Sneak Peeks in Houston and Elsewhere

Westeros

GameOfThrones_Teaser04_Screencap_33_M.jpgThe immediate question that comes up after our reporting that Canal+ Sweden is showing the first two episodes of Game of Thrones in a Stockholm theater is… what about theatrical sneak peeks in the U.S.?

As if on cue, the Studio Movie Grill CityCentre theater in Houston, Texas has proved that, yes indeed, these will be coming. Via this image posted on Twitter, we have received one of the first looks into what one of these events would look like. So if you’re in the vicinity of Houston, check the image and submit your entry into the drawing for two reserved seats for the showing on April 12th, fully five days before the premiere on HBO.

As to other cities? Well, word is HBO has some plans afoot for some other major cities, so keep an eye out…

Visit the Site!

GameOfThrones_Teaser04_Screencap_33_M.jpgThe immediate question that comes up after our reporting that Canal+ Sweden is showing the first two episodes of Game of Thrones in a Stockholm theater is… what about theatrical sneak peeks in the U.S.?

As if on cue, the Studio Movie Grill CityCentre theater in Houston, Texas has proved that, yes indeed, these will be coming. Via this image posted on Twitter, we have received one of the first looks into what one of these events would look like. So if you’re in the vicinity of Houston, check the image and submit your entry into the drawing for two reserved seats for the showing on April 12th, fully five days before the premiere on HBO.

As to other cities? Well, word is HBO has some plans afoot for some other major cities, so keep an eye out…

Visit the Site!

Sweet! I hope SF is on the list of US cities!

The CityCentre thing's a private event, though a few tickets will be given out as prizes in competitions across various social media. They are currently only working with HBO for a screening in Houston CityCentre, not at any of the other SMG locations. (Yes, I did email Studio Movie Grill about this yesterday, what makes you ask? :P)

The CityCentre thing's a private event, though a few tickets will be given out as prizes in competitions across various social media. They are currently only working with HBO for a screening in Houston CityCentre, not at any of the other SMG locations. (Yes, I did email Studio Movie Grill about this yesterday, what makes you ask? :P)

I wonder who the VIPs the non-available tickets are reserved for are and how many people will be attending?

That, I don't know. Possibly no VIPs at all, as in lead actors or showrunners - I'm not sure what size their screens are. I know this drawing given above is giving away 10 tickets (from their copy in that image), and I was told that they will be offering "a few" on Facebook over the next few weeks.

As more places start having / announcing screenings, it'll be interesting to see what areas and venues have been chosen! There've been rumors of what, Philly and Chicago as well so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Ticket taken.

If anybody else is coming to this, I'd love to take a little moment to geek out about it after - anybody interested in grabbing a bite to eat after? (I'm guessing they won't serve during the screening, though it is SMG....) I can't stay long, as I'll have to head back to Dallas, so no fears about this becoming the BwB assault on Houston. ;)

Still nothing for NYC? :bawl:

Edit: I've tried emailing HBO at HBO.com, but they don't seem to have a Contact Us link/page. The one I found through a google search doesn't work (maybe they took it down). I don't know who to contact to find out if they will be inviting fans to the NYC premier (or if there even will be a NYC premier)...

Was able to be at this event tonight, thanks a bunch to LordRhaegarLieefAeryksson (hey next time you're in Houston I'd love to return the favor and buy you dinner).

Overall I thought it was excellent, I think any one who's a fan of the books will love it.

Mainly I'll comment on the deviations from the books. do not read if you want to enjoy the episode fresh for yourself.

The Tyrion/Jaime scene: This was good, it serves to establish the closeness of the brothers.

The Sansa/Cat scene: Liked this one as well. In the books we never get to see any mother/daughter time between Cat and her daughters. But it moved the motivation of wanting Sansa to be queen plot all onto Sansa, instead of Catelyn. Catelyn throughout the episode wants nothing to do with KL. I know this change in her annoys some people.

Ned/Jaime confrontation: I wasn't really crazy about this scene. But I guess they wanted to make Ned more of a warrior/fighter than he was in the books.

Jon not being allowed in the feast hall at all: I'm not sure I like this, was this really necessary, when half of Winterfell at the feast but Jon isn't allowed at all? They are really pushing the Jon is the mistreated bastard angle, but I think it is a disservice to the characterization of Ned and Catelyn. By the way Dinklage does a great job of delivering the "all dwarves are bastards in the eyes of their father" line.

The Targs: I think the main thing that was missed is the incest tradition of the Targaryens. It is not mentioned at all and if you hadn't read the books you'd have no idea about that, and makes the way Viserys handles Dany even more awkward for the audience than it already is. Maybe they are saving that for a future episode.

And last but not least, the entire first Arya chapter was omitted in show. So we don't get the Arya being bad with needlework story, and we lose a lot of Jon/Arya interaction in that chapter. I really think not having this scene will lessen the impact of the Needle gift scene later on. Too bad.

Also really wish the finding the direwolves scene was a little longer, but they had to pack in a ton get to the Bran scene at the end of 60 minutes so I understand.

Thanks for the comments Scabbard. :) Surprised about Jon not been at the feast. He couldn't be exaggerating or anything?

And last but not least, the entire first Arya chapter was omitted in show. So we don't get the Arya being bad with needlework story, and we lose a lot of Jon/Arya interaction in that chapter.

So instead, we get the Arya needlework scene before the execution. That makes things clear enough I think.

Interesting about the Targaryen incest. I know it was mentioned in the interviews.

So instead, we get the Arya needlework scene before the execution. That makes things clear enough I think.

Yes, Arya doesn't exactly look happy sitting there and her work doesn't really look very nice either. It tells the same thing in a much quicker way, although it of course also means that it's more likely that some people don't quite understand it. Still, her escaping to shoot a bow should show that she much rather do something like that than do her needle work so it's not that subtle either.

Thanks for the comments Scabbard. :) Surprised about Jon not been at the feast. He couldn't be exaggerating or anything?

Interesting about the Targaryen incest. I know it was mentioned in the interviews.

No he's clearly shown outside the feast hall moping while everyone was inside having a good time.

Re. Jon at the feast. I haven't see the whole episode, was there a part where he is told he can't go in?

I just watched the clip of Jon talking to Tyrion outside, and without any context it seemed to me more like he and Tyrion had left the feast by choice since they didn't feel comfortable there. I mean, Tyrion presumably was invited, but he's also out there drinking. I saw it mainly as showing that they both feel like outcasts, not that Ned and Catelyn told Jon he had to sit outside.

There is no scene of them telling him he can't go.

You just have a scene of everyone having a good time at the feast, and a cut to Jon by himself outside in the courtyard beating up on a practice dummy with his sword, and Benjen rides in from presumably the Wall and gets off his horse and they greet each other, and Benjen asks "How come you aren't inside", and Jon says "Lady Catelyn says the presence of a bastard would offend the royal family."

Archived