar cover. :P

The wait is enlightening though. I now know how Gollum must have felt about the Ring.

I have devised a coping strategy consisting of ceaselessly repeating "The White Luck Warrior will arrive soon" to myself until Thursday. Then "The White Luck Warrior will arrive" for four days, and so on, removing one word every four days. I have calculated that I will be done with the "The" repetitions at the exact moment it arrives at my doorstep and I can start reading it in a proper state of mind.

My guess, since I don't dare clicking on that particular thread until some time after May 5, when Amazon UK finally have delivered, is that it is mostly smug Canadians and various other worldborn with poor impulse control, congratulating themselves and trying to justify having deluded themselves by paying an exorbitant price for a book with a subpar cover. :P

That's about right! ;)

Patrick

Live in Canada. Pre-ordered from Chapters and had it delivered to my door April 1st. No extra charge and I, who had not originally liked the cover, loved the deep, deep maroonish brown which dominates the cover. I despise the covers with dude's face on them. Tackiest of tack.

No spoilers, not even a mentioned theme, but I wonder what Earwan religious object will grace The Unholy Consult? We have the mirrored image of the two sides of the Tusk on TJE, Kellhus' Circumfix on WLW, which ups the ante concerning TUC; Perhaps, the Carapace will grace the final cover of the Aspect-Emperor.

No spoilers, not even a mentioned theme, but I wonder what Earwan religious object will grace The Unholy Consult?
Clearly it has to be a pendulous, glistening phallus.

I think your post was humorous in nature, but in the chance that it was not, I was just making light of how Nerdanal and Tears of Lys are the only females still posting in the Bakker threads. They are very brave, my sisters.

Wait until more of us actually get our hands on WLW. Some of use may then be back to cause strife discuss more, perhaps. (Though never as much -- or as persistently -- as Nerdanel or Tears of Lys, that absolutely has to be acknowledged.)

Archived