Making Room for the TV Show?

Ran

Having some sort of acknowledgment of the TV show's version of the novels and the characters strikes me as a potentially good idea. Sort of like how Wikipedia has 'In Other Media' sections for fictional characters, noting depictions of them in film and television or what have you.

So, throwing the idea of this out there. It could be more or less ambitious than that, but I'm not sure if there's a quick way to make room for something like that in a template or something, so that (for example) every character page has an appropriate section in place (even if not filled out) that might prompt people to help fill it in.

For wiki purposes, BTW, the HBO images in our Game of Thrones gallery seem to be all right to add, so long as it's noted they're copyright HBO in some fashion. Or maybe put down to 'fair use', I suppose, but I prefer to just note it.

At least for the characters we should add an extra section to each article with information like "in the tv show Daenerys is played by Emilia Clarke". And for the books we can point to which season of the tv series it (more or less) correspond. I'll try to change the Character template to include the actor that plays the character.

For other thinks I am not sure. La Guarde de Nuit has articles about the actors, technical information and so on. And a portal to link the articles together. If people are interested in that we do the same. But think that Wikia and Wikipedia are better suited for that.

The one thing that makes this really complicated is where they have melded two characters together into one for the tv show. This makes it exceptionally hard to meld the tv characters with the book characters. I almost kinda want to make a portal of some sort with a page for each character and event rather then meld it into the book stuff. The Night's Watch stuff for example, just in the opening scene will confuse the hell out of readers if in the books Will does one thing and in the show he does another.

IMO, the clearest way to present the Game of Thrones stuff would be to have a new page for the tv character like "Jon Snow (Game of Thrones)" and have a portal where all the Game of Thrones pages link back to. Side by side on the front page. One portal for the books would be "A Song of Ice and Fire" and all its related merchandise and the other portal would be "Game of Thrones" and all its related merchandise. Not only would this keep things clear but it would also prevent spoilerage to a certain point until we can get those tags from La Garde du Nuit.

Take this as an example: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page , of what I mean. On the side navigation panel you have the Transformers universes broken up into sections. Click on one of those, for example War for Cybertron and it will give you all the elements of the franchise. From there the breakdown goes further to characters and merchandise. This is kinda what I envisioned.

In Lord of the Rings wiki and Harry Potter wiki they have the information about the characters in one article. The Harry Potter wiki does not seem to make any distinction, the Lord of the Rings wiki usually has a separate section within the article dedicated to the film character. To me that seems the best approach. If I read about the character I would want the complete information in one article and not have to switch to another one.

Besides we do not have a lot of active users on the wiki. And the content for most POV characters still need some improvement. Creating separate new pages for characters in the film without a lot of content does not appeal to me.

But a portal and links to the episode on the main page is a good idea.

Since I don't really care about the Tv show either way, whoever wants to run with that can. I was just offering my suggestion as a way out of the troublesome area of reconciling the parts where the two storylines don't match, like what I saw during the 12 minute intro. I just see them as different continuities due to all the changes. Good luck to that person!

Since I don't really care about the Tv show either way, whoever wants to run with that can. I was just offering my suggestion as a way out of the troublesome area of reconciling the parts where the two storylines don't match, like what I saw during the 12 minute intro. I just see them as different continuities due to all the changes. Good luck to that person!

For me it is a bit the same: adding a complete new content is a lot of work so I was not planning to do that. (I want to focus on the books). Besides the the wikia will focus on that. But adding an extra section to a current article is doable.

I agree with you Scafloc. I think we already have too much to do with the book area. I made the portal and new pages suggestion because those who would like to work on the project because of the tv show could come in and work in an area separate from ours, leaving us book fans to work in peace.

As and example I have added a section to the articles of Will and Gared. The episode (Winter is coming) in which they are playing is made as a link. Currently that article (for the episode Winter is coming) does not exist but maybe in the future somebody will want to create it.

I also changed the template for the characters by adding to new (optional) parameters:

• Played_by -> to fill in the actor that plays the character in the series
  • TV_series -> to fill in in which of the series that character is in. This is basically the same function as the existing "Book(s)" parameter

• 3 months later...

we already have a separate category for the TV Show articles, if you decide to separate all the the novel and Tv adaptation articles, I suggest using a separate template for the TV characters.

For wiki purposes, BTW, the HBO images in our Game of Thrones gallery seem to be all right to add, so long as it's noted they're copyright HBO in some fashion. Or maybe put down to 'fair use', I suppose, but I prefer to just note it.

there is a new Copyright template, that will take care of that and organize the images(to avoid duplicate uploads or to allow you to browse through all our HBO photos, covers etc)

at the moment it's still not working(the damn table/template | {!} problem) but it's a few minutes fix.

Well I was not deciding anything. I wanted to point out that though I like the series I am not that interested in (working on) things like who produced it, where it was filmed, who did the special effects and so on. I think more of us feel that way.

Does not mean that I have any objection that such articles will become part of the wiki. Just that the question if said articles will become part of the wiki should be decided by the one who do want to work on it (or have strong objections against it).

And if it should become part of the wiki then for the characters I have the preference that it will become a part of the regular article. Especially it would seem strange to me that for a small character like for instance Vardis Egen there would be two articles; Vardis in the books and Vardis in the tv series. But again if other has a different opinion and are willing to put effort in that I don;t have major problems against different solutions.

About the template: I have already made a template that is used for pictures for which we have the permission to use. The artists whom I approached for permission to show their pictures all requested a link to their own homepage (or another page they are using). Also that template has a parameter for the text of the permission. I would like to include the permission as well to avoid problems as with the Amoka pictures were people were wondering if we are allowed to use them.

So if you aim is to make a template that can be used for each type of copyright I would like that to be included. If those parameters are of little use for the other copyright tags types then the templates should remain separate.

Well I was not deciding anything. I wanted to point out that though I like the series I am not that interested in (working on) things like who produced it, where it was filmed, who did the special effects and so on. I think more of us feel that way.

my damn english... the 'you', was more of 'you guys' not the give you trouble with RAN or whatever. Anyway I share the same sentiment about anything todo with the TV adaptation section, I only wanted bounce that idea in case we do end up with two sections.

About the template: I have already made a template that is used for pictures for which we have the permission to use. The artists whom I approached for permission to show their pictures all requested a link to their own homepage (or another page they are using). Also that template has a parameter for the text of the permission. I would like to include the permission as well to avoid problems as with the Amoka pictures were people were wondering if we are allowed to use them.

So if you aim is to make a template that can be used for each type of copyright I would like that to be included. If those parameters are of little use for the other copyright tags types then the templates should remain separate.

Obviously, if you look in some of my older page history, I canvased the various Copyright version we use (CC3, self, permission and fair use) and found the "legal mambo" for it. the only reason I didnt added the additional functionality to the existing template is because the syntax didnt fit and I didnt want to break comptabilty with all the pages that already use it.

anyway, it's already incorporated in the new one. you can check it out, give it try, see if there something you think need to be fixed.(beside the few missing images, none westorsy brownish color theme and the attribution to wiki ;) )

btw, you already seen the wiki like infobox, I am planing to replace all the infobox templates to work with it, i'd love if look at it, tell me what you think.

The type "Permission" is there but I meant that I could not find a parameters for the website and the creator / copyright holder. (For the text of the permission it is no problem; it fits fine in you text parameter field).

I like the idea to use 1 single template. That way you only have to check which type it is so it helps you. It is just that for the permission I want have the name of the creator (and or copyright holder) ánd the url of their website as parameters. Because that is something we can give them in return for allowing us to show their pictures: a bit of publicity.

If I overlooked it please tell me but I could not find it.

I also changed the template for the characters by adding to new (optional) parameters:

• Played_by -> to fill in the actor that plays the character in the series
  • TV_series -> to fill in in which of the series that character is in. This is basically the same function as the existing "Book(s)" parameter

Would it make more sense, instead of merely listing the title of the TV series, to instead list/link the episodes he appears in? I don't know if it would work better to simply display the NUMBER of episodes the character has appeared in, or to put the episode titles, or to simply list the episodes in which the character first and last appeared (obviously, some characters would simply be marked as "ongoing" or whatever).

I'm just thinking that even if the show decides to use seasonal "sub-headings" to indicate which book they're following (so season 2 has the subtitle "Clash of Kings") the show itself will still retain the "Game of Thrones" title. As a result, there's little point in even mentioning on the wiki that the character appeared in the series "Game of Thrones."

Well the sentiment of The Pale Griffin, Mordin99 and myself is that we prefer working on the subjects of the book to that of the TV series.

So I have no objection that the article includes the episodes in which a character is in but I am not adding it myself. But if you like I'll change the template to make Episode an optional parameter.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just figure if we're trying to hash out a format, it's a good suggestion. If you can include it as an option, I think it'll get some use, and if we're aiming for clarity then it makes the most sense to organize the information in that way.

Scafloc, was talking about the Character template (see for example on the top right). if you were talking about those templates as well, then I doubt that episodes names would fit there(with all the seasons in mind) but episodes numbers could work.

Actually episodes numbers there or in the TV show section, might be a great Idea, as long as there is some kind of added value for it. For example: Those 'books links' give you aditional info about the books and the 'refrence links' give you chapter summaries. But all we have on the TV show is this:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_episodes (with a summary of a summary of the espisodes)

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Game_of_Thrones

IMO content is alwasy the king, if you think you can make it work or even take as step further and add enough content to make this into full Portal (so our main page wont link to this but to something like our french friends version), then dont be shy dig in. (I'll be happy to help out with the templates).

@Scafloc, about those templates, would it make sense to seprate the TV adapatation part fields from the rest, similar to the way that poter wiki you link to do it that is Biographical/Physical/Family information sections.

Archived