[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] What was left out and what was left in.

Bishop437

That scene was added but i think at least some of the dialogue was taken from the scene in the tower that Bran overhears just before his fall.

I admit i was unsold on her as Cersei: her features are too masculine for the soft looking Cersei and she always projects a confidence which is at odds to the book description of her looking vulnerable. In short i think she looks too much like cersei would like to be (well without the cock). That said i liked what i've seen and although it'll be different i've got no qualms about her beauty. She is an absolutely stunning woman.

I found the episode very well done. Bran was not as adept and graceful at climbing as the books described but a real little kid did the best he could I suppose.

Also, the Dothraki wedding seemed very toned down and almost silly with just a couple people tussling. I imagine the recasting of Daenerys severely messed up the budget of this scene -- I heard it had to be redone on a lesser scale -- but I could be mistaken.

we don't know that, I am sure we didn't see everyone at the feast. He wasn't pointed out as being there in the books either, until he told Jon about it, so I wouldn't use that as an example of something left out.

Sure, but it still would have been cool to see a glimpse of someone who may have been Rayder. And I don't know if GRRM even knew if Rayder was there when he wrote the feast scene (or rather if GRRM had yet decided that he was there when he wrote the scene).

The "Things I do for love" scene was good, but didnt feel quite right. Jaime seemed happy to throw Bran off, like it was nothing. Whereas in the book he says it with revulsion when he looks at Cersei, setting up the love/hate relationship we now know it really is, and also paving the way for the character development we see in book three. I realise that this is easier to show in a book than on TV, but still, could have been better.

Other than that, agree with a lot of what has already been said, tyrions whores and danys rape, change the tone slightly. There is no real showing yet of what Tyrion really is.

I thought that Bran's fall scene was set up pretty good. It showed that Jaime was clearly reluctant to throw out Bran while Cercei shrilly demanded that he kill him. Although when he did push Bran off, it showed off his ruthlessness and arrogance (this is the man that Ned found lounging on Iron Throne with murdered Aeris lying next to him).

I disliked the "whores" scene the moment I saw it, though it was certainly amusing and rather vivid. I can't seem to put my finger on precisely why I dislike it, it just feels out-of-character for Jaime (even if he did hire Tyssha for Tyrion -- or did he?), and anyway, where exactly were they?

I thought it was a good scene too. It the novels Tyrion was always self-depreciating, proclaiming his ugliness and whoring activitess loudly with certain dark humor. This establishes him as sort of sarcastic character. Besides, I am not sure why is everyone is claiming that he is not ugly enough, in the books he is described as being a dwarf =ugly, his wounds that ruin his face and make him truly ugly don't happen till end of next book.

Very, very nice overall. Even with all the nudity, I still think that there was more in the book (ie. Catelyn).

I kind of wish that Catelyn was still the one that convinces Eddard to go south.

Also, I'm really disappointed that Drogo wasn't gentle and kind with Dany.

http://asoiaf.ovrnit...thrones-s01e01/

I am not sure that Drogo raped her at the end, the scene closed out with her collapsing on her knees.

Anyhow, its pretty much impossible to be extremely faithful to the book and movie to tv series because the show will suffer for it in quality and pace. While book fans will probably love it, new viewers will not. This is probably as faithful as one can get with TV or movies.

The one thing that really bothered me about the episode is that the Targaryens don't have violet eyes. Contacts or digital colouring are both really easy to do, and IMHO it's important to establish that the Targaryens were always *foreign* conquerors to Westeros. Fire and blood, yo.

The one thing that really bothered me about the episode is that the Targaryens don't have violet eyes. Contacts or digital colouring are both really easy to do, and IMHO it's important to establish that the Targaryens were always *foreign* conquerors to Westeros. Fire and blood, yo.

From all accounts, they did try both, and it just didn't work. Alas.

From all accounts, they did try both, and it just didn't work. Alas.

Personally, I'm glad it didn't work. They look different/fantastic enough with those wigs, IMO. And if R+L=J, then the last thing we need is an even bigger physical difference between D and J.

And they may change a lot of things - Shae may or may not make an appearance. I know for sure (talking with George in Minneapolis last year during "Days of Ice and Fire") that Chataya will not be in the show; and hence, maybe not Alayaya, later on.

How was it known if David and Dan would put Chataya in season 2? They just greenlit season 2 yesterday. Has the season 2 script already been written?

How was it known if David and Dan would put Chataya in season 2? They just greenlit season 2 yesterday. Has the season 2 script already been written?

Before commissioning the show, a lot of stuff concerning the later seasons would need to be discussed to ensure the series as a whole would be viable. They couldnt just do season one, then realise Clash of Kings or Storm of Swords was unfilmable. I'm guessing GRRM would also have to assure them that, assuming the show continues to be successful, the series will be finished or at least plotted enough, by the time the series catches up with it. I'm guessing seasons 4 and 5 will be a mixture of AFfC and ADwD since both happen at the same time.

As to the episode, I liked it. Must be confusing for new viewers, hopefully they will stick with it. The Tyrion scene with the whores was a bit 'off'. I didnt think there were any brothels near Winterfell. If they hadn't mentioned a brothel specifically, I'd have assumed the prostitutes were camp followers who had joined the entourage since it left Kings Landing.

Some of the nudity did seem a bit unnecessary albeit still less than the book. A bit awkward since I recommended this show to many people, including my mother.

The wedding; I'm guessing Dany riding on the horse would have taken up too much time, and wouldnt necessarily have made the point visually it made in the book, i.e Dany being unafraid for the first time. For all the viewers would know, she was prone to recklessness. Her saying "yes" without the benefit of the point of view text we got in the book might have made her seem to be adapting too well to her new situation. We know from the book that she continued to find the sex with Drogo uncomfortable. I'm guessing the Yes moment will be merged with the scene in the book where they do it 'missionary'.

Re comments that Cersai doesnt seem manipulative or 'evil' enough, bear in mind that's only from the character points of view. The points of view make her seem to be much crafty and experienced at intrigue than she actually is.

Actors: Arya really stood out, the little slouch she did when Sansa got praised for her embroidery was so Arya-like. Tyrion seemed okay, though we saw so little of him. Viserys seemed spot on.

Very, very nice overall. Even with all the nudity, I still think that there was more in the book (ie. Catelyn).

Probably a push overall. The GF was disappointed that Sean didn't flash more skin (during the bedroom scene I told her, "If you're going to see it, it'll be now.")

Well, some things work better on page than screen. Remember, they're supposed to have silver hair as well. I think the bleach blonde works better.

Probably a push overall. The GF was disappointed that Sean didn't flash more skin (during the bedroom scene I told her, "If you're going to see it, it'll be now.")

Well, some things work better on page than screen. Remember, they're supposed to have silver hair as well. I think the bleach blonde works better.

I think they tried but it looked too fake instead of just being "foreign exotic"

Am I the only one who thinks the scene with Dany and Drogo came off wrong? In the book, she ends up wanting him but they really make it seem like he forced himself on her.....totally random, I hope the show ends exactly as the book is written because that's the best book ending I've ever read....

You're not the only once Cuse. The Mrs (who introduced me to the books) found it disturbing enough that she left the room.

lollll...my dad, who hasn't read the book, actually argued with me saying "she did want to do it" and I'm like "what scene did you watch? because he clearly pushed her hands down".....maybe the next episode will start where that scene left off, I dunno...but I have to teach myself that it's an ADAPTATION, and while I'm currently reading these books and forming my own mental pictures, I can't push away the TV enjoyment because it's slightly different.....

Archived