Making Room for the TV Show?

Ran

I was thinking about one field per season. Compare with the books:

Book(s)

Season 1

Then make a template that helps so that you only have to fill in the Episode no and the template will transform this is to the name of the episode including link and return char.

And when the new software is installed adding the button or text that let's you show or hide the information.

Edit: text appears different then intended: new try

Err, I just noiced that we DO have episode summaries and a nice ones at that, so I was wrong about that in my privious post.

---

as for the template part, IMO it would get crowded there and fast, especially for those HBO star characters, here is a quick illustration of the problem as I see it : http://i51.tinypic.com/13zvpqx.jpg

so, maybe for this a new section(in the text) might serve beter or only use Episode numbers, for example:

appeard on:

Season 1: 1,2,3,7,8

Season 2: 1,2,3,7,8

EDIT: with all the interst I started a new HBO Portal, so if anyone want to poke the TV show side of things, dont be shy.

EDIT2: On side note. Personally, I am more interested in linking the Coat of arms images to their house page.

Err, I just noiced that we DO have episode summaries and a nice ones at that, so I was wrong about that in my privious post.

They're actually the Wikipedia episode summaries copied over, interestingly, I note, without the 'This Content is From Wikipedia' tag that you're supposed to use whenever this is done. I assume that's just a placeholder until someone can create their own summaries, so you may want to get on that.

As usual, feel free to check out the TV wiki to see how we handle categories (we have a stellar contributor who focuses solely on keeping the categories organised) and templates (which are a bit basic but seem to work well).

If only we had that stellar contributor of yours, I made some headway with the categories but I couldn't figure out how to divide the content part in a logical, easy to use scheme that people would adopt. <_<

And if we had it organized right and that nifty Image categories plugin used by wika, to make it look better, I wouldnt have to try to make those cursed portals :D

btw, I dont know which page you seen but I am pretty sure that the one I seen had the wikipidea tag at the bottom. Also any chance you would help us with TV show section?

If only we had that stellar contributor of yours, I made some headway with the categories but I couldn't figure out how to divide the content part in a logical, easy to use scheme that people would adopt. <_<

And if we had it organized right and that nifty Image categories plugin used by wika, to make it look better, I wouldnt have to try to make those cursed portals :D

btw, I dont know which page you seen but I am pretty sure that the one I seen had the wikipidea tag at the bottom. Also any chance you would help us with TV show section?

Oh yeah, it's at the bottom. I didn't see it there. That's good then.

As for helping with the TV section, I'm afraid not. The TV Wiki takes up enough time as it is, and I remain unconvinced of the need to incorporate TV materials on the book wiki when you could just have the two Wikis working more closely together instead (with closer cross-linking etc). That would eradicate most of your problems in one go. In fact, it might be possible to incorporate the entirety of the TV wiki as a portal on the book wiki (and vice versa) but I think you'd have to move the WoIaF to Wikia as well, an idea which has been shot down several times (despite the enormous benefits it would have for signing on, reducing the load on the Westeros.org server etc). The current solution - of duplicating information on the book wiki from Wikipedia or the TV Wiki - seems unsatisfactory and involves a massive amount of work which is essentially redundant.

Oh yeah, it's at the bottom. I didn't see it there. That's good then.

As for helping with the TV section, I'm afraid not. The TV Wiki takes up enough time as it is, and I remain unconvinced of the need to incorporate TV materials on the book wiki when you could just have the two Wikis working more closely together instead (with closer cross-linking etc). That would eradicate most of your problems in one go. In fact, it might be possible to incorporate the entirety of the TV wiki as a portal on the book wiki (and vice versa) but I think you'd have to move the WoIaF to Wikia as well, an idea which has been shot down several times (despite the enormous benefits it would have for signing on, reducing the load on the Westeros.org server etc). The current solution - of duplicating information on the book wiki from Wikipedia or the TV Wiki - seems unsatisfactory and involves a massive amount of work which is essentially redundant.

Werthead, there are already two wiki's that deal with the information from the books. That has never been a problem so how could it be a problem that information about the TV series is on two wiki's?

I agree with your statement that if information or images is copied we should include from where it is copied (when we started the wiki I made a template for this). So yes there is some work to do. It can once in while happen that someone forgets to attribute the source when coping. I was honoured when on the Game of Thrones wikia you used part of the coat of arms that I made for the AWOIAF. At that time there also was no source info. No problem; that can happen and it was added soon after.

Werthead, there are already two wiki's that deal with the information from the books. That has never been a problem so how could it be a problem that information about the TV series is on two wiki's?

The second wiki for the books was started by people who didn't know about WoIaF, and has little to no activity on it because people are soon sent on their way to WoIaF (Wikia admins are actually currently pondering the deletion of the 'other wiki' since it is indeed redundant in the face of WoIaF's existence).

From long experience, getting the TV wiki into a usable state was frustrating. Dealing with the different strands of information, separating out in-situ stuff from behind-the-scenes things, organising categories (which drove us to insanity before an editor sat down for about a week solid and dealt with it) and - especially - keeping well-meaning editors from spoiling the entire TV series through articles about the books has proven to be hard work, only possible because a dozen or more editors regularly worked on the site for more than a year to get it into its current state. Knowing that, I'm concerned at seeing the WoIaF team wanting to go through all that again to simply have slightly different versions of the exact same information on a different website. That's why, if you want to go down that path (rather than simply linking to the TV wiki as we link to the WoIaF already), I would strongly advocate you looking at what we've done already and see what inspiration you can take from it.

My main point I suppose is unnecessary redundancy of information. The TV Wiki is already covering the TV series in a lot of detail and thanks to the name, will be the first stop for Googlers (it's also free from the current SQL errors keeping the book wiki periodically offline, though that's a temporary problem until the new server is installed, and anyone can edit, avoiding the restrictions on the book wiki). So I don't see what purpose is served by having TV information on the book wiki as well unless you take a fundamentally different approach, such as perhaps approaching the TV series from the POV of people who've read the books already. That could make the (huge amount of) work involved worthwhile.

I thought that you were one of the people who started the wikia. And you knew about AWOIAF.

No. The wikia was started by some random fans some time before I stumbled across it. For a while I suggested using it instead of WoIaF since WoIaF was not in a great state at the time (only a couple hundred articles at the time, IIRC, as this was what, three years ago?) and there were speed/server issues using it, whilst the wikia was more efficient and easier to use, but these problems were swiftly overcome (by Ran loading a lot of the same functionality as Wikia on board) and WoIaF exploded in popularity, so there was little reason to carry on working on the Wikia version. I've actually been in discussion with one of the Wikia admins for some time about the Wikia's fate since it is redundant in the face of WoIaF, but some random people do seem to like using it, so it's just been left as it was.

One idea we did have was to convert it into a Wiki about merchandise, since the WoIaF has very little on that aspect (the board game, the card game, the computer games etc), but that felt like too much work, and probably something that would be more at home on WoIaF (for book-related merchandise) or the TV Wiki (for TV stuff).

My opinion about the content of AWOIAF is still the same: I think we should add the summaries, some basic information about the TV series and some of the differences. It would be strange to ignore the existence of it.

But I am not that interested in doing more than that. On wikipedia and on the GOT wikia there is whole lot of information about the production, clothing, cost, and so on. I really don't care about that. But if somebody wants to work on that is fine by me.

As for helping with the TV section, I'm afraid not. The TV Wiki takes up enough time as it is, and I remain unconvinced of the need to incorporate TV materials on the book wiki

I hate when TV screen captures intrude on the pages as the main source of information but I see no problem to use TV show, card games or any other materials for additional reference.

I also like your region maps, they are much better then the quick placeholder crap I made (btw speaking of copyright, all those maps are very accurate, it's not even tracing ;) )

anyway, I think that scaflock, summed it up nicely we do need the bare bones.

Speaking on maps; I am working on a new one currently based on the one of Westeros.

@Werthead, does the licence for your map include changes? If so I'd like to use the part of Essos.

The licence issues on the map are a little bit hazy, since I created it by tracing over a scan of the ADWD Free Cities map (many of the original lines are still there, especially on the rivers which do not match the Westeros map one yet, so they need to be thoroughly redone to remove potential copyright issues, a project I need to get back on) and then combining it with the existing redone Westeros Wiki map. So I'd probably err on the side of redoing the map to remove all traces of the original drawing. Which I think might be my project for the next week :)

Bantam did make the Free Cities map freely available for download on their website, but that likely did not include permission for changes. So a complete tracing or reworking of it will be required.

Speaking on maps; I am working on a new one currently based on the one of Westeros.

That sounds great!

Bantam did make the Free Cities map freely available for download on their website' date=' but that likely did not include permission for changes. So a complete tracing or reworking of it will be required. [/quote']

personally, I think that in this case copyrights are over rated. as long as we state that all rights reserved to them and use it for none commercial use, this should be fair use...

I would love to upload those maps to the wiki and place the on all those pages name MAP of .... that only have a list of locations <_<

btw is there any chance that "permission for changes" does not include the use of layers? because I can easily load another Image over it, you know like google maps layers or those transparent pages in your encyclopedia.

Archived