Lannister and Baratheon Feauterettes

Westeros

Oh, man, Christmas has come very early indeed, as TV.com has the first look at two of the forthcoming featurettes, featuring House Lannister and House Baratheon. See them below. The Lannister featurette gives us our first look at Charles Dance at Lord Tywin(!) and the Baratheon featurette gives us our first look at Gethin Anthony as Lord Renly and a brief glimpse at Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister… at the boar hunt scene.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Tywin! Even in that 0.3 second glimpse, I love what I'm seeing.

Ran, is Harrenhal really that close to Kings Landing? I thought it was closer to Riverrun?

ETA: Where it is on the HBO map is more where Rosby was supposed to be, no?

It is indeed a little closer to Riverrun than to King's Landing in the books. Medieval maps were not notorious for their accuracy, I suppose. But its location in relation to the crossing of the Trident is about right -- it's to the southwest, on the shores of the God's Eye. Rosby is much, much nearer King's Landing, just a day or two north. Harrenhal should be nearer to a week and a half from KL.

Posted a screencap (low res) of Tywin here, and of Lyanna's statue here.

It is indeed a little closer to Riverrun than to King's Landing in the books. Medieval maps were not notorious for their accuracy, I suppose. But its location in relation to the crossing of the Trident is about right -- it's to the southwest, on the shores of the God's Eye. Rosby is much, much nearer King's Landing, just a day or two north. Harrenhal should be nearer to a week and a half from KL.

Posted a screencap (low res) of Tywin here, and of Lyanna's statue here.

Thanks, Ran. :)

Also, the look in Dance's eyes in that screencap is positively chilling.

I just paused the video where the map is...I think I was thinking the bigger of the two castles (the one above where Harrenhal is written) was Harrenhal, not the one that's directly above the God's Eye.

Charles Dance is Tywin straight out of the books. Very cool.

Almost as intriguing is Bronn and Tyrion on horseback looking knackered. Tyrion looked like he was in heavier armour than what he had in the Vale, so that to me looked like part of the Battle of the Green Fork, indicating we'll see a reasonable bit of it. It's also interesting that we'll see the boar hunt scene rather than it happening off-page.

Dance certainly fits the role of Tywin well from a visual perspective. I've never seen Dance in anything else, but I don't doubt he has the acting chops to pull off the role. It was interesting to see another glimpse of Renly. Didn't he seem to be sporting facial hair when our glimpse of him at the tourney showed him clean shaven? I only had time for one viewing though before I had to go to work, but I think he looks better with the facial hair.

I'm really impressed with the bits I've seen of the actor that plays Joffrey too, and I think he'll be able to show us the sweet prince Sansa fell in love with at first, and then his transition into the monster we all love to hate after he has Ned beheaded.

I'm surprised the Baratheon clip made no mention of Stannis though unless I overlooked it, but maybe they didn't want to further confuse people since we won't see him in the first season. I wish the Lannister clip had show us a glimpse of Lancel or Kevan as well, but probably for the same reason they didn't mention Stannis; they wanted to keep it as pared down as possible for new viewers.

That's unfortunate. I didn't even log into anything (I have no idea what my Comcast account username or password is and I've never once logged into anything Comcast related) but maybe just by virtue of being connected via Comcast? Can they do that? Or is it that I'm in the US?

It does look like Fancast is needed. Hopefully HBO will be releasing them more widely in coming days.

I can play them, and I have Time Warner. Maybe it's a US thing?

ETA: You should be warned about the Ned one...they show him beheading Will. Took me off-guard. I actually said, "Oooh!!!"

So very much to mention. Yeah...they show the head coming off. First glimpse of Theon talking. Lots of interaction between the characters, much of it straight out of the books. VERY cute interaction between the Stark boys and Tyrion and Jaime. Only about halfway through the videos and I've seen gobs of stuff I've not seen in any of the others.

Gethin mentions Stannis briefly as someone we'd meet later (2nd season).

Where's Julandro? He can see Eugene in the Baratheon featurette!

Oh, I didn't realize we saw Lancel in the Baratheon featurette. I definitely need to watch it again as my first and only viewing before going to work was rushed. I'm glad Stannis did get a mention after all too.

I hope I can view the Comcast stuff when I get home.

So very much to mention. Yeah...they show the head coming off. First glimpse of Theon talking. Lots of interaction between the characters, much of it straight out of the books. VERY cute interaction between the Stark boys and Tyrion and Jaime. Only about halfway through the videos and I've seen gobs of stuff I've not seen in any of the others.

Yeah, smegma, thank you for linking this. I'm up to the Tyrion video. There is so much more in these than we've seen. I feel so spoiled! (In a good way!) :)

Did you catch Tyrion's mismatched eye colors? It's the first time I've seen it. And it seems they've opted to not do that in the series? But in some of the talking heads, he's wearing a brown contact in his right eye. Interesting.

One of the quotes from the Cat video, Fairley saying "she learns to play the role like a man, becoming a warrior of sorts" and they also talk about her children being important to her, etc. While some may feel that Cat is being pigeonholed, I think they really are going to try to show her character arc as best as they can in a visual medium (and considering all of the other characters they have to breathe life into as well).

I think my favorite video so far is that of Arya.

I confess the line about Cat learning how to become a man didn't really encourage me, rather it suggested more to me what I feared, that they're going to use her arc in the story to show her finding strength she never had before. But of course we can't really say for certain yet.

Archived