[Spoilers] Possible Casting Choices for Season Two

Xray the Enforcer

Created by request of Arek in the General (GoT) subforum. :)

Feel free to post your suggestions for possible Season Two characters. Please keep your comments about a given actor polite (it's OK to be critical, but don't be a jerk about it) -- you never know who might be reading. :)

I still sacrifice small animals at every full moon in the hope that they can get Christopher Ecclestone to play Stannis. He'd be great.

Ian Mcshane can play whoever he likes of course but Blackfish would be nice.

For some reason I think Max Brown would make a great Edmure Tully, which is an odd choice for me as it's largely based on the fact I thought the guy was ridiculous in Tudors (possibly intentionally as he has been good in other stuff). Then again I think Edmure is a ridiculous character.

Keith Allen seems too obvious a choice to play Theon's (Alfie allen) dad. Not sure if lilly allen would make a good Asha though.

Polly Walker (off of Rome) feels like the obvious Melissandre too but it depends on what age they want the character to be.

Bellucci is not good. I don't know if you've seen Polly Walker lately, but she's not really a good fit for Melisandre anymore. Ten years ago, absolutely.

I don't know why people keep suggesting Lily Allen for Asha; you do recall that Asha flirts with and actually gropes Theon's package?! Let's keep the incest fictional.

Eccleston would be amazing. Does he do TV anymore?

Bellucci is not good. I don't know if you've seen Polly Walker lately, but she's not really a good fit for Melisandre anymore. Ten years ago, absolutely.

I don't know why people keep suggesting Lily Allen for Asha; you do recall that Asha flirts with and actually gropes Theon's package?! Let's keep the incest fictional.

Eccleston would be amazing. Does he do TV anymore?

I'm against the lilly Allen casting too. I was just mentioning it as a "relative too far" for the greyjoys.

Eccleston has a new BBC mini-series coming out in 2011 so he still does TV. He also strikes me as a British actor who doesn't mind staying in the UK. I used to think he'd be toxic for TV as it appeared that he ditched Dr Who quickly for fear of being type-cast. This was such a stigma for him that he eventually got the BBC to apologise as the truth was he only ever signed a 1 year contract and he didn't renew as he had problems with the show's production. So he's gone on record as saying he'd happilly do a long running show if it was good enough. Personally I think Stannis is one of the more complex charaters in the series and one that could absolutely shine with a talented actor. Something Eccleston has in spades.

After seeing Evan Rachel Wood in MILDRED PIERCE, I'd certainly want to see her name added to the list of possibilities for Melisandre, she was stunning as Veda, and looks great as a redhead, which I don't think is her natural hair color. Probably too big a star now for such a role, and is an American, and most of the actors have to be members or member-eligible for British Equity, or get a waiver, which ain't easy, but I can dream right along with the rest of you of perfect casting.

Is there a British actor (and I use that term to include Scots, Welsh, the Irish of Northern Ireland, the Cornish and the Picts, Angles and Saxons, etc. that now dwell in that fair green realm) that gives off an Ian McShane vibe/look but is under the age of 50? McShane is about 70 now, but ever since I saw him as Al in DEADWOOD, it is his face I see and his voice I hear when I read Davos' chapters.

Of course, I also share your dreams of Liam Nesson as Qhorin Half Hand, and would crawl on my knees on thankfulness to 3 of Bridghe's sacred wells in Kerry if Dame Judith would agree to become the Queen of Thorns.

A girl can dream, can't she? Besides

for Neeson, he'd be dead and gone in a few episodes. And so far, the Queen of Thorns has some delightful scenes, but would only appear in a few episodes for any possible future seasons, not too big a work load, and I'm sure that every effort would be made to accommodate her schedule.

Like, I said, even I can dream of perfect casting, even though I know more of the realities of casting, budgets, etc., that the average fan of the series does, and the average fan of the series is pretty damn informed if they keep up with news and discussions on Westeros.

For the Queen of Thorns, if they can't get Dame Judi, I really liked Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple in the most recent production. I'm not sure how old the QoT is supposed to be-- "old" or actually old, but I'm sure she could work. (But that's season 3, isn't it? Bah. QoT is one of my favorites in the whole series.)

After seeing Evan Rachel Wood in MILDRED PIERCE, I'd certainly want to see her name added to the list of possibilities for Melisandre, she was stunning as Veda, and looks great as a redhead, which I don't think is her natural hair color. Probably too big a star now for such a role, and is an American, and most of the actors have to be members or member-eligible for British Equity, or get a waiver, which ain't easy, but I can dream right along with the rest of you of perfect casting.

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction to Miss Wood. I thought the teen actress who played young Veda had greater 'presence'. Evan LOOKED gorgeous, but I never felt anything from or for her.

I agree 100% on the rest though. Olenna Tyrell is such a fun role, I am hoping it can lure someone who might not otherwise take that small a part. Same with Oberyn Martell.

Is there a British actor (and I use that term to include Scots, Welsh, the Irish of Northern Ireland, the Cornish and the Picts, Angles and Saxons, etc. that now dwell in that fair green realm) that gives off an Ian McShane vibe/look but is under the age of 50? McShane is about 70 now, but ever since I saw him as Al in DEADWOOD, it is his face I see and his voice I hear when I read Davos' chapters.

Of course, I also share your dreams of Liam Nesson as Qhorin Half Hand, and would crawl on my knees on thankfulness to 3 of Bridghe's sacred wells in Kerry if Dame Judith would agree to become the Queen of Thorns.

I think Dominic West carries the same weight acting wise as Mcshane does and has relatively similar appearance. West could also play pretty much anyone in the show too. Davos is going to be a tricky character to make interesting in the show (I find the events he witnesses far more interesting than the charater himself) but if you had West playing him he could probably bring a lot out of the character.

As for Liam Neeson, the good news is that he seems to love the action roles nowadays and the fact he played Qui Gon Jin means he wouldn't have a problem doing fantasy either.

the fact he'd only need to shoot a couple of episodes should make it feasible to squeeze in between his hectic movie schedule

Hopefully he'll see a couple episodes of season 1 and enjoy it.

SOMEONE... told me that Liam Neeson would be way out of the casting budget, so I've tried to strangle that idea in my head. But if by some chance it would work -- hey, it's in his native Belfast -- I'm all for it. ;) Though I think I've read he wants to take a few months this year, and he's booked for something later in the year, so, I don't know if the stars are right.

Eccleston, all for it, though I realized yesterday that he was my image of one of the tree tall Baratheon bastards, and as it happens, they are not-so-tall on the show. He'd stick out, but hey, brilliant actor. :)

Eccleston, all for it, though I realized yesterday that he was my image of one of the tree tall Baratheon bastards, and as it happens, they are not-so-tall on the show. He'd stick out, but hey, brilliant actor. :)

I would be the inverse of the books in the sense that Stannis was supposed to be the runt and the other two were the tall look-alikes. In a way it may be more consistent having a tall stannis. Eccleston can probably act small, he's that good (much like Brian Cox can appear tall or short depending on the role - seriously)

Speaking of which Brian Cox would make a damn fine cast addition and given he was in Troy (and he's done Deadwood) it's not impossible he'll turn up. I always imagined him as the old bear but there must be other roles for him. I'm trying to think of an old devious character who turns up in season 2?

Eccleston is generally great at everything. I'm a big fan. However I'm not sure about casting him as Stannis; he rarely sticks around for multiple seasons. He has spoken of this in the media before.

There are a lot of wonderful british actors who could bring Stannis to life without breaking HBO's bank. Many comments elsewhere have suggested Kevin Mckidd for the role. I would like to see Steven Waddington be given a shot at it. David Morrissey is a big name and talent in the UK. ANY of these actors would be marvellous.

One performance I would love to see: Sam Troughton as Edmure. He blew my mind at the RSC this year.

Play-casting ASoIaF is so much fun, it's like picking sweets!

Ian Mcshane can play whoever he likes of course but Blackfish would be nice.

I can't make up my mind about McShane. Sometimes I hate him, sometimes I love him. Maybe if I research him enough as a possible Blackfish I'll fall in love with him like it happened with Jeremy Irons, who wasn't one of my faves.

Time for shameless pimping: in my signature is a little gallery of possible and impossible Blackfishies. By now, however, I'd like to have a hint wether he's even going to be featured in this show. Aside from my personal sympathies, I believe a lack of Blackfish would be a great loss for the originality of the show.

I can't make up my mind about McShane. Sometimes I hate him, sometimes I love him. Maybe if I research him enough as a possible Blackfish I'll fall in love with him like it happened with Jeremy Irons, who wasn't one of my faves.

Time for shameless pimping: in my signature is a little gallery of possible and impossible Blackfishies. By now, however, I'd like to have a hint wether he's even going to be featured in this show. Aside from my personal sympathies, I believe a lack of Blackfish would be a great loss for the originality of the show.

It could also be an outright disaster if he becomes a big player in the future books too - which was the impression I was getting at the end of AFFC.

With Mcshane I think the script has to be up to it as i've seen him in some pretty bad things. Pillars of the earth was one example in which I was left thinking he was completely wasted in it.

As for Eccleston not doing multiple seasons, I'd have to see the interviews in which he has said this. As i said before this is often due to him being misrepresented after he left Dr Who, something which he eventually made the BBC clear up. That said he does only seem to do short stints but I suspect he tells them he's there as a guest star upfront (as in Heroes).

I agree that Kevin Mckidd could also do a good Stannis.

It could also be an outright disaster if he becomes a big player in the future books too - which was the impression I was getting at the end of AFFC.

I got the same impression, but my worry is the opposite: if the Blackfish is not in the TV series, it means he won't become a big player and he'll drown in the Trident or something. Like the whole series was a Blackfish spoiler for ADWD and the rest of the saga.

With Mcshane I think the script has to be up to it as i've seen him in some pretty bad things. Pillars of the earth was one example in which I was left thinking he was completely wasted in it.

I think it was the hair. I've never been able to watch Pillars of the Earth, despite having fairly liked the book, due to McShane's hair. It made him look like an old spinster. On the other hand, a while ago I caught "Death Race", which is not certainly Academy Award material, and McShane was incredible despite having a tiny part - easily the best thing of the movie.

I always had Ciaran Hinds in mind for the Blackfish, possibly because I watched Rome around the same time I first read the series.

I also had Robert Carlyle or Dougray Scott in mind for Mance Rayder, both are probably a bit too old for the character though. And thats season 3, they'll probably be even older by that time

I got the same impression, but my worry is the opposite: if the Blackfish is not in the TV series, it means he won't become a big player and he'll drown in the Trident or something. Like the whole series was a Blackfish spoiler for ADWD and the rest of the saga.

I'm thinking if they cut the Blackfish from the series then Edmure will end up as an amalgam of himself and his uncle so they won't need to cut any storyline just tweak things around to make him do both roles.

In terms of fantasy casting, Marianne Faithfull would be a great Queen of Thorns, she has an amazing gravely voice and can do haughty pretty good.

Edit: sorry hadn't seen the post by Ran, never mind me.

Archived