Our Early Impressions

Westeros

hiver,

There's a kind of flashback in the third episode; won't say more about it. We believe there's at least one more as well.

They're playing up the idea that the realm is already fractured and on the verge of collapse. It's a much more conflicted Westeros. "Fear and blood" holds the realm together, according to Robert. Not really how things are in the novel

HA,

Ned and Jaime and Robert all believe that moral clarity was easier in the past than in the present. Again, the point is that the romanticism of the past matters in the way the characters see things now. They may be wrong about this, they may be false, but they actually believe it and it has shaped them. Jaime is disillusioned by what he did and the ideals he failed to achieve; he became the Smiling Knight rather than the Sword of the Morning.

I mean, right now, the way things are, we'll never get that line from Jaime; we haven't heard of any of Barristan's Sworn Brothers being named yet. It's such a beautiful line, but it depends on understanding what Arthur Dayne represented to Jaime, and to Westeros: the most splendid of knights, the deadliest of knights, the epitome of all that knighthood was supposed to be.

But, again, there are 4 episodes left. They may fit more of that into it.

Helicopter shots are expensive. I remember something about how LotR was only able to use so many of them because in some of the more remote parts of New Zealand people actually use them to get around in fairly regularly (something my grandad told me about last time he went over there), lowering the cost to make them usable in a way they wouldn't have been in Europe or even the US on a fairly low budget (for a huge blockbuster). For a TV show? Forget it, unless you've got the budget of something like Band of Brothers (and I don't remember any chopper shots in BoB either).

Ran, how does the backstory come out? It sounds like we don't get anything on Ser Arthur Dayne or the other Kingsguard, but do we get a lot of info on Lyanna and Rhaegar or the reasons Robert, Jon and Ned went to war?

And can you confirm that the term 'White Walkers' is used instead of 'Others' in every instance? Is the term 'Others' apparently gone altogether?

Something that was mentioned over at WiC is that the opening credits change slightly with the map highlighting/raven sweeping over that area of the map where that episodes story takes place. Is that true or just one of the minor clean up fx that needs doing?

Jodan,

Yes, it changes. First episode, after the Seven Kingdoms is covered, it sweeps across the Narrow Sea to Pentos. In following episodes, it sweeps across to the Dothraki Sea and Vaes Dothrak. And in the 5th and 6th episodes, while still in Westeros, it sweeps to the Vale and the Eyrie.

It is a gorgeous, stunning title sequence. You'll have to wait until the 17th to see it, though -- it will not be part of the sneak peek, HBO tells me.

Julandro,

You definitely misunderstood. We loved it. :)

hiver,

We quite liked Gillen. A lot. He is a little different from the books (not just height-wise). He's more of a procurer and blackmailer, he's more obviously untrustworthy I suppose. Perhaps a little smarmy on one or two occasions. Gillen has a terrific, long scene with Varys.

Ran,

Fair enough. Though perhaps the writers thought a large chuck of space being devoted to backstory would be considered too ponderous and slow-moving - academic, if you will - to those not hardcore, while being somewhat redundant?

I mean, there's so much loss and disillusionment in this series, time after time, just in the present. Sansa is an embodiment of this, but all characters experience it to incredible degrees. And perhaps the spirit of that idea could remain.

Just think, if we get to season two the whole Theon/Stark relationship will be all about that disillusionment. Robb has a romantic view of his friendship with Theon and the loyalty of his allies, but he surely finds out otherwise. As does Bran. Arya gets a pretty good idea through her experiences what exactly being a knight means.

I'm really eager to discover how I feel about it, and other fans too. I think one of the very fun (and exhausting) pleasures of this series will be the discussion/arguments of our interpretations and how the television matched them. Not just with costumes and the physical appearance of the cast, but actual story points.

We quite liked Gillen. A lot. He is a little different from the books (not just height-wise). He's more of a procurer and blackmailer, he's more obviously untrustworthy I suppose. Perhaps a little smarmy on one or two occasions.

Just goes to show what different impressions different people can get from a book, because it's really hard for me to imagine Littlefinger being any more obviously untrustworthy and smarmy.

Thanks for the review! You did a very fine job of increasing my interest rather than disappointing me.

OF COURSE, there's going to be changes. Everyone should consider the series as an addition to the story rather than a retelling. If you do that, there's a great chance you'll enjoy it and won't bemoan what isn't the same as the books.

Great review! It basically confirms my expectations of the show, which are frankly quite high and I was concerned that the real thing will not be as good as all the previews we've seen so far made it look. The drawbacks listed are, well, for really hardcore fans to ponder. I myself have seen so many favorite books completely ruined that I no longer know if there is a lower limit for poor adaptation. Here it seems we have something of great quality, and for the fantasy genre such shows are one in about a decade (at best).

After reading several reviews, all of them quite good about GoT, this one is very refreshing. I can see how people might (wrongly) look at it as being negative. Happened to me a lot for shows I liked very much, too. When a movie (or series) is very good it may be hard to point out all the strengths, moreover if many people are already expecting/aware of them it's pointless. It is much easier and useful for readers to focus on what is missing or changed. That is why I sometimes like reading extreme opinions as they show things more balanced ones omit. Not that this review is extreme (not by far) but given the invariably good reviews already out there this one was necessary, especially for book fans.

I get your disappointment regarding the romantic elements, but many readers will not put so much emphasis on them. Also, try and imagine how they would have been included. In an action packed show it may disrupt the tempo and be seen as strange by the majority of viewers, while not conveying this atmoshere it was included to convey. All I'm trying to say is that it's tricky and perhaps a version with those elements would have been worse on average, even if it satisfied some fans. Let's be fair, book fans constitute a very small part of the show's audience and it's for the rest of them out there that many changes are necessary like premature character development.

12 episodes would have been great, but we're lucky to get even 10. Fantasy at this scale hasn't been done before (to my knowledge) and it's basically all in for HBO. If it goes well then future budgets may be less restrictive, but for now whatever we get is more than perhaps anyone ever expected out of ASoIaF. GRRM himself called it unfilmable. The mere fact that we get to see it on the screen as it should be (and not some travesty) is amazing.

The number of characters is always an issue. But I don't think it would be a problem. LotR was for me pretty hard to grasp at first as I hadn't read the books. Didn't stop me from becoming a fan and reading the book afterwards. Also, many HBO shows lately have a great number of characters and sometimes I found it difficult to follow even when I had entire seasons at my disposal, watching several episodes at a time. And, as mentioned, there is already so much out there to help viewers understand who is who. It would only take a couple of catchy scenes to make people want to learn more about the show and get to know the background, characters and geography from the official site and YouTube. House and character features are something we rarely have for other shows. From then on it's easy.

Once again, great review, one definitely worth reading as it gave me the perspective I so far lacked. I am even more excited now because if these are the weaknesses you've managed to discover then we're in for one of the best fantasy series ever. Let's hope it survives for at least several seasons so it can also open the doors to other quality fantasy on TV, something we're missing at the moment.

After reading the review, I am even more hopeful for the series. I can appreciate superfans missing some of the elements of the story, but I also understand how difficult it would be to convey on television and still keep the masses entertained and informed. My expectations have been fairly realistic, and I think HBO has even surpassed them - and I think the vast majority of people, both readers and new viewers, should be pleased with what they see.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to tonight, in about 1 hour and 20 minutes. :smoking:

Re: the disillusionment in the books

I always assumed it was more of an age thing. When were're young, everything is seen through rosey romantic lenses, and when we get older, the rose color flakes off.

In Feast, there are many references to past infractions of the King's Guard, that are the same as the "present" (King slaying excepted). I agree that Jaime tainted the Guard, but Robert/Ned/Jaime are also middle aged men who've seen enough of life to know the truth from story.

So..... any nods/rejections/confirmations/winks about R+L=J? :ninja:

That was a really good write-up. I've always approached this TV project from the perspective of the wider audience. For the TV series to succeed through to multiple seasons (and dare we hope to cover all the books) there must be a broad appeal well beyond the fans of the books. From the write up it seems the technical qualities are there (production values, directing, acting etc), which is absolutely essential. The story is also meaty enough to get people interested who are looking for a bit of sophistication in their TV entertainment.

Like the LOTR movies I give pretty wide latitude to the writers who are adapting the story for screen, because it's a bloody hard job to do with the amount of material the writers are given to work with. As you say, what's important to a successful series is getting the story and events of the present right and coherent and well portrayed, and the motivations of the characters making sense. The historical context of what's happening in the presence needs due attention, but can't occupy the sort of screen time it does in the books.

Overall the write-up instils confidence in the potential of the series to pick up a decent and enduring audience. Let's just hope the TV public reacts as we would hope. It also suggests there is enough fidelity to the books that fans of the books will give it good word of mou7th support, which I think is something on which the series needs to rely in order to maximise audience potential.

I hope it all comes together on the night. I just wish there would be a NZ broadcaster announced for the show already!

So..... any nods/rejections/confirmations/winks about R+L=J? :ninja:

Isn't there that scene which is already out in the wilds of the interwebs where Ned tells Jon they'll talk about his mother when Ned returns to the North at some unspecified future time? Or is there a more explicit nod you might be thinking about?

In the midst of all this adult, educated, mature discussion of the show and its differences to the novels, I'd just like to come in and do what I do best:

I popped a boner while watching those fifteen minutes. ~_^

*runs*

Archived