New teaser & featurette

Just a few thoughts:

- Varys could be a little more effeminate, and, well, disguised. I assumed that this would be the scene during the tourney already, but still. But he seems to be the guy he is supposed to be, although I hope is becoming at least as charismatic, funny and interesting as Littlefinger. But this should happen in season 2 when he interacts with Tyrion a lot.

- I really, really start to love Lena Headey's Cersei. I never thought I would ever say that, as I really despise Cersei in the books for being who and what she is, but she really seems to be, well, interesting, strong, likable when you see this woman portray her. I never thought much about Headey, as I did not really like the Terminator series and her role in '300' (due to the fact that there was no need enlarge the role of the queen in the movie), but right now one of my main reasons for looking forward to this series is to see Cersei of all people. Weird.

- The Small Council (especially Renly) perfectly looks as the vermin without balls they are supposed to be in the scene about the assassination of Daenerys. This is going to work well. Though I do hope that Varys is not going to play Selmy's role to support Ned against the Targaryen assassination attempt in this scene. Littlefinger seemed to confront Varys in his scene with his stuff about being some kind of pimp, so Varys could actually have spoken against him there. But that's just stupid speculation.

- The Red Keep looks really good, although I never imagined it having those weird amount of huge towers up there on the cliff. Is this supposed to be Maegor's Holdfast, or is that rather the building down in the middle.

I need to watch this again.

It's definitely the tourney scene, and he doesn't act that way at all with Ned in that scene. OTOH, we have the scene we've glimpsed before, where he gives Jory a coy wave... so they're definitely having him be mincing and unctuous and a stereotype of what a eunuch is in public, it looks like.

Without doubt the cast is great. But by far Ned and Cersei are the ones that simply blew my mind. It's like Bean and Headey are able to convey everything about their characters with just a look or a gesture (and so far that is pretty much all that's available). Every new trailer confirms my view.

Oh, and the Great Sept is there as well, good. It's not bad that it seems to be smaller than the Red Keep, at least from the angle from which we are seeing KL. The crypts and the direwolf statues in Winterfell also seem to be really atmospheric as well. Not sure about Illyrio's manse (or is this supposed to be Drogo's?) being directly at the sea. GRRM made a huge fuss about him leaving in a huge manse with high walls amidst the city of Pentos, but I can live with that. We do not need to think about season 5 or 6 right now ;-).

I gather Varys' scene with Jory is the introduction to the 'tourney scene' we got a glimpse of now. Ned sits in his solar, brooding, Varys enters the Tower of the Hand and is brought to Ned by Jory, and then Varys shuts the door so that he and Ned can discuss their important business without stupid guards overhearing them.

And well, due to the fact that Varys was cut as a boy, he should not have a deep manly voice. He was cut completely, and that gives you a very high-pitched, lovely voice. But then, hopefully there are not that much real eunuchs out there anymore ;-).

I also liked that Cersei's line 'Everyone who isn't us is an enemy' was to Joffrey. Does they mean they intend to give Joffrey a redeeming quality? Is he supposed to like Sansa at least a little bit in the series? The books actually never discussed the topic what Joffrey himself thought about Sansa before the whole Mycah incident...

It also shows that Cersei is really to blame for Joffrey's personality to no small extent, and that it also shows that her paranoia was always there (somewhat grounded at this time, due to the incest and all, but still).

Lena Headey is one of the main reasons I got into the books as her protrayal of Sarah Connor is my favorite in the entire Terminator Universe and changed my life. ;P

She really stole the trailer for me.

I don't know if Joffery is being redeemed as more as he might be really digging on Sansa so much so that Cersei is sitting him down and warning him that if you think with one head instead of the other that you might be in a whole world of hurt.

I think she's convaying a sympathy that I think many would have for her in the first book when it was just her and Jamie in love and Robert abusing her.

It will be in Season two is when we start seeing a less Sympathetic character, though if you ask some people (Me being one of them.) She is always a sympethetic.

Cersei is my second favorite Character.

Lena Headey is one of the main reasons I got into the books as her protrayal of Sarah Connor is my favorite in the entire Terminator Universe and changed my life. ;P

She really stole the trailer for me.

I don't know if Joffery is being redeemed as more as he might be really digging on Sansa so much so that Cersei is sitting him down and warning him that if you think with one head instead of the other that you might be in a whole world of hurt.

I think she's convaying a sympathy that I think many would have for her in the first book when it was just her and Jamie in love and Robert abusing her.

It will be in Season two is when we start seeing a less Sympathetic character, though if you ask some people (Me being one of them.) She is always a sympethetic.

Cersei is my second favorite Character.

Wasn't Lena amazing in the Sarah Connor Chronicles? She and Summer Glau were the only reason I tuned in, truth be told. I cannot wait to see how she portrays Cersei!

Lena Headey was a good Sarah Connor, that is not my issue here. But she was no Linda Hamilton, and there are shoes out there which are too big for anyone. I did not like this series because of its canon issues, I did not like the arc of season 2 very much, and the last episode was very much a slap in the face of the audience. I really thought the time of shows who do this kind of stuff 'hey, we are canceled, so we fuck our audience in the last episode and resolve nothing at all, and give them weirdo time travel crap thing' were over.

Lena Headey was a good Sarah Connor, that is not my issue here. But she was no Linda Hamilton, and there are shoes out there which are too big for anyone. I did not like this series because of its canon issues, I did not like the arc of season 2 very much, and the last episode was very much a slap in the face of the audience. I really thought the time of 'hey, we are canceled, so we fuck our audience in the last episode and resolve nothing at all, and give them weirdo time travel crap thing'.

It was among the worst shows I ever watched entirely. Season 2 was almost unbearable, with some episodes practically void of meaning. I remember a funeral with lots of conversations and no action at all. The end was something like "Uhh.. WTF!". Completely anticlimatic. So, the show didn't let me see Lena Headey's qualities. Here so far she looks like she was born for this role. And in the latest releases she shows a more human face, up to now in the trailers she was always sort of out of reach royal. So, we'll see a full-blooded Cersei, I have no doubt about that.

and the last episode was very much a slap in the face of the audience. I really thought the time of shows who do this kind of stuff 'hey, we are canceled, so we fuck our audience in the last episode and resolve nothing at all, and give them weirdo time travel crap thing' were over.

When they wrote and shot that episode they did not know they were canceled. That was supposed to be the jumping off point for Season 3. Considering it's a show in part about time travel, exploring the (possible) quantum effect of of alternate universes splitting and interacting with one another is fully in keeping with the themes of the show. I rather liked that turn in that show, I just wish it could have been explored further in additional seasons.

I admit that I liked the whole plot about 'the other Skynet', and the hints about rebelling self-aware machines back in the future (T2 actually pointed toward that direction with establishing that Skynet blocks the higher 'brain functions' of its servants), and I could see the whole time travel thing actually leading this series toward T3, but in the end time traveling is mostly poorly done, leads to lots and lots of logical problems, and is just not worth the effort. Especially not in a setting which could have worked really without this additional luggage. The development of Skynet and his counterpart would have been as interesting - in my opinion - without this huge amount of time traveling.

When they wrote and shot that episode they did not know they were canceled. That was supposed to be the jumping off point for Season 3. Considering it's a show in part about time travel, exploring the (possible) quantum effect of of alternate universes splitting and interacting with one another is fully in keeping with the themes of the show. I rather liked that turn in that show, I just wish it could have been explored further in additional seasons.

Exactly ...

In fact the show creator and runner stated that going into the future was always going to be the plan.

He had four years planned out.

And I would argue that Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor had less Character and devolpement than Lena did ... Linda Hamilton was play the extremes all the time, while Lena was playing a well rounded hero almost all the time.

Though if I'm going to be honest, TSCC is my favorite show of all time, so...

Either way my love of Lena Headey brought me to this point of being on these boards.

I think its important to remember that in the books Varys is portrayed as an 'actor'. He assumes multiple roles, disguises, personas etc. Publically he presents an effeminate, unctious face, but we see glimpses of a more serious side several times. The clearest one being his meeting with Ned before the execution. Varys is undoubtably a real 'character' with real personal goals and ambitions. He's even better than Littlefinger at disguising them however.

It remains to be seen how well the actor pulls of the role, he certainly looks the part.

I'm not sure what I think of Lena's Cersei yet. I'd like to see her show a little more range in her acting if I'm honest.

She and Summer Glau were the only reason I tuned in, truth be told. I cannot wait to see how she portrays Cersei!

Summer Glau!! Let's find a role for her.. what about maergary? (or whatever it's spelled) or gilly? I want summer glau!! xD

Summer Glau!! Let's find a role for her.. what about maergary? (or whatever it's spelled) or gilly? I want summer glau!! xD

Maergary would be Amazing!

I would die of Glee if Summer and Lena Once again sparred over another one of Lena Headey's Character's son's.

:fencing:

She could also be Jayne Westerling ... If I think about it Summer Glau does match Jayne's discription to the teeth.

Including doe brown eyes.

Summer Glau would be an abomination on this show. An absolute travesty. She's one of the worst actresses I've ever seen and is basically this generation's version of Lucy Lawless - a bad actress who is hot who is put into sci-fi shows just to boost the geek cred.

Lena Headey's performances for Cersei have really blown me away. She is so effortlessly seductive and mercurial in her acting, and she really brings what I wanted from Cersei in AGOT - someone who can play the game. She isn't cackling, she isn't obviously villainous, she's just powerful and obvious in her power.

This was the Cersei I wanted to read about in Feast.

She's probably the person I'm most excited to see 'live' of the characters from the books. Well, her and Tyrion.

Summer Glau would be an abomination on this show. An absolute travesty. She's one of the worst actresses I've ever seen and is basically this generation's version of Lucy Lawless - a bad actress who is hot who is put into sci-fi shows just to boost the geek cred.

Lena Headey's performances for Cersei have really blown me away. She is so effortlessly seductive and mercurial in her acting, and she really brings what I wanted from Cersei in AGOT - someone who can play the game. She isn't cackling, she isn't obviously villainous, she's just powerful and obvious in her power.

This was the Cersei I wanted to read about in Feast.

She's probably the person I'm most excited to see 'live' of the characters from the books. Well, her and Tyrion.

I agree with all you said about Headey ... 1,000 percent.

I think that Glau just hasn't been given range to show what she can do. She is the best Terminator actor and she really shined in the episode of "Alison from Palmdale" Which was an origin story in which she played three different character almost all at once.

So I think people just need to give her a chance in something other than weird Characters.

Summer Glau + Lyanna = Amazing ...

I would love to see that.

Archived