Maester's Path 5th Link and NYC Food Experience

Westeros

Someone on WIC says they've got it, but nothing about how.

ETA: Take it back. "Type the letters you get by folding."

Unclear whether it's the actual text or whether it's the letter-like swirls in the border, nor whether the folding's forward, backward, or a combination.

If anyone hasn't already seen it, he has also posted the answer:

Tears of Lys

As an addendum to the above, now that I know the answer I can start to see it in the borders. Still not sure exactly how to fold.

ETA: Got it. I know the puzzle's answer's in plaintext above already, but I'm still going to hide the "how" in case anybody wants to work the folding part out for themselves. I will say that this does work in greyscale, but would really be a lot easier with a colour printout. You also only need to physically work with the last menu.

1. Fold back along the line created by the green apple halves.

2. Fold forward to bring the "unpeeled" green apple halves currently on the back flap to line up with the first batch of oranges (so bring those around to the front). This also brings that orange LB saw into line with those other oranges. You should now start to be able to see most of "Tears" and "of".

3. Fold back along the line created by the red apple halves.

4. Similar to 2, fold the "unpeeled" red apple halves currently on the back side forward, so that they line up with the second batch of oranges. This puts the downstroke under the T of Tears, and brings Ly to connect with the s.

The puzzle was :tantrum: ...tricky. The reward was great. Mark Addy, total lack of coal black hair withstanding, makes a great Robert.

If you are struggling to find novices then send an email "call" to yourself and click the link. You can put in any old email address but as long as you follow the link they get credited to your Maesters account. A reward on the 11th April.

http://itsh.bo/gMmFjL

I need 4 more novices :(

My impression of the 5 puzzles:

1) ok-ish

2) pure guesswork

3) doable, but terrible game control (or the black brothers are constantlc drunk and out of grit)

4) too difficult for what it's worth. (I might have enjoyed something like this if I had hardcopies, but not squinting at tiny pics on a screen)

5) rather random...

Instructions aren't really their forte it seems. Still, nice intentions for us nerds :)

All right, this seems as good a place as any.

http://itsh.bo/dUgEwD

Looking for 3 more novices.

Yes, I know I can make fake accounts to boost my count. I choose not to, though I understand others feel a different way. I have already sent the link out to my friends as much as I care to / dare to, so that's no longer an option either. I'm hoping there are a bunch of people reading here who haven't signed up yet and can fill all of our requests. Chances are slim, but it's worth a try.

I was supposed to do the food cart thing today, but my friend I was going to go with has been suffering from a blown out ACL and other more minor maladies, so I wound up staying home with her and doing things like fetching her beer from the fridge and watch her play Dragon Age II, which she just got today.

We're supposed to try again tomorrow. Gonna bring my video camera and hopefully get some good shots of the proceedings. We'll see.

Went to the food truck with my friend and the food was incredible. I took my camera and shot some stuff for my friend's food blog, hopefully the sound comes out okay (haven't reviewed the footage yet). The folks running the promotions for the series saw us filming and we got into talking; one of them is the guy who has been tweeting as @gameofthrones. The were all lovely.

I wanted to get more footage talking to people about the series, the books, etc., but we didn't get to that for various reasons. Might go tomorrow and try to get that then, we'll see, but I'm supposed to help another friend with a photo shoot and I don't know what time that is, or if it will conflict, so we'll see.

Seriously, though, the black fish stew was brilliant, with a whole bunch of seafoods mixed in (calamari, and shrimp I believe), and the black was from squid ink, which is just so incredibly tasty. Finally, the lemon cakes were terrific, like a meringue, sort of. Very sweet and light, but not overly sweet.

I've uploaded

for my friend's food blog at the Game of Thrones food cart on Wednesday. She hasn't done her post about it yet, but hopefully soon.

This version is pretty low resolution, but I should have a higher res version up by tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Oh man, Youtube's April Fool's goes wonderfully with that! Hah!

But thank you, Brude, that's great. Looking forward to the final version. Make sure to share the link, we'll post about it. :)

I posted the high def version, but honestly I don't think it looks much better, and it's gotten a bit squished somehow in the upload to YouTube. Editing was never my strong suit, and I'm old and learned with film on Steenbecks...this newfangled video stuff is darn confusing. What I want to know is:

A ) why is the 5 minute video I rendered after editing 1.1GB and that's not even close to max quality. Shouldn't it be smaller?

B ) why did the squishing occur when I did the upload and how can I avoid that?

You can post with a link to either version of the video, it's fine. If someone offers advice on how to fix my issues, I'll do another. But a 1.1GB file takes hours to upload to YouTube and I'd rather not have to do that again.

Archived