[BOOK SPOILERS] The Elephant in the Room

ZombieWife

BIG SPOILERS BELOW (from the books).

DO NOT READ if you are avoiding spoilers.

LAST CHANCE TO TURN BACK.

So, let's say the show gets a season 2. How do you think fans of the show (who do not read the books) are going to react to

Ned's death?

Do you think it might spell a dip in ratings for people who came on board expecting a whole lotta Sean Bean?

I'm sure that TPTB (The powers that be) have anticipated this and talked about it. I was curious about what the readers thought in regard to that twist and how that might translate to the series itself.

Will he do guest spots for flash back scenes?

Who will our new "star" be in season 2?

Dinklage?

Headey?

A relatively unknown who shines in season 1?

[Edited by Xray to make sure there are no spoilers in subhed, reformatted thread title, and hid the actual spoiler in hopes that it will keep it out of the thread preview box.]

I love Sean Bean, but I think you may be overrating his celebrity, at least in the US. He's still "that Lord of the Rings guy" to most people. I think they are relying heavily (as they should be) on Jaime, Tyrion, Jon and Dany to carry future seasons. There's still room to cast a bigger name star for a Martell part or a Greyjoy part down the road, or even someone like Stannis or Davos or Melisandre. Depends on how good the series does and what kind of budget they can set.

On a similar note, how do you think people will react when

They see Cersei and Jaime gettin it on... and then decide to throw Bran to his almost-death.

Any chance there would be a conservative backlash or anything like that? I mean, I've seen plenty of other HBO shows, but few really push the boundaries of "moral america" like that scene probably will.

Another way to look at it is that to cast Sean Bean as Ned is almost giving out a spoiler. He isn't exactly known to live all the way through the films he's in.

As for drawing power, I don't think it's a huge deal. He's not the biggest actor around and if the show is as good as we hope he's only needed to draw people in and the show's quality will keep people watching. True Blood doesn't have any acting giants either and it's been increasing it's numbers because it's something people like (although the lack of a big actor might have been a reason why it started slower).

Athelstane:

Please don't write spoilers for other shows. Some of us haven't watched SoA yet but plan to and people aren't going to be ready for spoilers for other things than GoT here.

I think the reaction will be positive. If they handle it right (and avoid critics etc. spoiling it) the impact on viewers should make it a very memorable TV moment. This could be one of the most talked about things on TV ever if the reaction they elicit is anything like the one from the books.

It may cause some viewers to stop watching (in the way i've seen people say friends etc. stopped the books at that point) but the talk it will generate among people who're new will probably offset that tenfold. Yes you're losing a major character but by that point i hope people are invested in the other characters and the story enough not to think it's the Ned Stark show. For me it was the point where the books went from great to immense. It's saying that the rulebook is out the window and no-one is safe. Other than OZ i can't think of any show that's even come close to that.

As to bigger name stars... Well do we really need them? While i wouldn't say no to James Purefoy or Mark Strong rolling up and being awesome hiring a movie actor seems a bit excessive as budget for the cast will surely be stretched given the numbers involved.

I think whoever becomes the "public face" of season 2 (as Sean Bean very much is for season 1) will be decided by the popularity of certain characters.

Arya and Tyrion as sure to be hugely popular. And Tyrion IMO carries a huge part of ACOK. So I think Peter Dinklage/Tyrion will be the #1 actor/character pushed by HBO in the build-up to (a hopeful) season 2.

Stannis - if a very well known actor is hired - could possibly be the "public face". But it would have to be a very well known actor.

While this might seem left-field from a Books perspective, Robb Stark could be put forward as a leading man for seasons 2 & 3. Other than Robb, Tyrion would be the logical choice. Jon and Dany are huge roles but seem too much like side quests at the moment while the bigger stories happen in the War of the Five Kings.

Eddard is definitely the kite that the story is initially tied to, but I can't imagine anybody being driven off by the finale. I'll never forget my reaction, which was an overwhelming "GIVE ME MORE, NOW!!!!!"

Arya and Tyrion's stories will have built up a very strong amount of momentum, and people will be eager to see them continue. I remember being in an absolute frenzy to follow Arya's path directly after that event. It's the point where Martin shows us that he has no intention of playing out the typical fairy tale story you may have thought he was. Who could turn away from that?

I'm interested in seeing non-book viwers reaction to this, simply because its such a huge twist. Even though there's no real 'stars' in the books because of the numerous points of view, Ned is very much set up as a main protagonist, and that's even more apparent in the TV series. I think the death of Ned will catch a lot of non-book viewers by surprise.

As to who will become the 'star' for season two - Tyrion could easily fall into that role, and I have a feeling Robb's role might be expanded. i think having non points of view in the TV series will really help Robb to have a much more expansive role.

Stannis is another possability, but I don't think he's all that likeable. He's hard to get behind as a protagonist. Or at least in my opinion, he is.

I guess time will tell though, and I'm sure TPTB have a plan in store for when Ned dies.

Kind of related, but I think visually seeing Ned's fate on screen is going to be really hard for book fans. I was saddened by his death, but not crushed like some people I know were. However, the combination of it being Sean Bean, and how fatherly Ned seems in the show, is going to make it very difficult for me to watch. :(

I'm interested in seeing non-book viwers reaction to this, simply because its such a huge twist. Even though there's no Stannis is another possability, but I don't think he's all that likeable. He's hard to get behind as a protagonist. Or at least in my opinion, he is.

I love Stannis but he would be a terrible protagonist. The guy has all the charm of a hangman which is perversely sort of charming. But not as a protagonist.

Stannis - if a very well known actor is hired - could possibly be the "public face". But it would have to be a very well known actor.

I agree that a strong actor and role for Stannis would be important for season 2 even if Robb's role is expanded and Peter Dinklage is fantastic as Tyrion.

I think Ned's death will lure people into the series more. By that point people will start to like the characters and then they suffer through their first (of many) character deaths. And like with the books, it will be the hook that keeps the viewers around.

As for who the star will be of Season 2, I think it will be Peter Dinklage or Kit Harrington. They both have major storylines and I think Tyrion is the "star" of aCoK anyway.

IMDb isn't infallible, and credits him with 2 episodes. I broke it down in another post, but there's no way they can cover even all of the Ned scenes we've seen in trailers and teasers in this episode and the next one (since we've now seen him in 'next week on'). That's even leaving aside his grand exit.

Archived