[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] What was left out and what was left in.

Bishop437

Guys I suggest you stop watching the show right now because the preview for the next episode includes another made up scene not in the books. Too bad, so sad. :crying:

Is this your first time seeing a film adaptation of a novel?

Don't be an ass n00b. Most have read the novels several times and watch HBO... Some borders here actually work in the film industry... We do get it, the show is based on the novels. Doesn't mean a person can't be critical while still enjoying it.

1. The changes to the prologue

... I also think they introduced the Wall too early. it's going to take some of the impact out of it when Jon and Tyrion first arrive and see it for the first time.

I agree with this. It's such a great moment in the book when we first see the wall with Jon. If they do it right it could still work, however.

4. The Haircut scene.

8. Tyrion's Introduction.

Honestly, why [were these] scene in the show?

It's often stated that it is difficult to adapt the text into the time available. That said it seems odd to insert scenes that, to my mind, have little apparent purpose.

6. The crypt scene.

... Again, they seemed to be changed needlessly.

I actually thought they handled the scene pretty well. As you say though, it could have that much better.

9. Lack of Direwolves

The Direwolves play such a huge roll in the books, and here they are completely marginalized. Especially concerning Jon Snow and Ghost.

I think I read somewhere that they had some trouble training them. Definately would have been good to see Ghost more though.

10. Jon Snow's scene during the feast

... The lines about Tyrion's birth killing his mother and Jon never knowing his mother were [very] important, and yet nowhere to be heard.

These sould have included, I'm sure they could have found some time to add a couple of lines.

12. The things I do for love...

I was very worried beforehand how that would be delivered but I actually liked it quite alot. He, unfortunately, didn't say it with loathing but it could have been much worse, so I'm happy.

Could they not have cut out the wasteful haircut scene...

I have a feeling* the haircut scene was put in when they had to reshoot the pilot. Kit Harringtin's hair was short during the first filming, longer for the re-shoot. So, the whole reason for that scene could've been due to a continuity issue with his hair :shocked: ... Sadly, there could've been another (better? more important?) scene in it's place if they hadn't had this issue. I'm not saying the acting or dialog wasn't good or interesting- they were, but it just looked thrown in.

*this is only my theory as to why this scene happened.

I am in the camp that says, "hey, this is establishing Tyrion's character, because until he hooks up with Shae, we have only *heard* that he frequents whores." As viewers, we need to be shown, not told.

Shae has been cast, can't remember the actress but wiki has a Shae in the cast list.

Re Dany's bath scene, I'd have liked a line stating she liked the heat. With that gone, it just looked like she was maybe self-harming.

I liked Ned's interaction with Jaime, about how he doesn't fight in tourneys because when he fights a man, he doesnt want him to know what he can do. Of course, I'd have liked it better if I didn't know how the final Ned/Jaime confrontation goes.

I liekd the scene where Jaime pushes Bran. It could have been done differently but I think it captured Jaime's impetuousness. To have emphasised the loathing, it might have made Jaimie a bit too sympathetic at this point.

I rewatched it last night and found myself liking Tyrion's performance even more. Sansa seems way too tall for 13. She's almost as tall as Ned. Though Cersai does comment on it.

Out of curiosity, have all the children been aged up by 2 years? They seem to have changed Robert's crowning from 15 years ago in the books to 17 years. I can't remember how old Sansa was in the books at the start, 11 or 12 I think.

I liked the opening credits, it's a good way of making the new viewers familiar with the basic geography of Westeros.

The scene at the barbershop was done because they wanted to portray a sense of the boys being boys (they grew up together) and give the females something to see (eye candy). You will see that this scene is a way of making their goodbyes in episode 2 translate into a warmer feeling for the non-reader audience.

I think I read somewhere that they had some trouble training them. Definately would have been good to see Ghost more though.

I think they had twelve weeks to train them, and these weren't acting dogs that already have a lot of training.

I liekd the scene where Jaime pushes Bran. It could have been done differently but I think it captured Jaime's impetuousness. To have emphasised the loathing, it might have made Jaimie a bit too sympathetic at this point.

Everyone I know who is a non-reader was absolutely shocked by that scene, so it seems to have worked.

Everyone I know who is a non-reader was absolutely shocked by that scene, so it seems to have worked.

Same here. At least three non-readers I know watched the show (some on their own, some because I held a gun to their head) and all of them called me shocked the next day about 1) A brother and sister having sex and 2) Jaime pushing the kid out the window.

Everyone assumes he died, too.

If only.

Same here. At least three non-readers I know watched the show (some on their own, some because I held a gun to their head) and all of them called me shocked the next day about 1) A brother and sister having sex and 2) Jaime pushing the kid out the window.

Everyone assumes he died, too.

If only.

I have wondered: did Bran survive because part of him was already joined with Summer? Or was it the three-eyed crow that met Bran in the "warg universe" and guided him back? Or perhaps a combination of both. Maybe Bran was flailing aimlessly in wargland while in a coma (like an infant since he was new to it) and the three-eyed crow noticed him and recognized his gift.

I have wondered: did Bran survive because part of him was already joined with Summer? Or was it the three-eyed crow that met Bran in the "warg universe" and guided him back? Or perhaps a combination of both. Maybe Bran was flailing aimlessly in wargland while in a coma (like an infant since he was new to it) and the three-eyed crow noticed him and recognized his gift.

The crow seemed focused on opening Bran's third eye. I'm not clear on whether/how that helped him out of the coma.

As far as the White Walkers and them not being white, I disagree. They are described as having chalk white skin. They very well could have. It was dark and there were shadows abound. Here's a pic from the show. In the light, they definately could be white.

http://images.wikia.com/gameofthrones/images/c/cb/White_Walker.jpg

Possibly, but the trick is that people are talking about "White Walkers" and these didn't look white. Add the wights in, and you get some confused viewers.

As far as the White Walkers and them not being white, I disagree. They are described as having chalk white skin. They very well could have. It was dark and there were shadows abound. Here's a pic from the show. In the light, they definately could be white.

http://images.wikia.com/gameofthrones/images/c/cb/White_Walker.jpg

Nope. There's no way those things were white in the show. I've watched that scene dozens of times, and they all appear to be dark brown.

I have a feeling* the haircut scene was put in when they had to reshoot the pilot. Kit Harringtin's hair was short during the first filming, longer for the re-shoot. So, the whole reason for that scene could've been due to a continuity issue with his hair :shocked: ... Sadly, there could've been another (better? more important?) scene in it's place if they hadn't had this issue. I'm not saying the acting or dialog wasn't good or interesting- they were, but it just looked thrown in.

*this is only my theory as to why this scene happened.

I guess that makes sense, but honestly, his hair looked *exactly* the same after he had it cut, lol. I don't think anyone would have noticed how short it was.

He also "shaved" for the king's arrival & feast, even though he ended up not attending. (Robb too, and presumably Theon, though I don't remember T having as much stubble beforehand.) I would have said that would be more obvious, but people aren't mentioning it, so I'm not so sure now. :lol:

Slick - I think she is tall for 13, but I'm pretty sure she was actually 13 while filming, too. Maybe 14 by the time it was finished, but close enough. Just one of the lucky tall types!

Aoife, I get the impression that Jon was told at the last minute that he wasn't invited, which is why he's beating the crap out of the dummy in the yard - he's pissed. It also helps him along the road to wanting to leave without spending the time showing the constant subtle snubbing he gets from Cat. I think what we're getting is another important plot point that needed trimming for time's sake.

I wonder if we'll get the "It should have been you" line, or if they'll 86 that one. I almost hope they do - it seemed (to me) unnatural and wrong, somehow. I never though that, even in her grief, Cat would be that vicious. It's more of a Cersei thing to say.

Yes, that's also the impression I got. Or at least it wasn't made clear to him that he was not included when Cat (was that explicit? I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure there's some reference to the command coming from her) told "the boys" to go see Tommy and get cleaned up. I was just pointing out another reason for the Tommy scene at all - it's not just hair length that had changed and needed to be explained, but also going from neo-beard/stubble to clean-shaven.

I have a feeling they'll keep that line in, but I hope they build up to just how grief-stricken and irrational Cat is at that point. If the "I think you should leave now"/ "I want you to leave now" line really is from Cat to Cersei, that may help -- Cat has gone from acknowledging Cersei's rank (courtyard greeting) and making attempts at polite conversation (feast scene) to anger and virtual commands to her queen. Not something that I think "regular Cat" would have done.

I wonder if we'll get the "It should have been you" line, or if they'll 86 that one. I almost hope they do - it seemed (to me) unnatural and wrong, somehow. I never though that, even in her grief, Cat would be that vicious. It's more of a Cersei thing to say.

Well, in the books, Cat is devasted and almost completely out of her mind when Bran fell - a proper context for that line. The one scene from the Ep2 preview it looks like the TV Cat is much less fragile, she seemed very clear of mind and rational in the "Bran was pushed and the Lannisters did it" shot. If they smoothed out the emotional curve for Cat, I think they have to cut or change that line ...

Well, in the books, Cat is devasted and almost completely out of her mind when Bran fell - a proper context for that line. The one scene from the Ep2 preview it looks like the TV Cat is much less fragile, she seemed very clear of mind and rational in the "Bran was pushed and the Lannisters did it" shot. If they smoothed out the emotional curve for Cat, I think they have to cut or change that line ...

I agree wholeheartedly - and I think it's also a chance to iron out a character flaw that seemed very out of place for someone who was always proud of "doing her duty" and "being good at waiting".

Cat's "should have been you" comment always stuck out as wrong note to me - as did the whole idea of stunted, waddling, crampy Tyrion doing a backflip somersault off of a roof. Poor guy can't even walk right half the time thanks to aches and pains, and we're supposed to think he can be an acrobat on impulse?

Archived