Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

The pictures are absolutely horrifying. I hope the casualties number is relatively low and the tsunami doesn't cause any major damage to any of the other countries on that list.

Really have to hand it to the Japanese building codes. Watching the feeds, it's INSANE how much debris is being carried by the waves, not to mention the massive force of the water itself, and yet most buildings appear to be standing.

I heard that people were advised to stay at home, which is contrary to everything I've ever been taught about earthquakes -and earthquakes are part of our life here. It just demonstrates the immense difference between buildings in Japan and here.

Gallows humor moment:

How the fuck do you report that to your insurance agent?

Yeah, my house is burned to a crisp, flooded, a mile off it's foundation with a fucking freighter on the roof!

Is that considered a single or multiple events for reporting purposes? (The sad fact is, having worked in insurance, some adjusters will try to pick the one out of the three that they aren't covered for and stick them with it.)

Is that considered a single or multiple events for reporting purposes? (The sad fact is, having worked in insurance, some adjusters will try to pick the one out of the three that they aren't covered for and stick them with it.)

Does time play a factor in how a quake ranks on the Richter scale? E.g. if a quake goes on for 30 seconds instead of 10, is it higher on the Richter scale?

This sucks. Hope those with friends/relatives in Japan and other countries that have tsunami warnings are alright.

As for me, I'm waiting for one...1 meter waves supposed to hit northern Philippines two hours from now.

ETA

Just came from a webcam with a friend in Tokyo. She panned the camera outside and it showed a part of Shinjuku skyline filled with smoke. :(

Does time play a factor in how a quake ranks on the Richter scale? E.g. if a quake goes on for 30 seconds instead of 10, is it higher on the Richter scale?

I don't know. I was continuing the gallows humor for some reason. The guy who owned the WTC tried to claim each plane hitting was two separate events so he could get double the insurance money out of it. The whole case was pretty sick and nasty.

Jesus. I lived in Sendai for two years and still have a bunch of friends there. Fuck all those news reports going on and on about Tokyo cos it's the only city they think their viewers have heard of.

Jesus. I lived in Sendai for two years and still have a bunch of friends there. Fuck all those news reports going on and on about Tokyo cos it's the only city they think their viewers have heard of.

That's also where their bureaus and crews are, probably a fair bit of organisational parochialism there.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Somehow I misunderstood King Bread's question the first time I read it.

Richter Scale measures the intensity of a quake, i.e. how violent the shaking gets. I have felt 4.1 and 4.3 tremors in L.A. that lasted just a couple of seconds (but I was right over them so it still launched me a foot out of my seat in one case...), and also a 7.something that was very far away but which lasted for 3 minutes. The 7.+ was pretty long as quakes. I think bigger quakes tend to be longer, just because more energy is being released and there's more movement of the plates going on, but duration isn't being measured.

Here's info.

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude (shaking amplitude) of the largest displacement from zero on a particular type of seismometer (Wood–Anderson torsion). So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective upper limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is just below 9 for local magnitudes and just below 10 for moment magnitude when applied to large earthquakes.[1]

Sorry, your insurance does not cover damages caused by collisions with freighters.

They just showed some new footage of that oil refinery that's on fire, it's consuming the whole thing and there's no way to stop it. Massive fire.

"A tsunami warning is in effect at Vandenberg Air Force Base following the

8.9 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Japan. As a result, all base

beaches are temporarily closed and coastal roads will be temporarily closed

beginning at 0500 until further notice. The warning currently forecasts

waves greater than 3 feet impacting Vandenberg's Coast around 0745.

THE LISTING OF A TSUNAMI ARRIVAL TIME DOES NOT INDICATE A WAVE IS IMMINENT.

The listed arrival time is the expected initial wave arrival. Tsunamis can

be dangerous for many hours after arrival, and the initial wave is not

necessarily the largest.

All personnel are advised to avoid coastal areas until further notice.

This is not an exercise.

END"

Lovely.

Watashi no kangae wa anata to tomodachi.

Archived