The Title Sequence

Westeros

We’re not going to review the show just yet after the episodes we saw, although we hope we might give some vague first impressions soon, but we feel compelled to make a special note to highlight just how amazing the opening titles for the show are. Gorgeously produced, innovative, and best of all completely acknowledging the breadth and scale of the setting. And for our money, it’s much cooler than what the pilot script allegedly described, which was simply a raven flying over a map of Westeros from point to point; that was a good idea, but this ... this is inspired.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

I'm interested in the idea of the title sequence changing every episode to reflect the locations involved. Seems a good way of avoiding confusion over not having a map to hand. Quite unusual as well, since most shows don't even change their titles every season (Babylon 5 being an honourable exception).

Also, the fact this is the same team that did Rome's title sequence sells it for me. That sequence was great.

Werthead, I agree, it's really great that they got the same people who did the ROME titles. That's even more satisfying for me because when I first saw ROME, after about 5 minutes I started thinking "Wow, this is really lovely, I've never seen world-building like this on TV... you know, I can almost kind of imagine HBO doing a really good job with A Song of Ice and Fire, if they ever decided to do something as crazy as that"... seriously, that's what went through my mind right away, and it had a lot to do with the atmosphere that the titles established.

I'm really interested in seeing if the Free Cities map, the coast of Essos and the Dothraki Sea maps are all canon from GRRM. I doubt there'll be huge amounts of detail (especially if they lop off Dorne, so presumably the Stepstones/Disputed Lands/Myr/Lys/Tyrosh/Volantis as well) but certainly enough to keep us map fiends intrigued until ADWD comes out :)

Five episodes. Have one more to watch. We've gotten up through Jaime confronting Ned outside the brothel.

We get one longish shot of an Other -- very tall -- but it's sort of in shadows so not a lot of detail. Then there's the VFX shots that we've already seen, more clearly showing the face.

Starting with this episode, I can tell that when they say 'Temp VFX', they actually mean it. There's also sound issues which I'm sure are being ADRed as we speak before airing, things like one person speaking perfectly clearly and the other having a slight, interfence-like whine humming in the background (different microphones).

The title sequence really does shift locations to follow the story, BTW. The Eyrie shows up on the map and does the whole popping-out-of-the-map thing. Very cool! The design is a definite re-imagining from the books.

Mmm... don't think it was alphabetical. I admit, I did not pay much attention to that part of it, I was just amazed at the visuals. I'll look out for it next rewatch.

WiC says: http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/the-first-fourteen/#comment-88682

Btw, a few people were asking and the credits go like this:

Sean Bean

Mark Addy

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Michelle Fairley

Lena Headey

Emilia Clarke

Iain Glen

Aidan Gillen

Haryy Lloyd, Kit Harington

Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams

Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Richard Madden, Jack Gleeson

and Peter Dinklage

Interesting. Bean gets lead duties. And then they have 4 of the main adult characters. And then a mixture of the (almost) first timers and bigger names. With Robb, Joffrey and Bran put at the end, to reflect their smaller presence.

While Dinklage gets the prominent last billing.

Credit rules are labyrinthe and difficult to fathom. It has to be said I'm not sure why Dinklage gets the prominent 'and' tag. The possible reasons - he's been a regular in an ongoing TV series (Threshold), he's been the main star in movies etc - all apply to Headey as well. Gillen's multiple major TV roles would also qulify him for a special credit, maybe moreso as he's not in every episode (as Dinklage is, or almost).

Maybe Brude knows more about how US credit rules work?

Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the first two to be cast - usually productions try to cast the biggest stars first to attract additional talent. Being the first ones also probably allowed their agents a better negotiating position to get their stars the two top credit positions. (first & last)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived