The Dagger and the Coin - SPOILER THREAD

RedEyedGhost

Here is the first short plot synopsis for book two, The King's Blood:

War casts its shadow over the lands that the dragons once ruled. Only the courage of a young woman with the mind of a gambler and loyalty to no one stands between hope and universal darkness.

The high and powerful will fall, the despised and broken shall rise up, and everything will be remade. And quietly, almost beneath the notice of anyone, an old, broken-hearted warrior and an apostate priest will begin a terrible journey with an impossible goal: destroy a Goddess before she eats the world.

Source.

• 6 months later...

Definitely an auto-buy for me - Abraham has yet to disappoint me.

Can't disagree. I think this is going to be preeminent series once WOT/ASoIF are done, along with the Stormlight Archive. I'll be reading King's Blood the second I get it (and Caliban's War, for that matter).

Wow. I completely forgot this series even existed and now i find out that the second book is incoming O_o

I look forward to it! The first book was pretty good, but i liked his Long Price quartet much more. The Dragons Path was certainly interesting however and i'l be going to pick up the second one as soon as it comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

New synopsis for The King's Blood:

Geder Palliako’s star is rising. He is a hero of Antea, protector to the crown prince, and darling of the court. But storms from his past are gathering, and with them, a war that will change everything.

Cithrin bel Sarcour founded a powerful bank on stolen wealth, forged papers, and ready blades. Now every move she makes is observed, recorded, and controlled. Unless Cithrin can free herself from her gilded cage, the life she made will be for naught; war may provide just the opportunity she needs.

An apostate priest sees the hidden hand behind all: a long-buried secret of the dragon empire threatens everything humanity has built. An age of madness and death is on the way, with only a few doomed heroes to stand in its way.

http://www.orbitbooks.net/2012/05/02/cover-launch-the-kings-blood-by-daniel-abraham/

Skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers. I suppose I'm also in the minority. I'm really struggling for interest after several hundred pages. Perhaps it's the inevitable malaise that comes after flying through a re-read of Joe Abercrombie's rock'em-sock'em five books. I rarely start reading a well-recommended fantasy novel and just get bored halfway through a chapter, as has happened more than a few times so far in this one.

I believe I'll let this one sit until perhaps the third book or so has been published, and see if it gains traction for me then. Now, to go put a library request on the Long Price Quartet, which I've been putting off far too long.

after several hundred pages.

If you are bored after a few hundred pages then this book is not for you, or not for you right now. Go read something else and maybe come back to it later, but definitely read something you enjoy instead of slogging through what bores you.

I have book two on the kindle now. Just need to finish off Wise Man's fear. The fact i kindled it usually means i don't have high hopes. In this case it's more that unless there's a chance of getting the books signed I don't see a great need to have physical copies and unfortunately Daniel doesn't seem to make his way across the pond that often. If he does I have a stack waiting for him.

Should we change the title of the thread so that spoilers are included for King's blood or start a new one?

I'd be interested on hearing people's thoughts on book 2 - spoiler free for now.

Several chapters in to A Shadow In Summer, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm surprised at how different it feels, after just a few chapters anyway, than The Dragon's Path. Would never have guessed it was the same author. The prose and character conversations are pretty dissimilar, yes? Anyway, assuming I tear through the Quartet as I expect to, I'll give this one another go sometime in summer or fall.

I think my personal flaw as a reader is that I am too character-focused. If the POV characters don't resonate with me right away, I have a hard time keeping with them. So, none of the four that he developed clicked with me, as they did with almost all of you folks. Abraham is too well-respected here for me to not warrant a 2nd try later.

Should we change the title of the thread so that spoilers are included for King's blood or start a new one?

I'd be interested on hearing people's thoughts on book 2 - spoiler free for now.

I really wish I could get it for Kindle here and now... but I have to wait until the 22nd :tantrum:

There was a The King's Blood specific thread a few days back, but it wasn't flagged as spoilers. Should I just change the title of this thread to "The Dagger and the Coin - SPOILER THREAD" ?

Several chapters in to A Shadow In Summer, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm surprised at how different it feels, after just a few chapters anyway, than The Dragon's Path. Would never have guessed it was the same author. The prose and character conversations are pretty dissimilar, yes? Anyway, assuming I tear through the Quartet as I expect to, I'll give this one another go sometime in summer or fall.

I think my personal flaw as a reader is that I am too character-focused. If the POV characters don't resonate with me right away, I have a hard time keeping with them. So, none of the four that he developed clicked with me, as they did with almost all of you folks. Abraham is too well-respected here for me to not warrant a 2nd try later.

I'm glad you're enjoying it; it's my favorite series ever and I was a little worried when you said you were switching to it because it's not action packed like Abercrombie's books. Enjoy it, it's a hell of a ride :thumbsup:

Dagger and coin - spoilers would be a catch all and possibly safest way of doing things. There maybe isn't a huge rush if there's only UK people with copies and strsange people like myself who fails at multi task reading (Weavers of Saramyr, No country for old men and Wise man's fear are currently on the go). Once I've finished WMF I'm straight onto this though.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite treading into some predictable fantasy tropes, this book is so well written I can pretty much forgive Abraham on what little did bother me in the book.

I can't get over how good the prose is. I can sit up all night reading his stories.

Kit and Marcus in book 3 is going to be nuts.

Despite treading into some predictable fantasy tropes, this book is so well written I can pretty much forgive Abraham on what little did bother me in the book. I can't get over how good the prose is. I can sit up all night reading his stories. Kit and Marcus in book 3 is going to be nuts.

Said it a couple times, but I'll repeat here again. Where the current trend is to take tropes and subvert them, Abraham seems to take old tropes, and keep true to them as much as he can, while trying to show what made them fresh in the first place.

Take Geder.

While most fantasy tyrants are either all Evil(per the trope), or subverted into a guy with good intent who keeps doing evil things for the "right" reasons. Geder is a guy who wants to do good, but really is a shithead with a temper.

That's my take anyway.

Can't disagree. I think this is going to be preeminent series once WOT/ASoIF are done, along with the Stormlight Archive. I'll be reading King's Blood the second I get it (and Caliban's War, for that matter).

That's a bold fucking statement, and one i don't think will pan out. Maybe the Coin and Dagger, but i think SA will go down as middling fantasy at best.

It's hard to say. How popular was the Wheel of Time series when Eye of the World came out? Or A Song of Ice and Fire when A Game of Thrones came out? The latter didn't have a book that hit the NYT bestseller list until A Feast for Crows.

Archived