Media Coverage Continues

Westeros

Here's an article about female viewers and their support for fantasy TV, specifically GoT:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42560281/ns/today-entertainment/

Interesting observation at the end about how HBO still doesn't fully believe in female fantasy fans, since they didn't have any promotional T-shirts in women's sizes.

Also, an awesome interview with Jason Momoa (Drogo):

http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/s151/game-of-thrones/tubetalk/a314388/jason-momoa-chats-game-of-thrones.html

I particularly like that he insisted on keeping his character's pants.

Incidentally, Andrew Sullivan is making fun of Troy Patterson's overwrought prose in the review I linked to this morning.

I don't know whether that's good publicity for the show (since Sullivan has a ton of readers and he clearly thinks Patterson is a pompous fool), or bad (since a ton of people are now going to read Patterson's mixed, but largely negative review). In any event, Game of Thrones is certainly doing the rounds when it shows up on political blogs.

Here's an article about female viewers and their support for fantasy TV, specifically GoT:

http://today.msnbc.m...-entertainment/

Interesting observation at the end about how HBO still doesn't fully believe in female fantasy fans, since they didn't have any promotional T-shirts in women's sizes.

??

I bought two Game of Thones t-shirts in women's cut and size. Is this an old article? Or just lazy-ass reporting?

nm, just read it -- she's complaining because they didn't have womens' t-shirts at a con. That is very very low on my priority list of Things To Care About.

I believe this is a new review from LA Times' Mary McNamarra. She likes it and she seems to think it has strong female characters.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-game-of-thrones-review-20110415,0,5959180.story#tugs_story_display

The forces of war assemble, as forces of war inevitably do, but it is revelation of character rather than the clank of broadsword or the tumult of hooves that makes "Game of Thrones" epic television. Though Bean's Ned is the strong and brooding headliner of the series, he is quickly surrounded by a wild and bewitching garden of characters and performances. The women are particularly good — Queen Cersei is both evil and sympathetic, Lady Stark is a formidable foe, Arya becomes the heart of the story while the terrified and enslaved Daenerys finds her inner strength.

I LOVED her answer to this question:

Griff: I'm disappointed in how Catelyn Stark looks (not sure if they make her look that way or the actress just looks that way). I mean she isn't supposed to look late 40s. Ned is only 35 in the book, and she is younger than him.

Without knowing the books, IMHO aging up Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley) is a good choice. She has to be older than her many teen/young adult kiddos, and the actress just has tremendous gravitas. She's got a genuine rustic beauty, and she seems to represent everything that Ned gives up to serve his numbnuts king loyally and well. Especially in the first three or four episodes, Catelyn represents the human cost of the "game of thrones," and she does it well.

Here's a lengthy podcast (you can skip the first hour, the final thirty minutes of the show are all Game of Thrones) where a husband and wife review the first six episodes.

http://tvontheinternet.libsyn.com/tv-on-the-internet-episode-59-presenting-the-year-s-most-hotly-anticipated-debut-the-paul-reiser-show-

they've both read the books, he a long time ago and may not have read the sequels, she's read all the books.

They both really rave Dany, and seem to think she's the best part of the series. she was shocked by this because she's doesn't really like Dany in the books.

The husband refuses to give a grade until the season is over, she gives it a B+

They both agree it is better than Boardwalk Empire

Their biggest criticisms are:

1. It seems to be made primarily for the fans, can people who've read the books really follow this? He also points out that with the book limited to 8 POVs 40 major characters is not that overwhelming, but that when it's onscreen, 40 major characters are 40 major characters and it is a little overwhelming.

2. It does not feel like TV episodes rather that HBO is making shows for DVD, basically long films and cutting them up. The show runs better watching two or three episodes in a rush. They like the show less when they watch one episode at a time.

She is irritated because it's going to take forever to get the show to catch up to how far she's read.

their biggest praise is it's the best looking show either of them has ever seen made for television. You could mute it and watch the show and be happy with the experience.

His favorite parts are the parts completely new to the series. He mentions Robert has a "war stories" scene and that a couple non POV characters meet in a scene that he'd always wanted to see but couldn't happen in the book due to the POV limitation.

Also, she's a bit uncomfortable with the extremely copious boobies and is irritated she missed the brief appearance of Theon's penis.

The final Atlantic review is up. This is an odd one. She'd never read the books, and was unfamiliar with both fantasy or gritty TV, but it's not the normal "I don't like fantasy" shtick. In fact, she makes the point that it feels very much a part of the real world. She ends up recommending the series and compares it to the Bible, but without a promise of redemption.

Archived