[BOOK SPOILERS] The First 15 Minutes

Ran

Well... that was brilliant. Unfortunately my interent is unfathomable slow today for some bizarre reason, so the video had to stop to buffer every thirty seconds or so, but I suffered through most of it until it stopped completely at the 11 minute mark (suffered through the buffering that is, the video itself was amazing). But, from what I've seen so far... Wow.

The opening scene was great, loved the little glimpses we saw of the wall, and the bit where the dead little girl stands up was great.

I love the added introduction to the Starks. Very funny and very sweet, and a great way to introduce the characters to people not familiar with the books (and really quite sad to watch when you consider what's in store for them in the future).

Bran, Arya and Sansa are just perfect, with Arya in particular it seems like they've honestly just plucked the character out of the books and cast her in the series. Jon is rather different visually to how I imagined him, but the actor playing him is very good and I'm sure I'll be sold on him quite quickly.

I'm not so sure about Robb - he's very well acted and very likable, and I'm sure I'll grow to accept him, but the actor playing him just seems way too old. The aging up of all the other characters doesn't really bother me at all, but one of the things I found so interesting about him was that he was a 16 year old kid thrust into being a Lord and and a battle commander, and whilst the aged-up Jon is believable as a teenager in a Dawson's Creek sort of way, I really can't see Robb as anything younger than his early twenties.

The title card identifying Winterfell was a very nice touch, and quite a smart idea

Overall, it looks amazing so far, and April 17th couldn't seem further away.

Also, I noticed Will says "forgive me lord," instead of "forgive me seven" or "forgive me gods" or something like that. Was this intentional or just an oversight? Are the commoners referring to the seven as a single entity? In the books this was presented as high theology that only septons knew but didn't really understand, sort of like the Catholic Trinity.

I'm going to guess he is actually asking for Lord Eddard Stark's forgiveness here.

Or perhaps he's a follower of R'hllor? ;) Nah, probably Abaddon's theory is right. :)

My wife is in South America, so I sent her the link. She's a casual fan of the books (she likes them, but probably would've forgotten about the series if not for me). Here is a portion of her chat while watching (with buffering issues).

Wife: where are they at the beginning? the wall? who were they?

Me: yeah. that's the prologue with the three rangers going north of the wall. They're wearing red shirts beneath their blacks.

Wife: oh come on! stops in the thrilling part. he is looking in the cave/hole

Me: they're walking through the wall

Wife: ewww run boy run :)

ME: lol

Wife: uhh.. didn't like the girl's body. stops again. uhh blue eyes!

Me: :D

Wife: the girl is back!

:)

Amazing. It's still hard to believe that an HBO series based on ASoIaF is a reality. And that it could look as good as it does... simply amazing.

Yeah — I'd imagined the Others as somehow more elegant, even strangely beautiful (albeit terrifying).

I agree, but I also think the end product would be kind of cheesy-looking, unless they spent a ton on CGI.

Also, I noticed Will says "forgive me lord," instead of "forgive me seven" or "forgive me gods" or something like that. Was this intentional or just an oversight? Are the commoners referring to the seven as a single entity? In the books this was presented as high theology that only septons knew but didn't really understand, sort of like the Catholic Trinity.

i think when he said "lord" he meant ned

Amazing. It's still hard to believe that an HBO series based on ASoIaF is a reality. And that it could look as good as it does... simply amazing.

I agree, but I also think the end product would be kind of cheesy-looking, unless they spent a ton on CGI.

I'm thinking that's why the White Walker didn't fight Royce.

Well... that was brilliant. Unfortunately my interent is unfathomable slow today for some bizarre reason, so the video had to stop to buffer every thirty seconds or so, but I suffered through most of it until it stopped completely at the 11 minute mark (suffered through the buffering that is, the video itself was amazing). But, from what I've seen so far... Wow.

The opening scene was great, loved the little glimpses we saw of the wall, and the bit where the dead little girl stands up was great.

I love the added introduction to the Starks. Very funny and very sweet, and a great way to introduce the characters to people not familiar with the books (and really quite sad to watch when you consider what's in store for them in the future).

Bran, Arya and Sansa are just perfect, with Arya in particular it seems like they've honestly just plucked the character out of the books and cast her in the series. Jon is rather different visually to how I imagined him, but the actor playing him is very good and I'm sure I'll be sold on him quite quickly.

I'm not so sure about Robb - he's very well acted and very likable, and I'm sure I'll grow to accept him, but the actor playing him just seems way too old. The aging up of all the other characters doesn't really bother me at all, but one of the things I found so interesting about him was that he was a 16 year old kid thrust into being a Lord and and a battle commander, and whilst the aged-up Jon is believable as a teenager in a Dawson's Creek sort of way, I really can't see Robb as anything younger than his early twenties.

The title card identifying Winterfell was a very nice touch, and quite a smart idea

Overall, it looks amazing so far, and April 17th couldn't seem further away.

Agree about Robb. He definitely does not come off as a 16 year old (and he's supposed to be 14 in the books). Maybe my opinion will change when we see actual scenes with him, but I think at the very least, they should've had Robb and Jon not have so much facial hair already.

But that's pretty much my only nitpick after seeing that amazing preview. I'm stoked. :)

Even my earlier gripes about Catelyn looking too old is gone. She may not be the 30-something, attractive, auburn-haired woman I pictured from the books, but then if she was, then that look she had with Jon in the preview might have been misconstrued by those who haven't read the books.

Agree about Robb. He definitely does not come off as a 16 year old (and he's supposed to be 14 in the books). Maybe my opinion will change when we see actual scenes with him, but I think at the very least, they should've had Robb and Jon not have so much facial hair already.

But that's pretty much my only nitpick after seeing that amazing preview. I'm stoked. :)

Even my earlier gripes about Catelyn looking too old is gone. She may not be the 30-something, attractive, auburn-haired woman I pictured from the books, but then if she was, then that look she had with Jon in the preview might have been misconstrued by those who haven't read the books.

Robb and Jon are 3 years older. So they are 17, about to turn 18.

Agree, Richard looks too old (he is 24) ive not idea about kit's age.

About the beardgate, i think it's okay. They live in the north, after all.

Agree about catelyn - michelle is amazing.

then that look she had with Jon in the preview might have been misconstrued by those who haven't read the books.

LOL so THIS is what Recentiy03 meant! I actually think you re right. People who havent read the books might imagine there is something going on between Ned's wife and his fascinating son. It's so telenovela!! (J/K, of course. Those people will change idea by the half of the episode)

I bet that the Others and the 2 beheadings will be enough to tell people that despite Sean Bean this ain't Lord of the Rings: The Series.

A lot got lost in the way: no freezing air from the Others, no explanation why the youngest Ranger is the leader, no Theon playing headball... We will have to get used to that but I loved every second from the preview.

2 weeks for Winter!!!

A lot got lost in the way: ... no explanation why the youngest Ranger is the leader

I think that Ser Waymar's accent, costume and general bearing give a bit of an indication towards that: all suggest that he's of a higher social rank/class than the other two. I don't think we needed any exposition about how he's the youngest son of a noble house with too many heirs, and so forth. The clues are there, and an observant viewer will pick them up (even if it's subconsciously).

I think that Ser Waymar's accent, costume and general bearing give a bit of an indication towards that: all suggest that he's of a higher social rank/class than the other two. I don't think we needed any exposition about how he's the youngest son of a noble house with too many heirs, and so forth. The clues are there, and an observant viewer will pick them up (even if it's subconsciously).

Agreed.

My girl has never read the books (no way she is going tackle anymore "reading") and watched the first 15 minutes with me and basically said something along the lines of stupid young idiot, just because you are a lord should be listening to that experienced guy with a beard. I think effect was well done and nonreaders will pick up on the subtleties.

Am I the only one who felt the time when they met The Others was wrong? It didn't look dusk and night falling down on them to me. It looks as if in broad day light, at least at much sun as they can get outside The Wall. And I totally agree the looks of them are not what I have expected. The looked like some zombies from horror movies and The Walking Dead (No disrespect to the seires) but totally not what I have expected. I was let down by this since they are gonna play a much more important role later.

Maybe the producers have consulted with GRRM and that was how GRRM wanted, or at least allowed.

Better than I had dared to hope. What an ominous, creepy woods beyond the Wall -- I got scared even knowing what was going to happen. It would have been nice to see the silent wights with shifting green and brown and grey robes, and weapons of icy moonlight. O well, maybe in season four.

Ned and Catelyn are wonderful. So are Jon and Bran, but Arya totally stole her scenes.

I may have posted this elsewhere, but what sold me on Kit as Jon Snow was the scene when he is putting the arrows away in the courtyard and being stared at by Cat. He carries his shame, anger, and pride so well right there - it's absolutely palpable. I saw that bit in the trailers and was so impressed, and watching it again during the 15 minute preview it struck me again. It also caught the attention of my bf, who "got it" with that 10 second scene (and didn't read the books).

I loved it too, such a shame that the actor playing Will won't be required for the rest of the series - he did an excellent job. I loved his reaction to seeing the Wight, it was pretty terrifying!

As for the rest, Sean Bean comes across much warmer than he did in the book - so much so that it seemed that 'Winter is coming' was out of character! I much preferred the subtleties of Richard Madden's Robb. In my mind that is what a north man looks like! Loved Michelle Fairley, she portrays so much emotion with a slight look. She has the nuances of Cat down.

I'm really looking forward to April 17th!

I thought it was generally excellent, though I missed the first line ("We should start back,"). Also, for some reason when Ned answered Catelyn with the rote response, "Winter is Coming," I suddenly thought it would be amusing if Catelyn replied, "Seriously, that isn't a magic line you can use every time you disagree with me. 'Change the nappies, Ned,' 'I can't, winter is coming,' seriously, how does that even make sense?"

That was probably just me though :)

Yeah, he's pretty dead perfect for the role. Apparently after he got the role he tore through the books and became a huge fan. I remember the reports from the big moot held in Belfast he attended that talked a lot about what a big fan of the series he is now.

Yup. He was actually a fan of GRRM already, having read Fevre Dream years earlier. He and GRRM got on famously because they are both American football fans as well :)

I loved it too, such a shame that the actor playing Will won't be required for the rest of the series - he did an excellent job. I loved his reaction to seeing the Wight, it was pretty terrifying!

There are ways around this.

"Hi, Dolorous Edd, shame about what happened to your identical twin brother Will who Lord Stark beheaded ages ago, if you know what I mean?"

Voices like cracking ice. A bit more literal than I took it, but great all the same.

Still a few things sticking in my craw, but it looks like they did some pretty solid overhauling of the original, rather disappointing, pilot script.

Archived