[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

About Hoster Tully's death:

At the Inn in episode 4 Cat talks about her father in present tense and he is invited to lord Frey's wedding, so he is "alive". In the Thronecast video they say he died in a battle with "2 houses loyal to the house Targaryen" and Edmure succeeded him .

So there are 4 possibilities:

1. Thronecast made something up. (Pretty stupid.)

2. HBO fed them false information. (Why? To spread confusion??)

3. HBO got confused with their own script, so Hoster is alive until episode 4 and dead for 17 years after episode 4. (Which means they don't know their own show. Awful.)

4. 2 houses loyal to the Targaryens rebeled after episode 4 and got crushed before Edmure is shown on the show. (Which is way too cheap, as there aren't many suicidal houses in ASOIAF universe...)

I hope Thronecast made a mistake, because the other possibilities are way worse.

I think the actual explanation is likely: 5) There's an eff-ton of information about this show and someone got something wrong in the communication between HBO and Thronecast. In other words, it's an honest mistake.

The production has Bryan Cogman as a full-time staff member to correct these types of errors, and still little things slip out here and there, because frankly it's a Herculean task. Doesn't surprise me that something like this occasionally happens, particularly with a 3rd party partner that isn't even internal to HBO.

I think the actual explanation is likely: 5) There's an eff-ton of information about this show and someone got something wrong in the communication between HBO and Thronecast. In other words, it's an honest mistake.

The production has Bryan Cogman as a full-time staff member to correct these types of errors, and still little things slip out here and there, because frankly it's a Herculean task. Doesn't surprise me that something like this occasionally happens, particularly with a 3rd party partner that isn't even internal to HBO.

I don't think this discrepancy is due to misunderstanding between HBO and Thronecast. The quote "he died after injuries in battle fighting 2 houses that reamained loyal to the house Targaryen" is pretty hard do be misheard from "he died in bed". Of course it is a complicated story and everyone makes mistakes. But the aim of this Thronecast "show" is to inform people, rather than confuse them. Hired professionals doing their job wrong is not an honest mistake.

Honestly, I don't care if Thronecast make mistakes or not. The thing that bugs me is that it could be the writers's fault. I don't mind little or even big changes in the story or CGI Winterfell growing bigger every episode or something like that. What bothers me is when there is inconsistency that is easily noticable like Hoster Tully being alive in episode 4 and dead for 17 years in episode 7. And if they did it once, who knows maybe Jory will be alive in episode 8, if they forget about him too.

NOT critiquing the writers, they are doing fantastic job so far, just sharing my fears...

Hired professionals doing their job wrong is not an honest mistake.
Right. Everything should be perfect, because they're paid. :rolleyes: As an aside, you wrote "hard do be misheard form". But you're not paid for this opinion, so I am sure that's just fine.

It's easy to sling arrows when you're not involved.

Honestly, I don't care if Thronecast make mistakes or not.

Well, I think it's quite likely that's the case. But if it's the show that's made a mistake, that's too bad, but it won't be the end of the world either.

No reply from @thronecast, but Ran & Linda have apparently checked with Bryan Cogman and no, Hoster's still alive at this point. (See the new thread in this forum.) So he's definitely off the list. Now back to your regularly-scheduled speculation. :P

This doesn't guarantee he's off the list...he could easily be killed by Targaryen loyalists before episode 10...

Ran also confirmed that Hoster is very ill. So it seems they are sticking to the books on this one. :) While I wasn't too concerned either way, his illness does give her another reason to stay in the south. Given Bran's comments in E5, that is more important now.

If it'a a death that streamlines the story then I can't think of a better candidate than Hoster. But if it's just a minor character of little consequence then I guess there are a number of options and it's probably a character most people barely notice.

As much as I would hate it, the story could survive without the Hound.

Sacrilege! Duck and cover, Rickon4King! And besides, who would be King Rickon's sword shield if the Hound weren't around? :rolleyes:

Archived