High Valyrian

lynxx

• 2 weeks later...

Missandei cast.

This has a very interesting implication.

In Storm of Swords she serves as the translator for Daenerys , who is faking not being able to speak Valyrian.

The Slavers are speaking Valyrian and Missandei is translating into the Common Tongue.

Hard to see how they could change Nathalie Emmanuel role in this, at least I hope not.

Means Emilia Clarke is now going to have speak yet another language, the Valyrian mother tongue.

As weird as a post as this is, I really would like to learn Valyrian. I wish the people who make the languages would make the whollllle language and then put it in a dictionary. I vote we all learn it and then have conversations in it, and make everyone else around us nervous. It'd be great

You are not the only one. Ever since we get introduced to the word "dracarys", I loved the sound of it. The way it just rolls off the tongue and ever since wanted to learn Valyrian if it was ever fully made.

• 2 weeks later...

Missandei cast.

This has a very interesting implication.

In Storm of Swords she serves as the translator for Daenerys , who is faking not being able to speak Valyrian.

The Slavers are speaking Valyrian and Missandei is translating into the Common Tongue.

Hard to see how they could change Nathalie Emmanuel role in this, at least I hope not.

Means Emilia Clarke is now going to have speak yet another language, the Valyrian mother tongue.

Or they could just have her be a servant to replace Irri. Although it makes little sense to replace Irri with Missandei if you're not going to introduce Valyrian into the world. It would seriously tick me off if they don't have it. Like not watching season 3 tick me off.

Or at least it would take me awhile to get myself to watch it eventually.

I think what could make the reveal even better is not to alert the viewer of her knowledge of Valyrian until she takes Astapor. Until then they can be in the same boat as the Astapori in believing that she needs a translator.

• 2 weeks later...

The conlanger who created Dothraki is reportedly "very busy in preparation for season 3." That could mean that he's just busy writing more Dothraki lines, BUT I live in hope that it means he's busy creating Valyrian!

There wouldn't be very much Dothraki in the third season would there? Not now that Rakharo and Irri are dead? So maybe some Valyrian and even Ghiscari are on the cards?

He's working under fairly strict secrecy rules, as HBO reserve the right to later possibly sell dictionaries etc as a fan merch tie-in (as did Paramount with the Teach Yourself Klingon books).

The conlanger who created Dothraki is reportedly "very busy in preparation for season 3." That could mean that he's just busy writing more Dothraki lines, BUT I live in hope that it means he's busy creating Valyrian!

There wouldn't be very much Dothraki in the third season would there? Not now that Rakharo and Irri are dead? So maybe some Valyrian and even Ghiscari are on the cards?

He's working under fairly strict secrecy rules, as HBO reserve the right to later possibly sell dictionaries etc as a fan merch tie-in (as did Paramount with the Teach Yourself Klingon books).

The secrecy has to do with not revealing things about season 3 which is a general rule they have for each season. As for dictionaries, they are already shopping the idea (of a Dothraki dictionary) around to various publishers but so far no publisher has been interested in the idea so it seems it won't happen. This desire has not stopped David from releaving lots of info on the language or stopped us from creating a wiki for the langauge.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, i just want to hear a few more words. I want to hear if Valyrian has the same smooth-on-tongue-yet-hard-intonations that Dothraki has. A few inserted phrases wouldn't be so bad. Maybe they could add, "words are wind". Looking forward to that Unsullied haggling.

Since we are going to get High Valyrian now, I remember when reading and knowing that Dany was a Valyrian aristocrat , thinking that maybe there was not only Valyrian (and it's various dialects)... what if there was also Court High Valyrian? (thinking of Japanese Imperial Court language)..

Viserys may have known it and taught her. Alas she would have no one to talk too... tho , we don't know for sure there my be such characters.

Ah well that would have been a awfully fine refinement for George to have make.

• 2 months later...

For High Valyrian fans.

I have to do this from memory.

I watched that video enough times (the one that has been removed , not authorized me thinks)...and I finally realized , and from other sources on the Web, that we can hear Dany speaking to the , I guess those are the Unsullied troops.

It's hard to hear, but she is not speaking Dothraki.

Even tho it's almost impossible to make out, methinks that is our first long visit with High Valyrian.

(We have a few others words, in S1 and S2 as has been noted.)

I hope so, cheers!

As weird as a post as this is, I really would like to learn Valyrian. I wish the people who make the languages would make the whollllle language and then put it in a dictionary. I vote we all learn it and then have conversations in it, and make everyone else around us nervous. It'd be great

Yes yes yes!

For High Valyrian fans.

I have to do this from memory.

I watched that video enough times (the one that has been removed , not authorized me thinks)...and I finally realized , and from other sources on the Web, that we can hear Dany speaking to the , I guess those are the Unsullied troops.

It's hard to hear, but she is not speaking Dothraki.

Even tho it's almost impossible to make out, methinks that is our first long visit with High Valyrian.

(We have a few others words, in S1 and S2 as has been noted.)

I hope so, cheers!

OMG, here it is... THAT is what VALYRIAN sounds like!!! Once the cat was out of the bag it was pretty impossible that it wouldn't be reposted somewhere. In this case, it's been reposted by at least two ppl. At the end you can hear the "Mhysa" chants.

!

It first apparently leaked on the 2nd and was discussed ad nauseum on winteriscoming.net. It's an Italian-sounding language at first sound. I'm sooo happy to hear this! And I've downloaded the video before it's taken down again.

Here goes:

(unintelligible)...ic tarizzia. Qui tu tu viccaemac daivrri taepac.

Etrruc javan constas nui vale maenys (maellic?). Etrruc javan.

Intari loivalle taepac.

Uni siti vidi villac! Intari valotys!

Can anyone who's studied linguistics or languages, based off of the words that we know from the language, make a better educated guess than I'm making?

Here goes:

(unintelligible)...ic tarizzia. Qui tu tu viccaemac daivrri taepac.

Etrruc javan constas nui vale maenys (maellic?). Etrruc javan.

Intari loivalle taepac.

Uni siti vidi villac! Intari valotys!

Can anyone who's studied linguistics or languages, based off of the words that we know from the language, make a better educated guess than I'm making?

That's a lot more than I could make out, in fact I could hear individual words but that's about all.

Was hoping some of the LCS people would chime in here since this is their sort of thing.

I wonder how David J. Peterson configured it for Emilia?

Valyrian would be her 'puppy language', so actually she should speak it even better than Missandei. I am figuring creating one more language is hard enough and the various bastard versions will not be created.

I wonder how David J. Peterson configured it for Emilia?

Valyrian would be her 'puppy language', so actually she should speak it even better than Missandei. I am figuring creating one more language is hard enough and the various bastard versions will not be created.

I'm pretty sure David J. Peterson does stuff like this for fun. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had Valyrian partially done before he even knew they'd need it. It's gotta be difficult, but enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure David J. Peterson does stuff like this for fun. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had Valyrian partially done before he even knew they'd need it. It's gotta be difficult, but enjoyable.

I think David Peterson is one of the most interesting people connected with the show... and yes , I think he said, he had already started constructing Valyrian* ... but me thinks he also has to pay the rent.

*Seems like some of the LCS people were working with him on it too, just as a hobby.

• 1 month later...

Archived