[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] What was left out and what was left in.

Bishop437

The way that the comsummation scene between Drogo and Daenerys appeared to me to be rather different from the books. The scene from the book makes Drogo seem much more tender towards Dany than he appeared in the first episode. He did say "no" just like he did in the book but Dany was still crying as the scene was ending. Also, the way he (gently, I guess?) pushed her down at the end seemed to me to be going in a different direction than the tenderness he seemed to be showing her just moments earlier. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this scene.

On the other hand, she's about to have sex with a frightening Dothraki horselord, so the way that scene was played definitely made sense.

The way that the comsummation scene between Drogo and Daenerys appeared to me to be rather different from the books. The scene from the book makes Drogo seem much more tender towards Dany than he appeared in the first episode. He did say "no" just like he did in the book but Dany was still crying as the scene was ending. Also, the way he (gently, I guess?) pushed her down at the end seemed to me to be going in a different direction than the tenderness he seemed to be showing her just moments earlier. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this scene.

On the other hand, she's about to have sex with a frightening Dothraki horselord, so the way that scene was played definitely made sense.

There's a whole thread dedicated to this topic: Click here.

Personally, I think that the creators of the tv show are planning to keep Ned in until the 6-7th episode. Especially since Sean Bean was one of the big draws to the show, so I think that they wouldn;t want to kill him too early as they might be afraid that it would affect ratings to kill one of the most important and likeable characters in the series. My guess is they want to give the audience time to grow to know and care about Ned before they kill him. At the same time, I don't think that he is going to die at the very end because then the flow to the rest of the story will be all messed up and they will have to rush to catch up with the stuff that happens in the story after Ned's death. \

And that would piss people off more than if they killed him too early.

Personally, I think that the creators of the tv show are planning to keep Ned in until the 6-7th episode. Especially since Sean Bean was one of the big draws to the show, so I think that they wouldn;t want to kill him too early as they might be afraid that it would affect ratings to kill one of the most important and likeable characters in the series. My guess is they want to give the audience time to grow to know and care about Ned before they kill him. At the same time, I don't think that he is going to die at the very end because then the flow to the rest of the story will be all messed up and they will have to rush to catch up with the stuff that happens in the story after Ned's death. \

And that would piss people off more than if they killed him too early.

From what I could see in WIKI its either episode 7 or 8 (Eps titles are pretty good give-away), most likely its end of 7th/start of 8th. Frankly, if it was me, I would have kept him till end of 8th and finished the eps with his death. I reviewed GoT book again, and while it is a lot of pages, not that much happens afterward to most characters. I think there is only 1 POV for each character to wrap up loose ends except for Dany. 2 whole episodes should have been enough to wrap it up.

I don't know if this was discussed before but I was doing a first time ever re-read and I am disappointed how the conversation between Ben-Jen and Jon took place on HBO. The conversation in the book was great and it does not make any sense that Jon is completely left out of the feast. He doesn't necessarily need to end up crying since he has been aged up, but the scene in the book was very good and the scene on HBO was pretty meaningless.

Also, more than anything else, I hope we get to see Rhaegar in flashback!

This wont happen until season 2 in the house of the undying. I don't think they plan on using flashbacks. And since Dany actually "sees" Rhaegar through the doorway I'm sure we will see him as well. Then again ... Mabey not....

I don't know if it really counts as being "left out," but did anyone else think Robb, Jon, and Theon's lack of chest hair was a little off? I know it's strange, but it kind of struck me (like smooth-chested Chris Evans in the upcoming Captain America flick) as a modern aesthetic being rear-projected. The North needs hairy manly men! And not just the Umbers!

• 3 months later...
Robb snapping at Theon which seems to put them at odds earlier and also the way it hinted toward Theon's loyalty being more to Ned. Made them seem less brotherly.

No. MORE brotherly. They were only in a romantic relationship in slashfiction.

Theon snaps at Robb earlier on when they've found the direwolves, & Theon responds like an older brother (foster-brother, & hostage, who is at least 4 years older than Robb) would, that he doesnt take orders from him, just his dad.

• 4 weeks later...

In the beginning episode, where Ser Waymar Royce encounters the Others he does so during the day, in the books it was at night since the Others can't come out during the day, even Old Nan later in the series says that, how are they going to cover up that gaping hole. Plus, the younger ranger Will was the one with Royce not Garrett. The Others in the books were more akin to ghosts and shades, while the show showed them as brown humanoids. They cut out the scene where Royce duels with one of them in the night, and his blade shatters and he dies.

Like many, many others I started reading the books right after episode 10 (started with ACoK) and have not been back to read over AGoT. I think, primarily, because like someone said above about things being lost in the transition between media. Even though I am 200 pages or so into AFfC I still go back and watch episodes from season 1 and catch something new everytime and, it helps solifify what I've read in CoK and SoS. It sounds like they've done a tremendous job in the transition. Ever since the LoTR film adaptation I've tried to keep in mind that it is inevitable some changes will occur and while annoying, may not change the overall plots. I wonder if I have mad a mistake now and will I be annoyed when season two starts next April.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in the scene where we first see Tyrion his eyes fit the description in the book, one black (brown contact in his right eye) and one blue (should be green but i'm not gonna complain about that). The next scene we see Tyrion, his eyes are both a stunning blue (watch at about time code 42:39). The producers had the coloring of his eyes right, but they changed them after only a small number of scenes in the whore house (time code 30:25 or so)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived