Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

It's a 10m wave hitting a city of a million people. I'm guessing the only reason the reported death toll is still so low is the fact that it's the middle of the night there. This is nightmare stuff.

That and it just happened. I'm sure that unfortunately the death toll will climb in the next couple of days. It is really horrible and sad.

I just called my family in Taiwan and they said everything is calm over there. I wonder how the Korean peninsula is faring.

It is looking like Honshu shielded Korea from the impact. The maps I am seeing show a clear zone between Kamchatka and the Philippines (the latter hit by small waves, no news on the former - lots of geography with few people out that way). The South Koreans have their rescue teams on standby to head to Japan to help.

I just called my family in Taiwan and they said everything is calm over there. I wonder how the Korean peninsula is faring.

I imagine Japan pretty well shielded countries in that direction. I know they canceled the alert for Guam almost as soon as they gave it.

Lot's of wrecked small piers and capsized, foundering, and beached boats in Santa Cruz. Why none of them put to sea I don't know. Maybe it was because they were in the lagoon? If so, sorry guys that's not how it works.

South Korea is not on the tsunami warning list made by the PTWC. Lucky guys. They were shielded by northern Japan from the effects of the movement of the NEast Pacific trench. The waves produced by the quake pretty much went down in the general south, southeast from Honshu, with the bigger ones heading to Hawaii's direction. But by the time they reached US territory, they would have quelled already.

I blame the gheys.

Heh.

Just heard on the radio that the cooling system of a nuclear plant is failing and they are evacuating the surrounding area. I have no idea the dangers that presents, but im sure its not good.

From what I've heard, the evacuation was just a precaution and they've got that under control now.

ETA: oops, perhaps not, now they're saying it could be a major problem if not fixed within a few hours.

Just heard on the radio that the cooling system of a nuclear plant is failing and they are evacuating the surrounding area. I have no idea the dangers that presents, but im sure its not good.

That's old news. They have control of the situation now. (Assuming the failed dam in the same area don't cause new problems.)

It's stable right now as it's flooded, but an aftershock could cause further damage and the back up cooling system runs on electricity that they no longer have. The US military is delivering some sort of special coolant to help.

Recent BBC live updates on the nuclear situation:

1708: Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

1706: The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution.

Ghastly stuff. Much more widely filmed/recorded than other recent natural disasters, which just makes it all the worse, since we can actually see it happening. Thoughts going out to everyone up and down the coast of Japan that is affected.

As they say in the reinsurance business "it's always earthquake season". We just need a bad North Atlantic wind season to complete a staggeringly bad trifecta of loss events this year.

And there's a volcano that has decided to erupt in Indonesia just a few hours ago. What has gotten into you, Pacific Rim?

A busy couple of days for the Indonesian authorities. A tsunami warning (but apparently no damage), a volcanic eruption, and a rainstorm yesterday causing flooding killing more than a hundred people.

Its always interesting (from a safe distance) to watch footage of a tsunami and marvel not really at the wave but at all the bits of houses and cars trapped in the wave.

It's so surreal... it's hard to believe the scale.

Archived