Lannister and Baratheon Feauterettes

Westeros

The Jaime and Robb videos and the extended house ones are up now too.

Edit: Damn, the extended Stark one isn't up yet, and that's the one with shirtless Robb and Jon!

:(

BTW, thank you :D

Brude, but is that really something she's just learning to do in the course of the series? I always thought that all of that was from years of experience from her adult life, which she was trying to pass on to Robb, not to learn alongside Robb. I felt like the line from the clip was saying that the character was learning how to think like a man in the course of the series, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

I would say that's true in the books, but maybe less so in the series? We really don't know. Maybe that's just Fairley's interpretation or maybe they wanted to increase the arc her character takes? I really couldn't say.

Honestly, I think Tywin's role will fail unless they get him spot-on. He's supposed to be very intimidating, and I just don't get that vibe yet.

I think Charles Dance should pull intimidating off just fine (let it run through the second scene with him).

I take back my words, that is quite promising. It's just a shame we'll see him so late in the series. I hope the scene they introduce him in is as awesome as it is in the book.

Based on the fact that Tywin has a scene with Jaime that is not in the books in this featurette, I'm betting we see him a lot sooner than we do in the book. I think the scene has to take place

after Jaime flees King's Landing subsequent to the attack on Ned outside Chataya's brothel. I bet Tywin is giving Jaime command of the Lannister forces that will besiege Riverrun.

Charles Dance is an amazing actor - he was brilliant in "Bleak House"!

Based on the fact that Tywin has a scene with Jaime that is not in the books in this featurette, I'm betting we see him a lot sooner than we do in the book.

Ohhh awesome. :) I was wondering whether they would do that. Keeps Jaime involved.

I think the Lannisters will work terribly well. And Robert seems stop-on too.

If you look at the extended Lannister clip, I'm pretty sure that the moment Tywin says, "They have my son!" is on there. There's a bit where he has his back to camera but is saying something (there's a VO, so we don't hear what he's saying), followed by a turn to camera and looking severely pissed off. Looks like he's nailed that moment quite well :)

I just want to say, kudos to HBO for doing a good job with these featurettes. HBO's On Demand channel just added the Stark, Lannister/Baratheon and Targaryen ones. I showed them to my brother who has not read the books. His reaction had been "meh" to the trailers, but the featurettes did a wonderful job in introducing and explaining who the main characters were and gave a sense of the show's scope and depth of drama that really intrigued him.

Afterward, he started asking me all these questions about the back history and Robert's Rebellion, and he's really interested to see the series now where previously he was only going to watch it because I wanted him to. I'm going to make a fan out of him yet! So far, I think HBO is doing as good a job as possible to promote this show.

I think Tywin will be great. I'm afraid of Cersei though. They seem to be playing her down, quiet and contemplative instead of imperious and tempestuous. I was worried that Lena Headey wouldnt be able to pull this role off and so far its not looking good. I dont know if its the Director/Writers or her acting.

Headey's Cersei kinda reminds me of the Cersei some people wish she was (deadly and incisive) rather than who she is/ended up being (all over the place). If we get beyond season one it'll be interesting to see her development.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing her progress or go into decline over the course of the series. In the first book, she comes off a lot more collected than by books 3/4, because she's under a lot less stress and has relatively more control over the situation. She's winning the game of thrones. If they play her craziness that becomes apparent especially in AFFC as something that's caused by stress and losing control, rather than something that she was hiding all along (or just bad writing?) I wouldn't be unhappy. It makes sense.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing her progress or go into decline over the course of the series. In the first book, she comes off a lot more collected than by books 3/4, because she's under a lot less stress and has relatively more control over the situation. She's winning the game of thrones. If they play her craziness that becomes apparent especially in AFFC as something that's caused by stress and losing control, rather than something that she was hiding all along (or just bad writing?) I wouldn't be unhappy. It makes sense.

I agree - as I said in other threads about Cat, HBO is going to want to show character development over a course of the series - even if it's not exactly true to canon, it will probably still show the characters eventually revealed as who they end up as anyway. As a visual medium that demands movement in the characters, it's not an unwise move by HBO to adjust their approach to some characters. What we see in episode one of season one will change and evolve eventually if they get to season three - but if they do it right, all the changes to the characters will feel organic and inherent to their nature. It's more interesting to people to watch people flesh out over time rather than remain static. It actually gives me confidence in their approach to the medium, realizing they can't just hit the viewer with everything about a character in the first episode, or else it just remains about plot and twists - and HBO is "better" than that. I give the changes a thumbs up.

I'm also happy so far with how the show seems to be handling Cersei: she seems to be actually somewhat competent, and even sympathetic at times. As I see it, that's actually consistent with how she's portrayed in the first couple of books, but if it's a change then it's a welcome one.

In the event the series reaches a fourth season, of course, such a level-headed Cersei really would be unfaithful to the books. But, honestly, even that wouldn't make me too unhappy: I never really liked what was, to me, Cersei's rapid descent into outright crazed stupidity.

Cersei's rapid descent into outright crazed stupidity.

Power corrupts. Besides even in book 2 she kept trying to destroy Tyrion when he was just trying to defend the city against the Baratheon boys.

While I agree that she was more collected, you could still imagine her tossing her head back and corking out an evil cackle or two. It's harder with this Cersei, and I don't think it is strictly necessary to reflect a more competent person, since she came off that way in the books without that element. Still I don't mind it, it's just a difference that probably suits Headey's talents better. Unlike the changes to some other characters this one doesn't much bother me, I'm just interested in seeing it develop over time.

While I agree that she was more collected, you could still imagine her tossing her head back and corking out an evil cackle or two. It's harder with this Cersei, and I don't think it is strictly necessary to reflect a more competent person, since she came off that way in the books without that element. Still I don't mind it, it's just a difference that probably suits Headey's talents better. Unlike the changes to some other characters this one doesn't much bother me, I'm just interested in seeing it develop over time.

Maybe she thinks it's more regal to keep her evil cackles to herself. ;)

I have a feeling she'll be immediately less sympathetic when we see her interacting with the Stark kids and Joffrey. So far they've only given us a glimpse of that.

Yeah, I agree that Headey lacks a certain something that we see from Cersei in the books, even in GoT and CoK. I am rereading CoK and there is a lot of back and forth between Tyrion and Cersei, and while I can see Dinklage pulling off the sarcasm of Tyrion, I have trouble seeing Headey pull of some of Cersei's more evil lines.

Archived