Game of Thrones/Borgias Throwdown

Brude

Though my loyalty goes unerringly to GoT, I'll watch the Borgias too. Jeremy Irons in the trailers blew me away. A Blackfish gone to the dark side.

Borgias' accents: from the trailers I've felt that they go for a generally unaccented English, with some inconsistence on the names. I'm Italian so I can't judge the English very well, but Colm Feore is the one who pronounces Italian names better.

i think all 3 are on sky or terestrial tv in the uk so i'll watch all of them, though i will probably record one of them for a later date, it does seem a bit overkill.

Camelot is on Channel 4, GoT and Borgias are both Sky Atlantic.

Though my loyalty goes unerringly to GoT, I'll watch the Borgias too. Jeremy Irons in the trailers blew me away. A Blackfish gone to the dark side.

I just watched the trailer for it now, it does look like it could be very good and I agree Irons was good in it.

i'll be watching all three but with varying degrees of intrest. Camelot is just some cheap fun and it's bound to have some absurd moments that will make me laugh, after all it's Starz (but kudos on them taking a risk with their shows). The Borgias looks very good indeed, very polished and bright the total opposite of GoT which far more darker and grittier and they both seem to have top notch acting.

GoT >Borgias >Camelot for me.

Agree :)

I'm Italian so I can't judge the English very well

So, can you understand me when i say i'm kinda tired of the borgias?

BTW, their trailer was pretty cool... because of the music, i think. WithinTemptation FTW!!

I don't see why anyone has to say 'I'll watch x but not y'. The stuff is on demand and shown in many other ways too. It's not like the olden days where you had to choose which showed up when.

So, can you understand me when i say i'm kinda tired of the borgias?

BTW, their trailer was pretty cool... because of the music, i think. WithinTemptation FTW!!

LOL, Italians in general are not too big on history, so no, we're not over-Borgia-ed. I've seen maybe a couple of books on Lucrezia in the libraries, but I might be wrong because that is not my favourite history period.

This might change with the series, however. I want the Rodrigo action figure. :D

Thanks for the title of the song, it's really haunting!

EDITED: oh wait, that's not the title, that's the group. I'll need more research.

LOL, Italians in general are not too big on history, so no, we're not over-Borgia-ed.

Huh, I thought that if nothing else, Alexander VI's reputation as the great poisoner who was killed when the last victim switched the drinks on him was rather well known?

Anyway, didn't know about the Borgias series, but it certainly looks very interesting. And probably will make it here far quicker than AGOT, from what I know about our TV channels.

Camelot? A millionth +1 interpretation of Arthuriana? Meh. I am getting really allergic to it - when will they get tired of re-making one story again and again?! Aren't there other interesting myths around?

Huh, I thought that if nothing else, Alexander VI's reputation as the great poisoner who was killed when the last victim switched the drinks on him was rather well known?

Anyway, didn't know about the Borgias series, but it certainly looks very interesting. And probably will make it here far quicker than AGOT, from what I know about our TV channels.

Camelot? A millionth +1 interpretation of Arthuriana? Meh. I am getting really allergic to it - when will they get tired of re-making one story again and again?! Aren't there other interesting myths around?

Ciao compatriota! (or it seems so, at least)

Of course the Borgia story is mostly known; I meant that in Italy, as far as popular culture, it's less overused than other, more popular periods or characters, such as Leonardo da Vinci, the Middle Ages, the Templars, Napoleon etc., or indeed Camelot or the Celts. I judge solely by the amount of books dedicated to each topic.

Caught the pilot of "Camelot" the other night, and my god, is it laughably bad. Gratuitous sex scenes, an annoying lead character, and some pretty poor acting all around with the exception of Eva Green. Actually, I'm hoping Eva Green gets cast for Melisande now ;) Or Claire Forlani, who is equally stunning.

That aside, I also thought the pilot of Spartacus: Blood and Sand was over-the-top ridiculous, but then that turned out for the better by the 4th episode. Not sure if STARZ can turn wax into gold a second time though.

EDITED: oh wait, that's not the title, that's the group. I'll need more research.

OffTopic#1

The title is "Jillian".

I love that band, their vocalis is awesome

OffTopic#2

Wow is this an italian reunion then? I'm an expatriate, i didn't know ASOIAF is so popular there. Nice news

BTW, i will watch the borgias, but online.

Sunday nights will be HBO only ;)

I plan to watch both the Borgias and A Game of Thrones, although I'll probably watch the Borgias on On Demand since I get up way too early for that much Sunday night TV. OTOH, I will watch Camelot but probably on Netflix and probably not until later in the year. I only have so much stamina for the same overall "type" of show and I'm not terribly interested in making the effort to watch three of them in the same time period.

I am rather looking forward to seeing the Borgias though... :)

Ciao compatriota! (or it seems so, at least)

No, sorry for creating a false impression. Not an Italian. Though I may live among your former Imperial Overlords, depending on your location, mwa-ha-ha! I just meant to show that Alexander VI Borgia is anecdotally known pretty far and wide as a poisoner Pope who ended up poisoning himself.

Caught the pilot of "Camelot" the other night, and my god, is it laughably bad. Gratuitous sex scenes, an annoying lead character, and some pretty poor acting all around with the exception of Eva Green. Actually, I'm hoping Eva Green gets cast for Melisande now ;) Or Claire Forlani, who is equally stunning.

I just need to point out that Claire Forlani, while gorgeous, is the worst.actress.ever. Just awful. Her as Mel is just a terrifyingly bad thought.

Why compare them? Borgais doesn't even look medieval/fantasy in a way. I think GoT and Camelot should be going head to head, as they are closer in category.

For the same reason that GoT is comparable to both "Rome" and "I, Claudius." Though it's fantasy, it's plot is much more about the skulduggery and political intrigues that are found in those stories than with the typical heroic quests that most fantasy follows. The Borgias offers the same sort of setting.

OffTopic#1

The title is "Jillian".

I love that band, their vocalis is awesome

OffTopic#2

Wow is this an italian reunion then? I'm an expatriate, i didn't know ASOIAF is so popular there. Nice news

Thank you! LOL, yes, it seems there's a lot of Italians on the ASOIAF boards. Most of my friends are fans; there are high expectations here.

No, sorry for creating a false impression. Not an Italian. Though I may live among your former Imperial Overlords, depending on your location, mwa-ha-ha! I just meant to show that Alexander VI Borgia is anecdotally known pretty far and wide as a poisoner Pope who ended up poisoning himself.

Former Imperial Overlords? Hee hee, I wouldn't know of that, I only recognize the Ostrogothic Kingdom. :D

For the same reason that GoT is comparable to both "Rome" and "I, Claudius." Though it's fantasy, it's plot is much more about the skulduggery and political intrigues that are found in those stories than with the typical heroic quests that most fantasy follows. The Borgias offers the same sort of setting.

Not to mention that it seems the Lannisters are very closely based at least on the rumors about the Borgias (Cesare and Lucrezia as the models for our twins and Rodrigo as the model for Tywin Lannister.) Indeed, I commented elsewhere that Machiavelli probably would have approved of Tywin's "better to be feared than loved" stance (and Cesare Borgia is one of the examples that Machiavelli uses in The Prince.

IMO Camelot is not even in the same category. Of what I saw (the pilot) it's way, waaay behind GoT in many areas.

The Borgias sounds exciting and being a fan of Assassin's Creed I'm sure to give it a chance. There is intrigue, murder, incest and so on. However, it's not fantasy. It's still within some historical framework like say, Rome. I bet no one was surprised that Cesar was killed and Brutus delivered the final blow, right. As far as major plot developments are concerned, The Borgias cannot be as creative and perhaps surprising to the viewers. For the fans that really like it, it only takes some time in Wikipedia to learn what happened during that period.

So, I'll give them all a chance, but I bet GoT will be better, mainly for combining fantasy and politics, getting the best of both competitors. On paper at least, I think it has an edge.

Archived