Landscapes and Targaryens

Westeros

HBO has sent along the hi-resolution of some of the amazing landscapes and buildings created with visual effects magic, which at 1080p should be perfectly suited to usage as wallpapers. We’ve added them—King’s Landing, the Wall, and two Winterfell images—to the Locations section of the Game of Thrones Gallery, the most extensive collection of screen caps and other images related to the series.

Also, I had not announced this previously, but the screen caps from the House Targaryen featurette are now in the Previews gallery, starting from this image.

Visit the Site!

I'm starting to think the Dragonpit is in the picture. On the far right there is a skeletal arrangement of very narrow towers (nine spires coming out of six towers, from the look of it) and then immediately to the right is a solid, domed building. The solid, domed building looks like the Great Sept of Baelor to me (looking a lot less Sofia Hagia-like than in other renderings we've seen) but the skeletal building looks like it could be the remnants of a much larger, destroyed building. It also appears to look slightly closer than the Great Sept-like building. Assuming they've kept the geography of King's Landing more or less the same as the books and we're looking down from the north, it's possible we're seeing the Dragonpit and, behind a bit further east, the Great Sept.

Or that might not be it at all :)

Regarding the Targaryen pics, David Benioff does say 'Daenerys Stormborn' in one of the features, so I assume it will be used.

Wert, I'm wondering if the Dragonpit and the Great Sept might not be the other way round. I'm on a pre-series reread at the moment, and the Dragonpit is specifically described as having a great dome (granted, the one in the picture is not falling in to ruin, but it is a dome). The spires to me look somewhat like minarets - maybe they're giving the Sept a mosque-like look? There are seven spires.

I think the spires are part of a sort of Great Sept of Baelor complex. I'm seeing seven clear towers in this thing. We've also seen what may be the base for one of these things in one of the videos, which only goes up part way. Presumably the rest will be CGed in, in that case. If I had a guess, the idea is this is a sort of ... "dome of light", open to the sky (and the gods), over the plaza outside of the Great Sept.

I did see early concept art which did seem to show both a seven-spired Great Sept complex _and_ what I took to be the dragon pit -- a large, circular building that seemed to be entirely lacking a roof, as if a dome had collapsed entirely. But I can't see anything like that here. It's possible that they changed the concept, or it's lurking in there somewhere and we can't quite make it out, or possibly it's off-camera from this shot...

Archived