[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion

Ran

I didn't really notice the chains, but my boyfriend said that it looked like there were only five large links - he thought that each maester was supposed to have a fairly significant number of links, so that making just five of them so large was kind of unrealistic.

think an argument could be made that it wasn't until AFFC that she really began her decline because she no longer had anyone to rely on. Her father dead, her son who she saw herself in dead, her glorious brother maimed and disinterested in her, her less glorious brother on the loose and gunning for her (or so she believes), even her steadfast uncle tells her to piss off. She has lost pretty much every support block she's ever had and is now revealing the spoiled, arrogant, paranoid, stupidly short-sighted woman beneath it all.
I still think that the primary impetus was Joffrey's death for her paranoia - but to be fair, she gets a whole lot of shit handed to her very, very fast. Joff's death, Tyrion's guilt, Jaime's coming back without a hand and then being all weird, Tywin's death at the hands of Tyrion - she loses a lot very quickly.

I'm not saying she's this devious mastermind, but calling her stupid and shortsighted rings to me more of misogyny than it does an accurate telling of her character.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the shot in Ned's chambers, where the camera focuses on Ned while Catelyn and Luwyn are arguing behind him about whether or not he should go to King's Landing, framed in such a way that they were quite literally the angel and the devil on the shoulder. Of course, this being not about good and evil, you're not really supposed to be sure which is the angel and which is the devil, or if that description at all applies. I thought it was a fantastic, wonderful quiet little shot.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought it was total cheese ball.

One scene that was done kinda cheesy was the Ned/Cat/Luewin scene. Cat over one shoulder saying 'don't go'. Luewin over the other shoulder saying 'do go'. Almost a literal angle/devil on the shoulder scene, much like the literal standing at the cross roads in Castaway.

I'm not saying she's this devious mastermind, but calling her stupid and shortsighted rings to me more of misogyny than it does an accurate telling of her character.

I disagree. I think she's been able to maneuver in the game previously with an unparalleled confidence because she knew if she failed her father would save her or her brother would kill anyone in her way. And for the most part they did. How much of her mess did Tywin clean up while he was Hand?

I'm going to watch it again tonight, probably twice (kept getting interrupted last night dealing with family issues)--when Ned and Robert are down in the catacombs, did we get the long shot of the endless rows of dead Stark lords with their Direwolves at their feet? If so, I totally missed it. LOVED that mental image from the book. I'm hoping we got that shot in the HBO version and that I just missed it the first time around. Anybody?

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the shot in Ned's chambers, where the camera focuses on Ned while Catelyn and Luwyn are arguing behind him about whether or not he should go to King's Landing, framed in such a way that they were quite literally the angel and the devil on the shoulder. Of course, this being not about good and evil, you're not really supposed to be sure which is the angel and which is the devil, or if that description at all applies. I thought it was a fantastic, wonderful quiet little shot.

This is the kind of post I was hoping to see more of in this thread. Little tidbits of things that I missed the first time, that I can watch out for tonight when I do a rewatch. Good stuff.

This is the kind of post I was hoping to see more of in this thread. Little tidbits of things that I missed the first time, that I can watch out for tonight when I do a rewatch. Good stuff.

Indeed. That, and the Unsullied, are things I will be looking out for on re-view. :)

Archived