Comic-con 2011

George told me yesterday he will be attending Comic-con this year. His exact words, "Bantam is making me"...

Although George doesn't know his itinerary, he did say he should have time for a breakfast like we did a few years back. So, we are attempting to put together a small mini-breakfast-moot for one of the days. Just wanted to start this thread to see who will be attending Comic-con this year and/or if anyone wants to make the trip and meet George for breakfast.

• 2 months later...

Would love to join you folks for breakfast. Me, plus my 15-year-old nephew.

The only catch for me is I've got be back at my booth in the con by 9am. So if it's a late breakfast, then I'll unfortunately have to pass.

And yes, I will have the 2012 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar available for sale at my booth (#4600), and yup, I'l be happy to sign 'em. I believe Bantam will be selling copies at their booth as well.

I'll be there Thursday but I'm only able to make it thanks to who I'm working for with him. Definitely going to try and sneak out to the panel and if I magically get a weekend pass instead of one day (fat chance!) will hopefully be in the area. :) If not maybe I'll come down anyway since I have family in San Diego to visit.

Heard from Bantam yesterday. Sounds like they've ironed out autographing details for George and me. I gave it a thumbs-up. I think they need to run it by George for his approval, and then it'll be official. There will be at least one session where we'll be together for folks who want us to sign their 2012 ASoIaF Calendars, which will be debuting at SDCC.

And of course, you'll also be able to find me at my own booth (#4600), most of the weekend.

Besides the breakfast folks, who else is attending SDCC? Sound off. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I'll be at Comic-Con again this year and coming down from LA. Had a blast at the meet up for George's last signing in LA and would love to attend a breakfast. Any more plans/details for this?

Thanks!!!

Just received an email from George. He writes:

"I'd love to get together with the BWB for a meal at San Diego, but my comicon schedule is pretty insane. I have signings for HBO, Bantam, IDW, Avatar, and Tor... plus a bunch of panels and a bunch of meetings..."

This time around, George is just too busy. Perhaps next time.

Comic-Con is just too insane, I'm not very surprised.

I'll be there! Definitely on Thursday and hopefully I'll be there for the weekend. Anyway, I'd love to meet up with fellow asoiaf fans while there regardless.

Awww, I am so happy that George is getting the recognition that he deserves but dang it I was so excited that there would finally be a BwB event that I could attend! I'll be at Comic-Con - arrive Tuesday and leave early Sunday ('tis a long flight across country to get home I'm afraid.)

Looking forward to meeting in person all BWB folks attending SDCC next week. See you at booth #4600, when you're in the neighborhood. I'll have 2012 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendars available for sale beginning at 7pm on Preview Night. Limited supply, so I'd suggest swinging by sooner rather than later!

Also -- I'll be signing with GRRM Friday, July 22 from 3pm to 5pm at AA21 up in the Sails Pavilion. Presumably they'll have me signing calendars up there, but if the lines are manageable, I'll be happy to sign other art items of mine, as appropriate. We'll see how it goes!

Should be good times. :)

Here's more info:

http://picacio.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-comic-con-2011-schedule.html

Arrived last night and had drinks with the guys and gals from Thinkhero.com and FB from WiC.net.

Saw Ty last night, but no George.

If anyone is here and wants to meet up before the panel post here. I will check it often.

Below are the notes I took from the panel:

GRRM walks out to the podium to a huge ovation.

He thanks everyone and then they play footage of the entire season. Afterwards he says, "They covered in 10 minutes what it took me to write 1200 pages".

GRRM announces actors. Although the audience cheers for each and every one of them, the crowds go crazy when Peter and Jason are announced.

GRRM asks the panel, "How did this all start? David and Dan?"

David talks about Dan introducing him to the book him reading it in 2005. He says the book was "crack on paper" and couldn't stop reading. Then he talked with Dan about getting GRRM to make a HBO series.

GRRM talks about Emilia and how she is new to everything. Mentions how she came out of drama school and got the job right away as Dany. asks Emilia, what advice she has for others who want to get into acting and knowing what she knows now, would she do anything different.

Emilia jokes saying the only thing she would do different was to read the books sooner. Then says she would do the exact same thing she did because it got her the job.

GRRM opens up the questions to the audience.

Question 1 directed to Lena:

Was it difficult to make the switch from playing a hero in Sara Connor Chronicles to someone people hate in GoT?

Lena says no and says its actually kinda fun playing someone people do not like. "Cersei is misunderstood".

GRRM asks Nicolai - This is your 1st Comicon, are you a closet geek?

Nicolai laughs and says he can't feel his legs then says he has always been a geek.

Back to audience questions.

Who would in in a fight, Conan or Khal Drogo?

Jason says "Drogo would kick Conans ass!" Goes on to talk about how "badass" Drogo is and begins to explain how the epic fight scene came about. He had just finished filming Conan and was chopping off heads of hundreds of people. Had a dream one night about ripping someones throat out. Went to Dan and David and told them about it and they agreed to film it. He then apologizes to George because it was not in the books.

GRRM responds that he loved the scene.

Question 3 directed to Peter(cant remember if this was GRRM asking or a fan):

Tyrion is GRRM's favorite character as well as many many others who have read the series. Whats it like to step into a character that most people love?

Peter says "Tyrion is terrifying." The crowd laughs and then he talks about how he doesn't step into character really.

GRRM makes a comment about Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) and Richard Madden (Robb Stark) posters being all over young girls walls.

Kit replies, "That scares me."

Question 4 directed at Dave and Dan:

Any idea on the release of the DvDs and Blue Rays? Will there be any cut clips or extended footage?

DB says no to the release date. Then says they really didn't have any deleted scenes. Says they will be putting in the interviews of the actors and then makes a comment about Jason's interview and how he tore his shirt off and started doing the haka dance. Thats what won him the role. Crowd starts chanting for Jason to do the haka dance that won him the role. Sadly, he didn't do it...

David starts explaining how they picked Jason to play the part. Neither Dave or Dan had heard of Jason before. David says he isn't up on his Baywatch. Crowd laughs and Jason flips off David. Then he continued and said they learned of him through an online message board. I took the opportunity to yell out "WESTEROS.ORG!". David looked at me (I was in the front row thanks to my connections at Comicon), smiled, nodded and said "Yes, Westeros.org".

GRRM asks each actor what their favorite scene was:

Jason - Khals speech, love scenes.

Nik - jokes and says pushing Bran. Then says Catelyn scene when he is in chains.

Kit - Giving Arya needle, the fight scenes.

Lena - Robert Baratheon

Peter - On trial at the Eyrie

Emilia - Final scene with dragons

GRRM makes mention of Peter's emmy nomination, says Sean Bean was "robbed" and should of been up for best actor.

Question 5 directed at panel:

Were any of you familiar with the source material? Have you read the books?

Emilia - Read book 1 after interview. It became her bible. Has notes and bookmarks all throughout the book. Reading book 2 as they film.

Jason - Locked himself up and read the first book in 4 days. Was so excited initially because he loved Drogo. Finished the book and was pissed off because Drogo dies.

Lena - Does not want to read the books. Does not want to know the source material. Helps her to only read the script.

Question 6 directed at GRRM:

Why does GRRM kill off favorite characters?

GRRM says he wants people to be emotional when they are reading his books. To be afraid to turn the page.

Question 7 directed at Lena:

How do you play the different sides of Cersei?

Lena says Cersei is confused and tries to cope during the hard times.

Question 8 directed at the panel:

How would each of you end the series if you could write the ending of the books?

Kit - Jon Snow sits on the Iron Throne

Nik - Fade to black, Jamie and Cersei holding hands sitting at a cottage living together...

Lena - Tyrion and Drogo assume power and rule together.

Question 9 directed at Jason:

How hard is it to do fight scenes with long hair?

Jason says he is used to it because he has long hair. Although the weight takes some getting used to, it was better than the 6lb wig he wore for Stargate Atlantis.

Question 10 directed at panel:

What moment in hooked you?

Nik - Bran's fall. Then says, "What the hell is going on?!"

Kit - The discovery of the dire wolf pups.

Peter - The beginning and the "Whitewalkers". Then goes on to say he lost all interest on all his parts.

GRRM asks Dave and Dan What can we expect next season?

Dave says most know what to expect already. Meet Stannis and Melisandre. Wolf pups and dragons grow. Then started talking about season 3 and how they are not sure what they are going to do because its such a big book. Maybe make it 2 seasons, maybe a season and a half. Says as long as they get to the "RW" in season 3 then they will be happy.

Question 11 directed at panel:

Asked about the Battle of the Blackwater and if there will actually be a battle scene.

Dan says to talk to GRRM since he is writing it.

GRRM takes off his hat and asks for donations.

Dave says, "There will be a battle."

Question 12 directed at GRRM:

"Are you concerned with pulling a Lost with the books?"

GRRM smiles and says he better be careful because Damon Lindelof is probably sitting in the audience. Talks about how its easier to dream and do and that he is juggling a lot of balls. He will do his best to tie everything together and wrap it up but cautions everyone that he is a fan of bitter sweet endings. Makes reference to LoTR and the Shire scene at the end.

Question 13 directed at Jason:

Was it hard to transition from Sci-fi to Fantasy?

Jason says it was a big difference. Usually doesn't like his fellow actors, the producers, or the directors. Loves all the actors and producers of GoT, even though he was only 1 of 2 Americans on the show. Looks at Peter and they both smile and throw their hands up.

Question 14 directed to Kit:

What drew you to the Jon Snow character?

Kit says he liked the big journey ahead of him. Jon was so concerned with family in season 1. Now he can get on with his own life at the wall and beyond the wall.

Question 15 directed to Kit:

Has GRRM revealed Jon Snows mother?

Kit says no.

GRRM says he would kill him if knew and told.

Question 16 directed at GRRM:

Do you mourn the characters as you kill them?

GRRM says he mourns all the characters. "I tell myself that its the characters that are killing them, not me." Goes on to talk about how RW was "emotionally wrenching" when he was writing it. He actually finished the book and went back to write that part because it was so hard on him.

Panel ends to a standing ovation.

I went to John Picacio's booth after the panel. After introducing myself he was kind enough to grant me a mini interview.

Favorite picture he drew?

Ned Stark. He felt he was learning while drawing Ned. Felt as though he hit another level. Was very proud of the piece when he was finished and still proud of it today, several months after. Went on to explain that after a few months some artists tend to not be as happy with a piece they thought was great initially.

Favorite character(s)?

Jon, Tyrion, and Ghost. He really loves Ghost.

Asked him about how he starts off on a drawing.

He went into a detailed explanation of what he does. Starts off with full value pencil under drawings. Then abstract acrylic paintings. Finishing by overlaying them in photo shop to create a "digital hybrid".

We talked about his version of the Whitewalkers and how most people to date have done variations of Wringwraiths. he went on to tell me that GRRM told someone (another artist I believe) to contact John because he really liked the way he had portrayed them.

John will be at Worlcon in Reno. He is excited to meet more BwB members and attend our party. He is also up for a Hugo. This will be his 7th time nominated.

This guy is really cool. Was great to meet him and I since I know he checks the boards and posts from time to time, I want to say THANK YOU for the autograph and taking the time to talk to me when you had potential customers around.

Thank you for those incredibly detailed notes, Blackfyre. I felt like I was there :thumbsup:

And nice interview with JP. JP, if you have read the fifth book, I'm really looking forward to your depiction of Bran's new friend...

snowleo

Archived