Bryan Cogman, Keeper of the Mythos

Westeros

GameOfThrones_Set_Visit_08_M.jpgBryan Cogman (Twitter) probably needs very little introduction to the inner core of fans who’ve been hanging on every word of the show, but in brief, Bryan is the right-hand man of the executive producers of Game of Thrones, beginning as an assistant in the early stages of first season’s preparations and moving on to work as a script editor (sort of) and eventually a writer (episode 4) for the first season.

Perhaps his most important capacity, however, has been the “keeper of the mythos”, or as he puts it, “the reference guy,” for the show. That makes him near and dear to fans, and we suspect all the more so when you learn that his fandom predated his involvement with the show…

Read the interview, and let us know what you think!

Visit the Site!

Wow amazing interview. Incredibly insightful. Really get an appreciation for how important Bryan and D&D are to keeping the show close to the story we love so much. Couldn't be in better hands from everything I've read ab them. Bn these guys and GRRMs amazing story and characters, this show is gonna be a hit; no doubt in my mind

We had rather more detail on the powerful scene as we talked, but for various reasons it was preferred if we just trim it down a lot. So I'll note it here... err, with a little spoiler code, I guess, out of an abundance of caution:

For Bryan, the most powerful scene is Ned's death, and he feels the same about the show's most powerful scene.

I chose not to ask about theories because I'm fairly sure that he knows for sure whether certain theories are true or not, and so would be in the awkward position of not being able to answer and not being able to say it's because he knows the truth (via David and Dan, who in turn have the details from George).

I chose not to ask about theories because I'm fairly sure that he knows for sure whether certain theories are true or not, and so would be in the awkward position of not being able to answer and not being able to say it's because he knows the truth (via David and Dan, who in turn have the details from George).

Interesting. I'd think they'd want to be up on commonly-held theories so as to better be able to decide which to suggest and which to ignore.

And Ran, while I am sure Bryan is doing a lovely job, to quote Catelyn, it should have been you.

Interesting. I'd think they'd want to be up on commonly-held theories so as to better be able to decide which to suggest and which to ignore.

Yes. GRRM probably had to have a "these are the things that you have to know" chat with D&D. Would love to have been there. :) GRRM probably answered some questions D&D never thought to ask!

There was discussion earlier about Robb and Theon's relationship. That is now answered by Bryan...

But more than that, we’re going to see a much more brotherly relationship between Theon and Robb,

Very interesting. :)

Archived