[NO SPOILERS] Ratings and Demographics

Ran

Ohhh no! Episode 6 has decreased of audience. There is no reason for alarm, but I would have liked a series resounding success.

Yeah it's really strange how the audience was growing until all the action took place, lol. Maybe the amped up violence turned some people off? I really don't get it.

Yes, its strange. I guess the question is--what about Ep. #5 had people throwing their remote down and saying in effect 'Meh, I'm done with this thing!' I'm at a loss for an answer...

Theon's pc limp-on? I believe EP5 was the first EP to show a willy. It was also the first EP to have gay sex, with the cheesy slurpy-slurp sound; I think they used the same sound file as they did in EP1 with Ros on Tyrion.

Coincidence, or sure fire straight male audience turn-off (not all obviously, but some)?

I also know a few women who are somewhat put off by scenes of non-hetero sex (I also know some who are rather titillated by male gay sex scenes). They're not homophobes per se, they just don't like seeing sex scenes which are not within their particular orientation. I doubt it would be enough to turn them off the show though, given some of these women went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' knowing what they were in for.

Theon's pc limp-on? I believe EP5 was the first EP to show a willy. It was also the first EP to have gay sex, with the cheesy slurpy-slurp sound; I think they used the same sound file as they did in EP1 with Ros on Tyrion.

Coincidence, or sure fire straight male audience turn-off (not all obviously, but some)?

I also know a few women who are somewhat put off by scenes of non-hetero sex (I also know some who are rather titillated by male gay sex scenes). They're not homophobes per se, they just don't like seeing sex scenes which are not within their particular orientation. I doubt it would be enough to turn them off the show though, given some of these women went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' knowing what they were in for.

I don't know, the show Spartacus had plenty of male genitalia and gay sex as well, but it didn't seem to have a negative effect on ratings.

I'm not worried, but I'll be very sincere.

I was hoping that the series had an audience of more than 3 million viewers. It had all the ingredients to become an ultimate success. I mean seriously. Americans do not understand. They just want to see action and wolves running around like in the movie twilight. The complex plots and well developed do not matter. I'm tired of seeing not enjoy well-crafted series. Remember:

Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, etc., were canceled because they do not had great support from the public. Also, I do not renew a third season if they maintain hearing the same results. I hope to be wrong.

As I understand it Game of thrones is getting 8 million viewers per week when you count all the repeats and on demand showings, its much more over a week than just the first showing implies.

And Rome and Deadwood weren't canceled for low ratings, they were canceled because they were too expensive for the new regime who had just come in at HBO. Seriously, man, don't panic, and don't blame stupid Americans. Stupid Americans are the ones making the series.

And Rome and Deadwood weren't canceled for low ratings, they were canceled because they were too expensive for the new regime who had just come in at HBO. Seriously, man, don't panic, and don't blame stupid Americans. Stupid Americans are the ones making the series.

I admit, I've always been a pessimist silly, but I must remember you that "A Game of Thrones” is more costly than Deadwood.

Also, I have to tell you, ten Americans, only two can recognize a good quality work.

HBO is the best, but it is a shame that in a country of over three hundred million people, only two and a half million watch the show.

But that's not all. HBO has 30 million subscribers. Answer me please. "Where are the people?

I am increasingly convinced that Americans are morons.

I don't know, the show Spartacus had plenty of male genitalia and gay sex as well, but it didn't seem to have a negative effect on ratings.

Ah ha! Speaking of Spartacus and willies. I found it rather curious that on cursory glance Theon's willie looked astonishingly similar to Crixus' willie (in Spartacus Season 2): length, girth, hue and hairiness. I'm wondering whether both were props from the same fake willie factory. I understand Mark Wahlberg used a prop for his willie scene in Boogey Nights. Having a prop guards against nervous / cold shrinkage, which we all know can cause misunderstandings, as George Costanza found out to his detriment.

I only noticed because I watched GoT Ep5 and the relevant Spartacus episode on the same day. It's not like I took screen caps or anything.

What's with dissing the America viewers? Hells, if HBO "only" has 30 million subscribers I'd say capturing 10% of them on Sunday night is a damned good result, and getting >25% of them on a weekly basis is great. There's a helluva lot of people who don't like medieval drama, and then there's those who don't like anything remotely connected to fantasy. My take on the ratings so far is that HBO could not possibly have expected any better than they're getting, and they were probably expecting less. I betcha their mark of ratings success would have been 2 million for all of Sunday and 5 million per week.

Archived