Media Coverage Continues

Westeros

Sorry, but expecting 5 million viewers was not very realistic. And these aren't even viewership numbers yet, I'd hold off before getting too concerned. But yah, don't expect 5 million.

I don't know how ratings translates to viewers, but if it's linear and BE had 2.8/5 mil, then GoT would come out to ~2.8 million which is not shabby (I was hoping for 3). But, we should wait for the official numbers anyway.

[EDIT] FWIW, Wikipedia says that BE got 4.8 million viewers for it's premiere, but that including the two additional showings the same night, HBO calculated 7.1 million viewers.

I just got my Time magazine. Three pages. "Epic Win."

The online version of the article amuses as such things always do by the inclusion of 'appropriate' links at intervals within it.

For instance, after the article talks about the wedding of Drogo and Daenerys, there is a link to "see all stories about the royal wedding" - presumably William and Kate. Hopefully the Windsor nuptials will not end as the Dothraki ones did.....

Sorry, but expecting 5 million viewers was not very realistic. And these aren't even viewership numbers yet, I'd hold off before getting too concerned. But yah, don't expect 5 million.

I don't know how ratings translates to viewers, but if it's linear and BE had 2.8/5 mil, then GoT would come out to ~2.8 million which is not shabby (I was hoping for 3). But, we should wait for the official numbers anyway.

[EDIT] FWIW, Wikipedia says that BE got 4.8 million viewers for it's premiere, but that including the two additional showings the same night, HBO calculated 7.1 million viewers.

If it comes out to 2.8 million, that'd be about a million more than True Blood's premiere. I think that'd be acceptable.

I think this goes here.

From today's B&N e-mail advert:

A Game of Thrones

(A Song of Ice and Fire #1)

by George R. R. Martin

Read George R.R. Martin's classic masterpiece, the inpsiration for the hottest new original series on television – HBO's Game of Thrones.

This greatly amused me. Selling the books based on the tv series instead of the other way around.

Saw this linked at WiC. I love this guy's

. Give it a few minutes and it gets great. It's also hilarious hearing some mistaken impressions from a cold first viewing, but that's to be expected, and I think he gets most of the salient points. NSFW (language).

Here's an interview with David Benioff that must be very recent, as they mention the season 2 pickup (actually, I guess it might not be clear whether or not the interview was done after the greenlight, though the interviewer implies in one of the questions that it is). Also mentions that the character

Ros is brought back after the pilot,

though I think that might've been mentioned somewhere already.

The way I'm reading that article is that it is U.S. ratings alone. I suspect HBO is counting on overseas numbers more than they did with Boardwalk. Hopefully.

The gross audience for the premiere night of GAME OF THRONES on the main HBO channel was 4.2 million viewers.

That's from GRRM's post where he talks about GoT being renewed, and it's according to an HBO release. I think you have to read between the lines a bit for these releases, since they talk about premiere nights and I recall at least three showings on my lineup. Still, those arent bad numbers at all.

The gross audience for the premiere night of GAME OF THRONES on the main HBO channel was 4.2 million viewers.

That's from GRRM's post where he talks about GoT being renewed, and it's according to an HBO release. I think you have to read between the lines a bit for these releases, since they talk about premiere nights and I recall at least three showings on my lineup. Still, those arent bad numbers at all.

That is indeed the total of 3 showings (2.2M + 1.2M + 0.8M). Monday added another 1.2M and then HBOGo/On-demand/DVR will increase the numbers further.

I´d love to see the numbers for HBO Central Europe.

Moreover, HBO will take into account the other diffusion numbers (HBO Go, reruns, DVD/Bluray,...). It's not the time to stress or panic, we will see how it goes for the next 2-3 episodes :)

I think they can reasonably anticipate high DVD sales.

sPh

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I couldn't find one of pop culture references to GoT, so this is close enough.

I read a lot of paranormal mystery and Heather Graham is one one of my favorites. Read her latest book "Unholy" today was was really surprised to find a reference to the show Game of Thrones. (referenced to making a movie of Hamlet that would be "more like 'Game of Thrones' "). Can't say how much I loved that.

Archived