[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

With the compression of the Stark bannermen into the GreatJon, would it be possible that the SmallJon has been killed in the battle of the Whispering Woods, taking the place to the Karstark sons? This would set the GreatJon up to behave more Karstarkish next season, and enable the show to keep Robb's internal conflicts with his bannermen, without a larger cast.

I had thought that a possibility myself, but because they don't introduce or mention any son of the Greatjon's who gets killed, it seems doubtful to me that they went that route.

How about Willem Lannister? He's Kevan's son, that was captured in the Whispering Wood and will be murdered by Karstark at the third season. I guess he would fall in the "very minor" character cathegory (we never see him).

They could have had him killed during the Battle of the Green Fork, and see Kevan's reaction on the last episode. Perhaps to show that the war also takes a toll on the lannister side, or to justify why Tywin sends Tyrion instead of Kevan to act as a Hand in King's Landing. And if S3 comes, we can always make up some prisoners for Kartark to murder.

It's possible. Actually in the preview for episode 10, there is a scene where Robb seems to be striking something or someone with his sword. Maybe he decides to kill Willem in retaliation for Ned's death, thus removing Karstark out of the story completely.

Someone on WiC has an interesting theory; maybe it is Grey Wind that gets axed? Grey Wind dies with Robb in the Red Wedding in Book 3 after all. Grey Wind is ... well, a pretty minor character in terms of on-screen presence, although I wouldn't go so far as to say 'very minor'. But does GW do anything very important (other than act very upset prior to the Red Wedding) that I am forgetting at this point in the story?

I think it's unlikely, myself. But, hadn't seen it mentioned, so...

[EDIT] And, with all of the issues the wolves have been giving them, and given they will show Robb onscreen in the show more than the books, this would be a convenient way to reduce the number of effects shots they are going to need, without just clumsily leaving GW out of scenes as they did in this season.

Roz - maybe in the books she died in Winterfell at the end of book 2 / start of book 3 but as no POV character was there to record it we just don't know about it.

Roz isn't a character in the books. Though if they killed her off next episode, I wouldn't exactly shed a tear...

I don't think Karstark has been cast yet, so I doubt we'll be seeing his character do anything important this season.

Unless D&D have managed to keep it secret. :)

Moving Karstark's attack forward is an interesting idea. I certainly wouldn't think Robb himself would kill a Lannister. That's not how he has been portrayed.

Karstark would have to attack Jaime (as well as any other Lannister captured), so that would give Jaime more to do also. OTOH, I suspect this wouldn't happen. Robb would probably only kill Karstark if he killed one of the Lannisters and that would mean 2 unexpected deaths, not 1. :)

Unless D&D have managed to keep it secret. :)

Moving Karstark's attack forward is an interesting idea. I certainly wouldn't think Robb himself would kill a Lannister. That's not how he has been portrayed.

Karstark would have to attack Jaime (as well as any other Lannister captured), so that would give Jaime more to do also. OTOH, I suspect this wouldn't happen. Robb would probably only kill Karstark if he killed one of the Lannisters and that would mean 2 unexpected deaths, not 1. :)

If one of the captives who's killed by Karstark dies this season, I suspect that it happened during the Whispering Wood, and we won't find out about it until next episode, when the Lannisters find out about Jaime's capture.

Does anyone else remember hearing GRRM say that David and Dan decided to kill a character early. I can't find it on his blog (that's where I remember seeing it most vividly. I think Winter Is Coming covered it, too), but I remember that he said D&D were going to kill of a male character (who died in book three) in Season 1 of the show.

I haven't noticed that happening. Does anyone else remember this? I've been expecting it to be a high profile charcter

Tywin, Robb, etc.

, but maybe it was a smaller, less important character like

Raff

and I just didn't notice.

If one of the captives who's killed by Karstark dies this season, I suspect that it happened during the Whispering Wood, and we won't find out about it until next episode, when the Lannisters find out about Jaime's capture.

Now that the Whispering Woods battle is finished and we still don't know who it is, this seems like the most likely case. If they're doing it to cut down on some scenes in season 3 I doubt they're going to devote an entire scene to some minor character getting killed, so it's probably some offhand remark. As the scout is reporting Jamie's capture to Tywin & company, a mention to Kevan that his son Willem Lannister was also slain in combat.

When this was first leaked I think many of us thought it would be Lord Karstark that got killed, but that went out the window when he wasn't cast. Doing it like above not only does it trim small plot line from season 3, but now they don't even have to cast any Karstarks to begin with and can cut them right out of the story.

Doing it like above not only does it trim small plot line from season 3, but now they don't even have to cast any Karstarks to begin with and can cut them right out of the story.

Hope not. :) They don't have to introduce Rickard until any S3, so I will continue to hope Rickard is included.

The thing to remember is it has to be a very minor character since George first brought it up with D&D as if they may have done it with out thinking/forgetting what happens in the book which IMO he obviously wouldn't think if it was any character of significance aka Jaimie's hand, Joffery (seriously why?), Greywind, Shae, Yoren etc . They then said it was done intentionally. Now if it was done intentionally it was probably to save time by cutting a scene or two or a minor unneeded character from the budget. Great Jon becoming Kasarks replacement would ruin an awesome and vital character IMO not to mention he seemed more then happy after the battle in ep 9 and not at all like someone who just lost a son. My money is on an off screen Hoster death.

Why not Balon Greyjoy?

It would make a lot of sense, think about this for a moment.

Theon should soon depart for the Iron Islands anyway, with a certain plan in mind. His fathers dead would come just in time to do a brief introduction to the Iron Men, skip a few (boring)chapters from book 2 and 3, and go straight to Theons betrayal of the Starks + Ironmen joining the War a little bit earlier.

At least I hope for this, as I consider the whole Iron Islands chapters in the book among more boring and unnecessary parts and I hope they(Greyjoys) would get less screening time in the series.

Why not Balon Greyjoy?

It would make a lot of sense, think about this for a moment.

Theon should soon depart for the Iron Islands anyway, with a certain plan in mind. His fathers dead would come just in time to do a brief introduction to the Iron Men, skip a few (boring)chapters from book 2 and 3, and go straight to Theons betrayal of the Starks + Ironmen joining the War a little bit earlier.

At least I hope for this, as I consider the whole Iron Islands chapters in the book among more boring and unnecessary parts and I hope they(Greyjoys) would get less screening time in the series.

I'm pretty sure they held a casting audition for Balon Greyjoy, so it's probably not him.

Archived