So we're having an election or something

Aemon Stark

blasted_saber,

We should all keep this mind. EC frowns upon announcing election results early. The ASOIF HBO tv discussion people might be upset if the whole board gets shut down due to us. lol

:lol: Yeah, they might frown upon us a bit if that came to pass...

Premature Transmission

Prohibition — premature transmission of results

329. No person shall transmit the result or purported result of the vote in an electoral district to the public in another electoral district before the close of all of the polling stations in that other electoral district.

http://lois-laws.jus...-123.html#h-104

You know, I always wondered how they'd control telephone conversations in that regard?

Electoral Fraud already starting:

Elections Canada is warning voters not to trust anyone but the agency itself about where they should vote on Monday after reports that some voters are being told to go to the wrong polling stations — some up to an hour away from their homes.

Spokeswoman Francine Bastien said Elections Canada has had reports from several ridings of voters being given false information directing them to the wrong place to vote. Most, but not all, are in Ontario. She confirmed Kitchener-Waterloo is one of the affected ridings.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/01/cv-election-wrong-polls.html

Wow, that is sad and disturbing!

ETA: From the link:

Bastien says she can't yet address whether the election agency will investigate the false information.

I sure as hell hope that they investigate it and name/shame the perpetrators. This sort of thing has no place in our democracy!

Someone spell it out to me because apparently I'm a moron. How does deliberately misleading people about what polling station they're supposed to vote at in any way benefit one party or another? Grief people yes, but did I miss implications in the article that this was targeted at a particular demographic such as youth or seniors?

halO bendeR,

Someone spell it out to me because apparently I'm a moron. How does deliberately misleading people about what polling station they're supposed to vote at in any way benefit one party or another? Grief people yes, but did I miss implications in the article that this was targeted at a particular demographic such as youth or seniors?

Well, presumably whoever is behind this is targeting people that they somehow know (or strongly suspect) will vote for the 'wrong' party. I think we don't have enough information yet as to whether individuals were targeted or specific demographics.

Who benefits from low voter turnout?

FWIW the Libs are claiming that they were the ones targeted.

Also, at a certain point you look back at a party's MO and get a strong indication of who could stoop so low. If you leave your lunch in room with Elmo, Grover and Cookie Monster and return to find your Oreos missing..... I'm not saying I KNOW the Cons did it, but it's not unfair to suspect them.

OK, I'm going to chalk up my misunderstanding to the vagueness of original article. I read this CBC article and it made a lot more sense to me.

While I don't doubt that there are corrupt individuals in Canadian politics, this act seems almost too brazen for an actual politician/high-up campaign supporter to attempt.

They might be smart enough to keep some degree of plausible deniability, but do not underestimate just how low the Conservative leadership can go. The in-and-out scheme, the dirty tricks manual, etc. Since Harper took office it seems like the Cons have been emulating Karl Rove's style. The nasty (and intelligence insulting)attack adds and suppressing votes. If it can happen there, it can happen here. Anything there sound familiar?

Archived