[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion, Mark II

Yeah only he looked more like a six year old than a three year old. You see him laughing at Bran when the Stark kids are introduced and I think he is present when the King rides in...but I wasn't looking for him so I could be wrong on that account.

Rickon was aged in the show from 3 to 6, Bran from 7 to 10, and so on with the other Stark children.

Rickon was aged in the show from 3 to 6, Bran from 7 to 10, and so on with the other Stark children.

I know I was just making sure people knew the the little kid was Rickon and not to be looking for a toddler ;)

Yeah only he looked more like a six year old than a three year old. You see him laughing at Bran when the Stark kids are introduced and I think he is present when the King rides in...but I wasn't looking for him so I could be wrong on that account.

He's been aged up along with the other Stark kids.

And yes, he was in the scene where the family met Robert - standing next to his mother. Robert mussed his hair after greeting Cat.

Finally managed to watch it and I really like it. Perhaps a bit to much for 1 episode but overall I enjoyed it. I think the pacing is something that is going to be difficult to deal with, trying to get through the whole book in 10 episodes.

The only thing I didn't like was Viserys. Not that he was bad, but that he was completely different in personality to what I expected. I think I expected him to be louder and shoutier. like a spoiled child, rather than the quiet, subtle cruelty he showed in the programme. A minor complaint out of what was overall a brilliant episode

Here's a question I don't remember from the books. Robert puts a feather on Lyanna's hand. Why? What is the significance?

Because it was some other guy who would have known that she would have preferred a blue rose?

/kidding, sort of

Seriously, though, they did make it a point to show us this clearly in that gloomy place. It's nice to know that the show may be setting up a little mystery that we aren't all-knowing about in advance.

And yes, he was in the scene where the family met Robert - standing next to his mother. Robert mussed his hair after greeting Cat.

Oh yeah that's right. I wonder if that little actor will be able to do angry and feral.

Was Sansa aged up too? Wasn't she 12 or 13 in the book.

Joffrey looks really young.

She was 11. She is 13 in the series. All the kids get 2 or 3 years. I imagine if GRRM were to write AGoT again, which he will not, he would have had all the kids at those ages.

The only thing I didn't like was Viserys. Not that he was bad, but that he was completely different in personality to what I expected. I think I expected him to be louder and shoutier. like a spoiled child, rather than the quiet, subtle cruelty he showed in the programme. A minor complaint out of what was overall a brilliant episode

This was something I actually thought he did better. That and Cersei. Both characters were really mwahaha villains in the book, but Viserys in the show is far more subtle and interesting, and Cersei is actually charismatic and clever in some ways. I love her interacting with Sansa and how genuine it sounds when she says to make something for her; that was perfect and played Sansa perfectly.

With Viserys it's even better. He's petulant and cruel, but he ultimately is about getting back home. It's not just that he's this whiny spoiled guy. He does have a plan, and he's going to go through anything to get there. His quiet, ruthless cruelty towards his sister is a lot more compelling to me than him beating her up.

Was Sansa aged up too? Wasn't she 12 or 13 in the book.

Joffrey looks really young.

She's 13 in the TV series, because that's what she tells Cersei when asked. I don't think they could age her up too much anyway, because she has to be pre-menstrual.

Because I can't stop rewatching...

A number of people earlier commented on how the king's party only had Lannister banners when they rode in, and how it seemed out of place. Right after Arya jumps up on the cart, there's a shot of the riders coming right-to-left. The first two riders clearly have Baratheon banners. It goes by very quickly; there's a cut to the middle of the group and the camera then lingers on the Lannister banners before moving on to Joffrey and the Hound.

Beyond that, there's a few moments where the Baratheon banners are flapping in the background behind Ned and Robert, but they definitely seem under emphasized.

I'll need to watch a 3rd time because I never saw them and the second time I was specifically looking for them.

Yes - Bran is 10, Sansa 13, Dany 17-18(ish), Arya's presumably 11 or 12. Robb and Jon are both of age as well.

Joff looks young but is probably Sansa's age in the show.

I'm kinda happy they aged them up. Sansa and Robb/Jon were fine, but Arya and Bran were way too young for me to buy into what they did in AGOT, and it continually bugged me.

She was 11. She is 13 in the series. All the kids get 2 or 3 years. I imagine if GRRM were to write AGoT again, which he will not, he would have had all the kids at those ages.

From the FAQ entry covering the intended 5-year gap after Storm of Swords:

What he has now determined is that the events he planned to happen after the five year gap will largely still take place as planned, but will be happening without having to cover those proposed five years. This does mean that some characters will be doing things at an earlier age than he supposed (meaning the children—Bran, Arya, and Sansa—in particular), but it’s an unavoidable problem. He has previously remarked that in hindsight, he should have made the children two or three years older so as to avoid that problem.

This was something I actually thought he did better. That and Cersei. Both characters were really mwahaha villains in the book, but Viserys in the show is far more subtle and interesting, and Cersei is actually charismatic and clever in some ways. I love her interacting with Sansa and how genuine it sounds when she says to make something for her; that was perfect and played Sansa perfectly.

With Viserys it's even better. He's petulant and cruel, but he ultimately is about getting back home. It's not just that he's this whiny spoiled guy. He does have a plan, and he's going to go through anything to get there. His quiet, ruthless cruelty towards his sister is a lot more compelling to me than him beating her up.

I completely agree. If they could give Viserys a bigger role in a way that still fits the plot, I'd be all for it. Maybe some flashbacks of Dany thinking about her old home in Bravos(?)--the one with the red door.

Archived