[Spoilers] Possible Casting Choices for Season Two

Xray the Enforcer

I, for one, am not through with the British, thank you. Are there decent roles for Rowan Atkinson, for example, or Stephen Fry? Oh, and who was that guy in Inglourious Basterds, the British serviceman who posed as a German captain? Even though he completely botched their mission, the cool deadpan with which he faced his end was dead sexy.

To tell the truth, I had always seen somebody like him for Renly.

I, for one, am not through with the British, thank you. Are there decent roles for Rowan Atkinson, for example, or Stephen Fry? Oh, and who was that guy in Inglourious Basterds, the British serviceman who posed as a German captain? Even though he completely botched their mission, the cool deadpan with which he faced his end was dead sexy.

I presume you mean Michael Fassbender. He is, ironically, German

I was about to point out that the Tully's seem to have been given a Scottish accent - but then remembered that the Riverlands and Iron Islands used to be part of the same Kingdom - so that'd work really well. The Greyjoys would need a stronger accent, to make them stand out as separate still - but again, that still works, and there's still good variety within the realm of Scottish accents to be had.

I think it's a good call.

Hiliary Swank could not pull off Brienne - so far the only name I've seen with any resemblance at all is Eva Damen; and even she's a little on the short and slim side - just less far off than anyone else

I thought the Tullys had a distinctly Irish accent. Some of the northerners have a Scottish accent (Robb) so unless they can get the Iron Isles accent really strong, they should go with Scandinavian IMO

As far as I know, he was supposed to be maester Pycelle but had to be recast because of some serious health issues.

Do you have any arguments for this opinion, better than "because I say so"? ;) The only problem may be her height (5' 6½"), but with some camera work it can be resolved. She is a talented actress and she proved in BSG that she can play complicated fighter-type woman.

In a world with no guns and where to date combat has actually been shown realistically, and where the fighting style is with big longswords, armour and shields, she has to be able to kill multiple armed and armoured men at once, win a melée and overpower Jaime. 5 foot 6 isn't just too small, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too small. Plus her build is small. Plus she doesn't have a natural British accent like 95+% of the current cast (and one of the 3, I think, that doesn't now does not speak any English in the show, and both others have had experience with British accents in big productions). Her character is not a complicated fighter woman, one of her defining characteristics is her simplicity. The other is her awkwardness which Katie Sackhoff doesn't naturally seem to have. She is also stunning unlike Brienne. The poster said she was a bad choice because aside from being able to act (like most actresses) and being a fighter in previous characters (albeit in an entirely different manner and form of combat with little to no crossover with Brienne's) she does not naturally fulfil any of the character's criteria. Having a slight and short girl beat up every guy she meets looks ridiculous outside of QT movies.

• 3 weeks later...

In a world with no guns and where to date combat has actually been shown realistically, and where the fighting style is with big longswords, armour and shields, she has to be able to kill multiple armed and armoured men at once, win a melée and overpower Jaime. 5 foot 6 isn't just too small, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too small. Plus her build is small. Plus she doesn't have a natural British accent like 95+% of the current cast (and one of the 3, I think, that doesn't now does not speak any English in the show, and both others have had experience with British accents in big productions). Her character is not a complicated fighter woman, one of her defining characteristics is her simplicity. The other is her awkwardness which Katie Sackhoff doesn't naturally seem to have. She is also stunning unlike Brienne. The poster said she was a bad choice because aside from being able to act (like most actresses) and being a fighter in previous characters (albeit in an entirely different manner and form of combat with little to no crossover with Brienne's) she does not naturally fulfil any of the character's criteria. Having a slight and short girl beat up every guy she meets looks ridiculous outside of QT movies.

Pwned :)

Soooo many ASOIAF fans cannot cope with the thought that a female character might not be eye candy. It's pretty sad.

Also, BSG appears to be the only recent show they have watched with a tough girl on it. If this show had been made 10 years ago, Sarah Michelle Geller would have been on everyone's lips for Brienne. Luckily, casting directors have a broader pool to draw from.

Camera work can be impressive but it can't turn a delicate little sylph like Katee Sackhoff into a 6-foot+ woman built like a brick shit house. If it could, they could have cast some 5-foot-10 lean dude as the Mountain or Hodor and saved themselves some casting trouble.

McNulty is Davos.

I like this choice. Davos, in my opinion anyway, could be kind of dull onscreen so having Dominic West play the character will make him a lot more interesting; plus it would be great to have another actor from The Wire on the show.

I like the suggestion of David Morrissey as Stannis, and I'd like to add Sean Harris (I think he's in teh Tudors, not sure if he's free) as either Roose or Ramsay Bolton. Also, Jim Carter as Weese.

Is Rowan Atkinson too old to play Dolorous Edd?

Michael Fassbender would make a good Rhaegar or Arthur Dayne if they wanted a bigger actor for a flashback cameo.

For the Queen of Thorns, if they can't get Dame Judi, I really liked Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple in the most recent production. I'm not sure how old the QoT is supposed to be-- "old" or actually old, but I'm sure she could work. (But that's season 3, isn't it? Bah. QoT is one of my favorites in the whole series.)

I'd rather have Dame Maggie Smith as the QoT. I pictured her as thinner (more frail?) than Judi Dench. With the end of the Potter series, her schedule has been freed up.

And Alexander Siddig as Oberyn Martell. I always picture the Dornish as having a mid-eastern look to them. Sort of the Turkish part of the continent.

GH

I agree that Katie Sackhoff is the best choice for Brienne.

What?!? Sackhoff, a hottie by the way, couldn't possibly play Brienne. Not only is she hot (as I mentioned), but she is short as well. Two things that Brienne is NOT.

Did I mention that Sackhoff is hot?

Daniela Sea as Brienne of Tarth

If she was taller and more muscular maybe. She was pretty awesome on "The L Word" but I don't think she is right for Brienne. Not to mention she isn't quite ugly enough. Brienne is just one of those women that you don't ever mistake for being *physically* pretty.

WiC has some pretty cool casting threads, they had one for Brieanne.

I really like the look of Eva Damen for the role; however, although WiC says she's tall, her IMDB profile claims she is 5'9". Still, probably my favorite and I like that she's taking the Conan Stevens route.

I'm sold! She IS Brienne! Get her working the weights a bit in preparation, though, to give her some added breadth at the shoulders, and she is perfect.

I would love to see Henry Ian Cusick for Davos. He was excellent as Desmond on Lost and I feel like he could really play up the role as a more sympathetic adviser to Stannis. I don't think he's attached to any projects right now and he would be recognizable to a lot of the audience after he work on Lost.

I would absolutely love to see Henry Ian Cusick in GoT! He is such a good actor.

Somebody has probably already had this idea, but I think Alan Rickman would be a good Roose Bolton.

And Jason Flemyng would be a good Jaqen H'ghar.

And somebody like Max von Sydow would make a good Cressen.

And Damian Lewis could be Edmure.

And Kevin J. O'Connor could be Vargo Hoat.

And Mance Rayder will be played by..................Julian Barratt, from the Mighty Boosh.

Archived