Ramsay Bolton

gulogulo

What happened when Ramsay and Reek got captured/killed is briefly mentioned when Reek is first taken to Winterfell by ser Rodrick. Something horrific of sexual nature out in the open on lady Hornwoods grounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I just finished that chapter in the novel and came here to ask that same question. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by it.

Evidently Theon recognized Ramsey as Reek, but then he told him that weird story that just didn't add up despite me reading it thrice. Was he just messing around with Theon?

Anyway, I probably don't want to get spoiled too much if it's cleared up in the next book anyway.

EDIT: okay, the OP has finished reading Clash of Kings and that should suggest people who haven't finished it should stay away lest they spoil themselves, but since I basically summarized an entire plot arc of the book I'm gonna bury it all behind a big ol spoiler tag just to make sure my backside is covered :D. For Folks who have completed A Clash Of Kings Only:

Early in the book, in Bran's chapters prior to Theon's capture of Winterfell, he's holding court as Prince Bran and the northern lords who aren't out with Robb are discussing matters of business. Through these scenes we get second hand accounts of "The Bastard Of Bolton" and his henchman "Reek". The tales told are of The Bastard hunting "and not for deer" (i.e. he hunts people, women specifically as we will later learn). The final straw is when he kidnaps the widowed Lady Hornwood and forces her to marry him in front of a heart tree (making it legal under northern law and religion) so he can claim her lands. A posse is sent out to bring him in. In the process they supposedly kill him, capture Reek in the middle of doing something too graphic for POV Bran to truly understand (which lets us know its sexual in nature), and discover Lady Hornwood's body locked in a tower and missing its fingers; it is suggested (later confirmed by Ramsay) that she was deliberately being starved and so desperate for food she ate her own fingers. The girl they were hunting when cornered by the posse is not described; presumably she is a random, unfortunate, peasant girl, and not the first to meet this grisly fate.

All of this is mentioned in passing and seems like insignificant fluff or GRRM padding the page count. Turns out that's deliberate, so we'll be caught by surprise later. It certainly worked on me; I glossed over these parts of Bran's chapter the first time through and thus couldn't really figure out what was happening at the end either. :)

At the end of Theon's final chapter, we learn that Reek and Ramsay pulled a wardrobe switch back when they were captured/killed. Reek has been dead all this time and Ramsay has survived by masquerading as him, figuring -- correctly -- that the posse would take Reek alive but not give Ramsay that option, and that none of the people hunting him knew either Reek Or Ramsay well enough to catch the deception if they switched clothes. The "Reek" Theon relied on was Ramsay all along, which is why he knew how to read when someone "of his station" shouldn't have and why he was so certain he could rally the Dreadfort soldiers. In this reveal, Ramsay confirms that Lady Hornwood ate her fingers in captivity, that Reek was a necrophile -- "He liked to take his turn while they were still warm" -- and that Ramsay hunts human beings (specifically women). Ramsay realizes his force still has Theon over a barrel, starts playing hardball in negotiating, and when Theon balks at giving Kyra -- the girl he was sleeping with on Ned Stark's bed -- instead of the stablegirl Theon promised him as part of his "bribe" for raising defenders, Ramsay turns on Theon. He backhands Theon in the mouth, still wearing a heavy gauntlet. The impact breaks Theon's jaw and almost knocks him out. Theon eventually does fade from consciousness as the chapter ends, leaving us to wonder if he is alive or dead.

There is no mention or sign of him when Bran and Rickon emerge from and flee burning Winterfell at the end of A Clash Of Kings, and so we are left having to read the next book to find out what actually happened to Theon and what The Bastard Of Bolton is up to.

• 3 months later...

Archived