[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

You know, I was just reviewing the Daenerys section of Storm of Swords' appendix (since I don't have Dance yet and I wanted to recall the characters in her storyline), and I noticed Maggo listed as a bloodrider to another khal. Then I remembered that he was killed in the show, and I got excited and rushed over here... only to find out it already here. :lol:

Edit: Wait, actually wasn't the premature death supposed to be someone who actually ends up dying in Storm of Swords? While Mago has not actually died in the novels?

If Maggo is the premature death then I don't really see it as that big of a deal. He doesn't show up for books 2,3,4, and 5. . . and then shows up in book 6? First of all we may never get past season 2 (CoK) and they could always just write in a new character for Maggo to fulfill that same role.

I don't have the patience to read through all 21 pages of discussion here, but don't you think it will be

Robb who dies? Given the pacing of the books, the Red Wedding could easily be part of a season mostly based on Clash of Kings, if some of the other characters' accounts are cut short a bit. Very little of the book directly follows Robb's actions, which works well in book form, where we can see inside POV characters' heads. I imagine that it would come after Blackwater, but I don't see it being a problem for it to go into this season.

I don't have the patience to read through all 21 pages of discussion here, but don't you think it will be

Robb who dies? Given the pacing of the books, the Red Wedding could easily be part of a season mostly based on Clash of Kings, if some of the other characters' accounts are cut short a bit. Very little of the book directly follows Robb's actions, which works well in book form, where we can see inside POV characters' heads. I imagine that it would come after Blackwater, but I don't see it being a problem for it to go into this season.

probably not. During the Comic Con panel D&D said they would want a season 3 specifically for that scene. Unfortunately we may not get there since it is such a damn good scene.

probably not. During the Comic Con panel D&D said they would want a season 3 specifically for that scene. Unfortunately we may not get there since it is such a damn good scene.

No, they said they wanted to end season 2 with that scene.

No. It was season 3. Although, not sure did they mean end the season or just have it in the season.

I was at the panel. It's Season 3 they want to build to for that scene. I can scourge up the youtube video later if needed be

Wasn't there a Dotraki fellow killed by Khal Drogo in the series but in the books, he goes on to become a Khal in his own right?

That was Mago. He doesn't become a Khal, but he travels with Khal Jhoqo and apparently

Mago will play a large part on book 6 The Winds of Winter, something that GRRM told the creators of the series but they killed him anyway.

• 3 months later...

GRRM apparently confirms that Maggo was the premature death.

And more:

Since all the "early death" speculation has come up again with Dan's comment on the Iceland news report, here's the explanation I got from George himself when I asked him about this at the LA book signing last summer:

He told me he was referring to Marillion, although there was some miscommunication. Apparently D&D initially planned to have Joff execute Marillion, but changed it to the throat-ripping during production. When George made the comment he had either forgotten about the change, or wasn't even aware of it yet (this was several months after the interview and he wasn't sure.)

Archived