[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

Just finished a great conference call with George R.R. Martin regarding HBO’s Game of Thrones, with a full write up later in the week. But there was one very interesting piece of information that we thought fans would want to know now, rather than later:

According to GRRM, a character is killed in this 1st season of the series who does not die until the 3rd novel. Because of spoilers, he chose not to discuss it further (I tried!), but he did indicate it was a male character.

Benioff and Weiss deliberately made the change, which has interesting implications all of its own… such as already looking to find ways to trim down a potential third season by closing out or greatly compressing elements of A Storm of Swords.

And now, let the speculation begin! For our part, we’ll note that we’re quite certain it’s not a “POV” or “major” character, but someone who might be considered on the second or even third tier.

Visit the Site!

My money is on Beric Dondarrion because it would trim down the BwB storyline in ASOS a bit and they could just make Thoros the leader and then does helps a certain character take her revenge.

My thoughts exactly. I'd stake my claim on it being Beric.

Could it be Lysa??? now that would piss me off and it would be a big waste to the beautiful Ayrie set that they built.

I hope not, and I think Ran said George implied it was a "he."

That would just kill an entire huge storyline from Seasons 2 and 3.

Beric isn't really on the second or even third tier of characters though. He's briefly mentioned a few times and his importance doesn't come along until ASoS.

I'd put money on Tywin.

No way...Beric is a tertiary character who's death being bumped up doesn't impact storylines down the road.

The entirety of Westeros is terrified of Tywin. To have him die so soon would kill off a lot of the tension, and Tyrion's (eh, any of the Lannister kids') arc(s) in general.

Beric isn't really on the second or even third tier of characters though. He's briefly mentioned a few times and his importance doesn't come along until ASoS.

I'd put money on Tywin.

i don't see how killing Tywin would help them shorten ASOS and they will lose one of Tyrion's most important scenes. Maybe Shae? but that will not cut much.

I am leaning towards Beric myself, or possibly Lord Hoster. Hoster seems like a smallish cut to be doing now, though, but I guess if they were just thinking of simplifying things by making Edmure the unambiguous lord...

If Beric dies in season 1, why even introduce him? Seems pointless. I was going to say Marillion, but he dies in AFFC, right? I'm going with Ran and saying Hoster. That would trim him out of season three and save some space.

I'd go for either the Greatjon or Rickard Karstark. Probably the Greatjon, because Karstark's death in SoS is a character-building moment for Robb, whereas Umber is just one of the many Red Wedding fatalities.

Yeah, it's not Tywin. Lets say it's a tertiary or ... whatever 4th tier would be. Me, I'd call Hoster and Beric both 3rd/4th tier characters, within the scope of the whole series.

Spoiler from the TV show screeners. DO NOT READ if you don't want them:

We've previously reported that Beric Dondarrion was actually cast, along the lines of various minor characters who basically get one or two lines and then are done. They show this actor's face very clearly in the scene at the Hand's audience, lingering on him and all. It seems to me that they're setting him up to be cut down by Gregor, maybe in a gruesome way that precludes being resurrected.

That same scenes does not mention Thoros joining him, BTW, so they could leave him out if they'd like. But, never fear, Thoros is mentioned on the show.

It can't be Tywin, who's goig plot the Red Wedding without Tywin?

I put my money on Hoster Tully.

He really does nothing in the book from 1 to 3 other than wasting away til he finally dies. Having him die in the first book and transferring his funeral scene to the 1st season does nothing to change the overall plot.

It just seems to me like Lena Headey has interpreted Cersei's character wrong. Instead of an someone who is an incredibly lucky schemer even though she's paranoid to the point of stupidity, from all previews and interviews this version of Cersei comes across as an intelligent, deviously cunning player of the game. If that's so, she can easily take Tywin's place in the plots he runs and most of his storylines with Tyrion.

I hope it's not so, but if they're really trying to cut space that's the way to go.

Well, I'd be a little sad if it's Beric, just because I really loved the reference to Beric giving the kiss of life to Catelyn after Thoros refuses, and his life flows into hers. With Beric hypothetically removed from the picture, I guess you just have Thoros breath life into Catelyn to make UnCat, which is fine, but a bit lacking. It makes Thoros directly responsible for UnCat, where he's not in the book.

Then again, after writing that down, it seems pretty minor. But how much are they really going to save by offing Beric early? Doesn't seem like it actually compresses the story much at all to me, unless they just remove the BwB completely (which I can't see happening).

Anyway, interesting info, and it will keep the fans who know the books on their toes to be sure...

Archived