NBA

Relic

Man, the Rockets are KILLING the Celtics tonight*! :)

It's almost enough to make me not mind that I have to listen to Tommy Heinsohn's commentary.

ST

*Please don't let this jinx them, please don't let this jinx them...

Hopefully it holds. The Bulls lost in OT game at Indiana. It was the first division loss of the season. Gawd it was a nailbiter. Rose hit 3 free throws to tie it with 1.2 seconds in regulation. They finally ran out of gas in OT and Rose fouled out.

Woo!! That's a big win, and felt great as a fan, even if the Celtics looked a bit disinterested. Fun to see Hayes getting in Garnett's face as well :).

With that we move to 1.5 games behind Memphis for that final playoff spot. The remainder of the season is going to be epic - I'm loving the possibility of a playoff run here. We're starting to play well, and the Grizz are starting to lose a few games after that hot streak they were on post-All Star break. I keep thinking that Utah are in freefall, but somehow they're still a half game ahead of us, so next up will be an important one too. Well, I say that, but they're all important from here on in. Memphis have got a horrendous week next week (vs Jazz, @Celtics, @Bulls, vs Spurs), so these next few games are critical for making up the ground. Of course, we've got a date in South Beach next week to look forward too, but other than that all the rest are winnable.

ST

Woo!! That's a big win, and felt great as a fan, even if the Celtics looked a bit disinterested. Fun to see Hayes getting in Garnett's face as well :).

With that we move to 1.5 games behind Memphis for that final playoff spot. The remainder of the season is going to be epic - I'm loving the possibility of a playoff run here. We're starting to play well, and the Grizz are starting to lose a few games after that hot streak they were on post-All Star break. I keep thinking that Utah are in freefall, but somehow they're still a half game ahead of us, so next up will be an important one too. Well, I say that, but they're all important from here on in. Memphis have got a horrendous week next week (vs Jazz, @Celtics, @Bulls, vs Spurs), so these next few games are critical for making up the ground. Of course, we've got a date in South Beach next week to look forward too, but other than that all the rest are winnable.

I think we can pass PHX and UTH no problem. Then we just need MEM or NO to fall, and the Hornets have a brutal schedule.

Denver and Portland are just playing too well to catch.

I think we can pass PHX and UTH no problem. Then we just need MEM or NO to fall, and the Hornets have a brutal schedule.

Denver and Portland are just playing too well to catch.

Two Rox fans other than myself on westeros.org. Crazy!

This has nothing to do with the NBA, but it has to be posted somewhere:

I love how the announcers voice goes out at the end and he turns to whispered gibberish.

I miss Garbajosa, he was a good player on the Raps and the heart of the team that won the division in '07. Sadly got hurt and then things weren't the same.

Amare's fine. The issue is the team not bringing 'Melo into the stylistic fold; it's a personality thing for lack of a better term. They've let Carmelo dictate the offense too much.

Amare's fine. The issue is the team not bringing 'Melo into the stylistic fold; it's a personality thing for lack of a better term. They've let Carmelo dictate the offense too much.

This.

Love Amare, and wish Melo played with the same intensity. Also wish we hadn't traded half of our team.

-I can't believe that there is talk of canning D'Antoni after this year. Of sure, if this persisted well into next year I'd get it, but he deserves a full season with a training camp and all that.

I dunno, I think he's pretty terrible. Any team he coaches is just plain BAD at playing defense. What good is scoring 105.9 ppg when you give up 105.7? Boston and Chicago give up less than 92 ppg. Miami, Orlando, and Atlana give up less than 95.4 a game. There is NO way New York, with their overall talent, should be giving up more points than any other team in the Eastern Conference.

I dunno, I think he's pretty terrible. Any team he coaches is just plain BAD at playing defense. What good is scoring 105.9 ppg when you give up 105.7? Boston and Chicago give up less than 92 ppg. Miami, Orlando, and Atlana give up less than 95.4 a game. There is NO way New York, with their overall talent, should be giving up more points than any other team in the Eastern Conference.

If the Suns had won a few years back when they got shafted by the suspensions and Tim Duncan's 3, I think there'd be a little less criticism of D'Antoni in this vein - there wouldn't be quite the same weight behind the "Defense wins ugly, offense loses pretty" schtick. The Eastern Conference is much more defense-oriented than the West so it sticks out a bit more, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for D'Antoni's system - high octane offenses can overpower good defences, that's what the NBA-specific rules are for.

You're right that D'Antoni probably could get more out of his players on the defensive end. He is hampered quite considerably by personnel though - Amar'e is not a great defender, neither is 'Melo, and there aren't a whole lot of players renowned for their defence on the roster to fill in the gaps. (You could probably blame some of Amar'e's lack of defense on D'Antoni's lack of focus on it during his early years, now that I think of it, but I think that's a slightly different discussion).

ST

yet he would have been your coach. Chicago and NY both wanted him. i remember the look on Dantoni's face when the Bulls got the number 1 pick in the Rose draft and the knicks (in his first year) got the number 7. He had this sick smile on his face, reflected my feelings quite nicely.

You fuckers were a lottery team. ugh.

During his Suns years they played average defense, not bad defense. Sure they were scored on a lot but that is a product of the opponent getting more shots due to the "7 seconds or less" offense. That team was middle of the pack in defensive efficiency and even then did it with historically bad defenders in Amare and Steve Nash.

Regardless your comment is strange, they are scoring more than they give up. That is what you want. I'd take what they have over Atlanta everyday of the week since the Hawks don't score more than they give up. Sure the Knicks give up the most points in the Eastern conference, but they also score far more than anyone in the East. They simply don't have much talent beyond 2 people and an old man, and those 2 are horrific defenders.

yet he would have been your coach. Chicago and NY both wanted him. i remember the look on Dantoni's face when the Bulls got the number 1 pick in the Rose draft and the knicks (in his first year) got the number 7. He had this sick smile on his face, reflected my feelings quite nicely.

You fuckers were a lottery team. ugh.

One of the best things that could have happened to the Bulls. They got that useless fuck Vinny Del Negro who bumbled his way through two .500 seasons and then got Thibs who has installed his Boston D in Chicago.

And Slurk, this is my point...you GOTS to win with D. Talent matters with D but will matters more. So much of it is just commitment and hustle. His teams always play balls to the wall run offense and don't really get back on D. The East always has been a slug it out conference. It still is that way. As much as I hate Miami, those guys do D up. Also Chicago, Boston, Miami, and Orlando all average a + 5.4 avergage PPG. The Knicks are a + 0.3

And Slurk, this is my point...you GOTS to win with D. Talent matters with D but will matters more. So much of it is just commitment and hustle. His teams always play balls to the wall run offense and don't really get back on D. The East always has been a slug it out conference. It still is that way. As much as I hate Miami, those guys do D up. Also Chicago, Boston, Miami, and Orlando all average a + 5.4 avergage PPG. The Knicks are a + 0.3

His teams in Phoenix did try and get back on D. Opponents did not score a ton of points against them because they had shitty D, it was because they got a lot more possessions typically against Phoenix. Don't make the mistake of equating D'Antoni's system with Don Nelsons. Take for example the 06-07 Suns which had a + 7.3 scoring differential despite giving up the 7th worst points per game. Look at O and D ratings on Basketball reference.com Much more useful as a stat.

Regardless I disagree with the Defense wins championships motto.

Archived