[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

Does anyone else appreciate the irony? Even after we've read the books and gone the whole nine yards in terms of nasty surprise deaths, the goddamn TV adaptation of ASOIAF is going to fuck us over in terms of killing off our favorite characters unexpectedly.

A bit off topic but i wouldn't be surprised if Edmure and The Blackfish are made into one character in the second season, none of them on his own does something the other can't. They might keep Hoster as an extra, get an old man to stay in bed for two seasons.

Without Beric, you can pretty much cut out the BwB entirely (assuming the BwB doesn't play some massive role as an institution). Maybe rewrite the story to have Arya and Gendry run into just Thoros and maybe Tom o' Sevens and Lem Lemoncloak wandering around out in the riverlands or something, then have the Hound snatch her, what have you, Thoros goes after her, gets to the Twins, finds a certain body, and the rest writes itself. You lose some of the pathos and the gracenotes of it all, but now Arya's story cuts out two or three chapters.

But, anyway, it's a guess.

Possum,

I think the writers have more to do with interpreting Cersei than Headey does.

Here's a short list of deaths from the book, which I compiled through a wikipedia summary. ;)

The Red Wedding guests, including Robb and Catelyn

Lysa

Tywin

Oberyn

Gregor.... ;)

The Hound

Joffery

Hoster Tully

Beric

Balon Greyjoy

Jeor Mormont

Now I might be wrong on a few of those, or I'm forgetting some major ones. But based on that list, I see a lot of people who are wicked important in the 2nd and/or 3rd books.

Beric and Hoster are the most likely candidates. It seemed in the book like Beric was underdeveloped. In a series with so many important characters, maybe they want the viewers to really remember him. So when he's there later you go, holy shit didn't he die in s1??

With all these guesses, Im left wondering how Beric would be brought into the storyline of season 1. IIRC, he doesnt really play a part in the first book.

So I guess what Im asking is, if it is Beric, how do you think they will finagle him into the storyline of season 1.

With all these guesses, Im left wondering how Beric would be brought into the storyline of season 1. IIRC, he doesnt really play a part in the first book.

So I guess what Im asking is, if it is Beric, how do you think they will finagle him into the storyline of season 1.

Doesn't he get sent off to arrest Gregor? I'm probably remembering very wrong, or the wrong people... but he and his men are supposed to stop the raping and pillaging right?

Well, he does play a part, albeit a smaller one, in AGOT. He comes to Kings Landing for the tourney. Then Ned sends him after Gregor, after receiving reports of Gregor and Co. pillaging the Riverlands, when he is sitting the Iron Throne in place of Robert.

The way I see it, they'll still send him out after Gregor, and then it will either be shown that Gregor kills him, or be told that he does.

I think they may show it, as it would reinforce what a bad-ass Gregor is, myself, not to mention kill all hope that Gregor will stop pillaging.

Easy way to get in another action scene. We see Ned tell him to go get Gregor, then later we have the scene where he confronts him and gets his ass kicked. It really shows how brutal they are, maybe see some raping/pillaging too. It'll drive home how EVIL the bad guys are.

And if they do choose to have him around later people might remember him.

Ahh I forgot about the tourney (been a year or so since my last read), but if that's the case, then why. There has to be some reason the producers decide to axe him early like that.

I'll let Ran re-explain this:

Without Beric, you can pretty much cut out the BwB entirely (assuming the BwB doesn't play some massive role as an institution). Maybe rewrite the story to have Arya and Gendry run into just Thoros and maybe Tom o' Sevens and Lem Lemoncloak wandering around out in the riverlands or something, then have the Hound snatch her, what have you, Thoros goes after her, gets to the Twins, finds a certain body, and the rest writes itself. You lose some of the pathos and the gracenotes of it all, but now Arya's story cuts out two or three chapters.

And yes, to further prove that the good guys don't always win. After (book spoiler ahead)

Ned dies

you still want to believe that his orders and plans will come to fruition in regards to Gregor. If you kill off Beric, you further illustrate that bad things can and do happen.

My speculation would be Renly.

Yes, it eliminates that hair-raising shadow death, but it also removes one entire army. This makes the military strategy easier for the casual viewer to understand.

My speculation would be Renly.

Yes, it eliminates that hair-raising shadow death, but it also removes one entire army. This makes the military strategy easier for the casual viewer to understand.

He bites it in ACOK, not ASOS.

By bites it, I mean the peach, of course.

Stoneheart can gather a group of nameless nobodies, + Thoros (and maybe Tom and Lem), quite readily. You don't need the BwB to exist, just establish that there are "broken men" out there or what have you.

But, anyway, it's a guess.

Possum,

I think the writers have more to do with interpreting Cersei than Headey does.

Without Beric, perhaps Thoros will lead the BwB, and will be the one to fight the Hound... would be a pity though because I think Beric is one character that gets what Sandor Clegane is all about and that scene is one of my favorites.

Hmm. Beric dies offscreen and in terms of time period, right at the very end of ASoS. I suppose that still counts but it's not ambiguous.

Harwin survives ASoS, doesn't he? Of course, he's fairly obscure and I'd be surprised if he'd even mentioned in the HBO series, let alone cast.

Another possibility is the Hound (though of course he's probably in AFFC so doesn't die in ASoS etc), though given the meat of his story is in Books 2 and 3 that would be totally pointless.

The only other person who comes to mind is Chett. He does have a minor role to play in Book 1, being replaced by Sam as Aemon's right-hand to man, which expands in Book 3 when he starts planning the insurrection against Mormont, only to get killed.

Rickard Karstark may be another possibility, since we know he's been cast for Season 1. There's the Smalljon as well, I believe.

Archived