Littlefinger Featurette

So the word is that Ehle dropped out herself - I hope that's the case, cause I think HBO would have been in the wrong to be rid of her. She is a beautiful and talented actress that could have embodied Cat's complex character - while still be realistically aged into her 40's. Be that as it may, yes they did recast Fairley in the role once occupied by Ehle. That doesn't mean they didn't decide to go in a slightly different direction when the producers looked at what they had. Nearly all of the relevant behind the scenes stuff discusses how Catelyn is very practical and how she has had to endure the cold north for so long. So it does seem that they are looking to portray Cat this way - but that doesn't mean that it was always their intention. Direction often changes after the pilot is viewed and people have been able to digest the material.
I just read a post by Ran in another thread that an HBO insider leaked that Ehle left the show because of a "change in direction". I had not heard that before (or if so I forgot it) and that definitely changes my opinion of what you are saying.
Oh and I just wanted to add that I gave some serious thought into Fairley's appearance tonight - and it occurred to me that I don't think she's "ugly". She's handsome.
Totally agree. I thought "ugly" was ridiculous, but "handsome" fits very well in my opinion.

I think it was also reported that that report was made up by the person writing the article, who was not an insider. If it's the one I'm thinking of, anyway. I don't think we know exactly why Ehle left, though there are reasonable assumptions it had to do with her baby. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO tweaked the direction anyway (as a result of the actor change, not a cause), but technically I don't think we know.

I just read a post by Ran in another thread that an HBO insider leaked that Ehle left the show because of a "change in direction".

He didn't say that. He said when Ehle left they went in a different direction. Not that the change of direction caused her to leave. Important distinction. :) As Lady Blackfish said, she probably left for other reasons.

They may have changed direction anyhow or her departure gave them a chance to review how Cat would work.

I seem to have misremembered the quote. IT came via James Hibberd, who has contacts at HBO, and he wrote that the issues were "behind the scenes". It may have been some other report that claimed it was a direction change thing.

Surprised to see so many females here arguing over the attractiveness of Michelle Fairley. Usually it's a cross-gender debate :P

I'll have to admit, I didn't like the Fairley casting at first, cause her photo-stills of past theater productions made her look grandmotherly. No, I wasn't expecting a "smoking hottie," but the book did portray Catelyn as in her early thirties (I believe she was still a teenager when she had Robb, no?), still attractive, and coveted for her beauty when younger. I thought Jennifer Ehle fit that look perfectly.

But considering all the cast was aged up, and as others mentioned, the producers wanted to highlight the stark (pun intended) difference between living in the North and in King's Landing, they likely wanted an older Catelyn, one with not so soft features to contrast from Cersei. In that respect, and after seeing the previews, I think Fairley will encapture Catelyn's spirit perfectly, if not her exact look in the novels.

Archived