Keeping a straight face

So I have a friend who's dyslexic, so obviously doesn't read beyond what he needs to (he listens to audiobooks while driving I believe). Last time I was in the pub with him I started hassling him like mad to watch a Game of Thrones seeing as he wasn't going to read the books. He didn't need much convincing as he said he was already planning on watching it when he saw the ads. We ended up talking about the show a little and he mentioned that Sean Bean was lucky to be the main character because he usually dies in everything he does. So damn hard to keep a straight face.

The only thing I could do to not give it away with a nervous smile was to just keep talking. I decided to fill him in on the fact that Westerosi seasons aren't fixed and that Dany's POV is pretty separate to the rest just so I could get Ned dying out of my head. I hope he doesn't look up the story and find out anyway. I'm reasonably sure he won't but someone could mention it in passing.

Anyone else had to bluff to avoid giving spoilers?

One of my friends was the last in our group to read the books (this was like 7 or 8 years ago, I think). He was about half-way through GoT and we were all talking about it, and he mentioned how Ned was one of his favorite characters ever. Me and his girlfriend (who had already them) kind of went silent for a moment and then we tried to cover it by talking about something else. Later, after he got to Ned's end, he told us that he did pick up on it then and realized Ned probably wasn't going to make it.

My friend who got me into the books almost ruined the Red Wedding for me. I was part way done with the 3rd and he asked me if I'd gotten to the "wedding scene" yet. At that point I'd only read Tyrion and Sansa's wedding scene. He almost spilled the beans, but realized when I started talking about poor Sansa and their bedding that I was talking about something else.

My brother hasn't read the book, but he saw the character featurettes (kudos to HBO on them! They did a great job in getting him excited about the show). Afterward, he started asking me all sorts of questions about Robert's Rebellion and man it was difficult to not give away stuff like R+L = J, and it was hard to explain about the Lannisters without blabbing about Jaime and Cersei but somehow I succeeded (though he probably suspects there's something fishy about Rhaegar abduction Lyanna, but I seriously doubt he's going to pick up on the R + L = J theory).

Archived