4th Link of the Maester's Path

Westeros

This particular style of social marketing will most likely kill social marketing as an effective tool for creating a buzz for a new product. I don't spam my friends. My friends know this about me. They know that when I do say something, it is because I am genuinely interested in it. Not because I am getting a Space Turnip in FarmVille or 10,000 free chips in WPT Poker. I am not going to break that rule just to get extra preview commercials for GOT. When I know that someone linking ME to a site did it for some cheesy reward, I am strongly disinclined toward the linked object even if it might have interested me otherwise.

I genuinely enjoyed most elements of the puzzles on the Maester's Path. And would have enjoyed them more had they been better executed and conceived. As well, I am and will continue to be a tireless advocate for this series of books and this show. I've given away 20 copies of AGOT over the years - of course I'm going to tell all my friends about the show.

But I'm not gonna link them to some f**king website unless they ask me to. And by then, they've just signed up themselves.

:agree: Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

So far I've posted a trailer or two on my wall and sent the extended preview to my cousin and my mother. And shared once the link that gave me an acolyte, but not going to repeat that. That's as far as I go.

It's neat that the years (some of them at least) link up to big events in Westeros' history

The Great Spring Sickness, 209 is the when the worst of this happens but I suppose it could have started in 208.

Events of The Sworn Sword (Dunk and Egg II) take place, don’t think there is anything in the text that connects to that story, though Egg does start wearing a hat later.

The Bold deeds at a Tourney at Kings Landing refers to Ser Barristan Selmy being knighted at the Winter Tourney at Kings Landing where he defeated both Prince Duncan Targaryen and Ser Duncan the Tall.

The Great Tourney at Harrenhal

Not sure what the unrest and bloodshed in Lannisport refer to, could be Tywin wiping out the Raines (not sure when that happened)

Nothing in the text to link to events.

Seems to me you got some of your numbers wrong:

mostly the 7/8/9 things:

209 for the great spring sickness. That would lead to some other stuff:

211 as you said

254 as well

281 for the great tourney at Harrenhal, the year of false spring (referenced in the journal). The tourney is max. one year before Robert's rebellion starts, and the Purple Wedding is supposed to "ring in" a new year/century/"Lannister era" (according to Tywin and Tyrion in ASoS). So a space of some 19-20 years between the tourney and the events of the novels seems about right, at least more than 29-30 years.

289 for the unrest at Lannisport. The Greyjoy Rebellion occurs in that year, starting with Euron and Victarion burning the Lannister fleet at anchor in Lannisport. This also gives us the neat nine year gap between the Rebellion and the next date (remember, Theon was taken as a ward/hostage nine years before the start of AGoT):

298 The beginning of AGoT. Winter is coming.

Seems to me you got some of your numbers wrong:

mostly the 7/8/9 things:

209 for the great spring sickness. That would lead to some other stuff:

211 as you said

254 as well

281 for the great tourney at Harrenhal, the year of false spring (referenced in the journal). The tourney is max. one year before Robert's rebellion starts, and the Purple Wedding is supposed to "ring in" a new year/century/"Lannister era" (according to Tywin and Tyrion in ASoS). So a space of some 19-20 years between the tourney and the events of the novels seems about right, at least more than 29-30 years.

289 for the unrest at Lannisport. The Greyjoy Rebellion occurs in that year, starting with Euron and Victarion burning the Lannister fleet at anchor in Lannisport. This also gives us the neat nine year gap between the Rebellion and the next date (remember, Theon was taken as a ward/hostage nine years before the start of AGoT):

298 The beginning of AGoT. Winter is coming.

I was using numbers somone at WiC had posted and trying to fit events as best I could, it turns out they did get some numbers mixed up though and the events as you post them fit a lot better.

Archived