Wise Man's Fear II (SPOILERS)

WrathOfTinyKittens

Just a few little musings of my own to add. As the per the quote below - does "kote" then mean "disaster"? If so, an interesting name to take on . . .

Yea it's been mentioned a few times. Kote most likely means "disaster".

I've gone through all of the last thread and most of this one, and have to say I really feel like reading the books again after being made aware of everything I missed.

Anyway, here's some things I was wondering that as far as I'm aware of weren't addressed.

1) What was up with the Modegan coin that Kvothe found in his possession near the end of WMF? There was hardly any mention of it except that he didn't have any idea how he got it, and it was quickly dismissed, but it seems a bit too specific to be utterly random nah? It wasn't the one that Auri gave him earlier, because he doesn't recognize it or know how he got it. Any thoughts?

2) It's obvious from when Denna kills the dude that's messing with the girl in Severen that she is a badass, and knows how to use her knife, and generally does not get pushed around. If that's the case... Why does she let Master Ash/Bredon beat her? Yeah she needs a patron, but I think she's not dumb and that's a bit excessive even for her. There's some mention that she feels she deserves it, but again that seems like a LOT for just being a hooker. Maybe she knows what she's doing by involving herself with Bredon/the Chandrian is evil, and that's why she feels like she deserves to be beaten?

3) Is the fact that Kvothe's parents were never officially married possibly relevant to the plot, and his mother being the Lockless heir? I remember thinking when I read that part that it was a bit unnecessary. Maybe no priest would agree to marry them because the Lockless family carries so much power, and there would be repercussions?

I'm probably just grasping at strings here with all 3, but hey, it's fun.

One more thing. The Cthaeh mentions that the Masters of the University have some knowledge of the Amyr (unless I'm mistaken) that they would not divulge to Kvothe. We also know that Elodin knows what's behind the Valeritas door in the Archives, but refuses to divulge that to Kvothe. In my mind this strengthens the connection between the door and Amyr: I think most likely what's behind the door is all the useful information on the Chandrian and/or the Amyr.

Dang, sorry for replying in this thread, I didn't realize there was a new one...

Archived