[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

I think I can say this: it's a VERY minor character. Karstark, Dondarrion, Lancel, etc. can be ruled out.

Well, as others have guessed already: It's Rast who probably gets killed by one of the Wights at Castle Black. Nothing to worry about then. :)

I'm thinking that if Hoster dies in S1, viewers could get the info about why Lysa was married to Jon some other way and much earlier, which could potentially allow the writers to basically resolve the mystery of Jon Arryn's death in that series or early in series 2. Much neater, rather than having that whole plot hang about for multiple series (which I think will be awkward on TV): but that screws with the timing re: Sansa being taken out of KL. So maybe not.

But Arryn's death isn't linked in any direct way to what Hoster did to Lysa, Cat doesn't even put 2 and 2 together. It was Arryn's desire to remove sickly Bob from his suffocating mother (OK her suffocating mothering is related to what Hoster did) that was his undoing. So finding out about Lysa's tragic past doesn't necessitate a reveal of her more recent actions. I don't see offing Hoster in season 1 as necessarily screwing up the Sansa plotline.

But Arryn's death isn't linked in any direct way to what Hoster did to Lysa, Cat doesn't even put 2 and 2 together. It was Arryn's desire to remove sickly Bob from his suffocating mother (OK her suffocating mothering is related to what Hoster did) that was his undoing.

Directly, yes. But the stuff about Tansy is important background info to explain why Lysa did it. It shows why she is a bit nuts, why she is so attached to little Robert (Robin), and why she is in league with LF, who pretty much directed her in this. You could drop the first two bits, but as far as I can see you really need to have the LF reveal.

I don't see offing Hoster in season 1 as necessarily screwing up the Sansa plotline.

Well, it all ties together - Sansa, LF, Cat, Lysa. You could rejig things, I suppose, though the way it happens in the books is just a wonderful resolution to the Lysa plotline.

After reading through the thread, I'm leaning towards (and hoping for) Hoster Tully.

I've read a few posts asking why they would even bother killing him off in season one, he's a non-character for in GoT for the most part. It won't change much. It could be easier just starting the season off with him being dead.

Here are reasons I could see them wanting to kill him off during season 1, and how they show us:

* Lysa is a nutjob. Having her deal with the death of her father in addition to her husband's and everything else would help spell out and justify to the audience that she is a woman that has completely lost her grip, and give an even stronger case as to why that is.

* There's going to be a good deal of scenes at the Eyrie. It would fit in seamlessly to have Lysa receive word of her father's death during or just prior to Catelyn's arrival.

Another small reason to kill off Hoster would be to remove any need for some sappy Catelyn/Hoster scenes in later seasons which would give more room for the action and more prominent characters.

I think killing off Beric for good early would be a grave mistake. I think he could be a popular character in the show without hogging much time at all. It would also remove much of the fearsome mystique surrounding the BWB.

If it's Rast, or any others of such low station in the books, then I wish this bit of info never would've come out at all; because does anybody really care that much about when Rast dies? tbh, even after several reads, I was very strained to recall the name from the series at all.

MINOR character. I don't even think Hoster fits how minor the character in fact is. But I can't say much more, beyond the fact that no, I do not actually know who it is. I just know he's VERY minor.

MINOR character. I don't even think Hoster fits how minor the character in fact is. But I can't say much more, beyond the fact that no, I do not actually know who it is. I just know he's VERY minor.

If it's that minor, why mention that it could be considered a secondary or tertiary character? I swear the whole lot of you are just messing with our heads, and nobody new is going to die at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think it matters how many times you explain this now; everyone's going to keep running with their worst nightmares of who it could be...

If it is Rast, I don't think anyone outside will (should) have a problem with it. Honestly, I don't even remember Rast dying in ASOS and I finished a re-read of the series not too long ago.

You clearly missed pages of discussion about Will surviving the prologue instead of Gared. (Or was it Gared instead of Will?)

Secondary or tertiary character was how I took it to begin with because that's how it sounded when George mentioned it, but a little bird did some checking and indicated they knew who it was, and it was in fact a VERY MINOR character. So, I made my correction. :)

Archived