[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion, Mark II

At the time of Lady's death that's about right.

Guess you missed all the 'fresh rushes' talk.

They didn't in the book. It was an adaptation for the show, and the primary reason was so that you could have the big 'reveal' of it being Cersei that Jaime's fucking.

Maybe we need to categorize in a thread and then sticky it about things people keep bringing up which have already been explained/defended/covered. If only I had the motivation to do it myself...

I just rewatched the ep for the third time. I liked it way better and there were some awesome details I didn't notice at first. For example, when the Others are chasing our two rangers in the woods, the whole time you can hear the sound of ice cracking and popping (not that I imagine the Others would be carrying on a conversation, but associating the ice cracking with them at the start was a neat detail). Also, I loved that the Silent Sisters had halos made of the seven-sided star, and their incense burners were in the shape of the seven sided star, too. Coolness.

And this time I finally saw the Unsullied everyone's been talking about.

The 'what' talk?

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but rushes are a particular type of straw that medieval castles used to put on dirt floors for people to sleep on (most didn't have their own beds) to keep from getting too dirty; they also act as a primitive form of insulation. They're suggestive of a very rustic existence.

I just rewatched the ep for the third time. I liked it way better and there were some awesome details I didn't notice at first. For example, when the Others are chasing our two rangers in the woods, the whole time you can hear the sound of ice cracking and popping (not that I imagine the Others would be carrying on a conversation, but associating the ice cracking with them at the start was a neat detail). Also, I loved that the Silent Sisters had halos made of the seven-sided star, and their incense burners were in the shape of the seven sided star, too. Coolness.

And this time I finally saw the Unsullied everyone's been talking about.

I am watching it for the second time and really really loved that. I just wished they looked more white and icey. Oh well.

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but rushes are a particular type of straw that medieval castles used to put on dirt floors for people to sleep on (most didn't have their own beds) to keep from getting too dirty; they also act as a primitive form of insulation. They're suggestive of a very rustic existence.

Ah, thanks!

But that's exactly where my expectations fell short. I imagined Winterfell to be a larger and, for lack of a better word, more luxurious castle, with stone floors. Wasn't it supposed to be heated by water from hot springs flowing through the walls?

Ah, thanks!

But that's exactly where my expectations fell short. I imagined Winterfell to be a larger and, for lack of a better word, more luxurious castle, with stone floors. Wasn't it supposed to be heated by water from hot springs flowing through the walls?

Yes, which helps to prevent them from freezing to death in the winter, but doesn't make the general existence any less rustic. Winterfell is consistently described in the books as a simple, straightforward castle (hot springs heating system notwithstanding), with very little beyond the most basic amenities.

I think having Robert diddle a serving wench in front of the whole room is part of the directors' efforts at showing that, while he may be a sympathetic character and a "good guy", he does have some major flaws - which go a long way toward giving Cersei reason to feel the way she does about him.

I think this was partly where I took issue with the representation of the Lannisters. It gives Cersei a reason to be a bitch. Not a particularly great reason, but the fact was that we never even learned about how resentful she was toward Robert's philandering until FfC. It kind of killed the mystery around her character...maybe they'll at least keep us in the dark about later characters, like the Tyrells/Greyjoys/Martells.

Episode was great a couple of things that I feel were missed

- the dire wolves should have never left the Stark kids side's felt that the bond b/w Kids and wolves would have been shown better if they always around

- the pond in front of the heart tree was not a natural hot spring, other that that the god woods scene had to be the best in the episode

- not totally sold on the Danny story just yet, but it was not horrible

Just a comment on non-readers who watched the show.

My cousin who doesn't read much at all loved it. He's looking forward to next Sunday.

My girlfriend hasn't read the books and she liked it as well. She found it a little confusing at first but as the show went on she put together who's who and got what the story was about. Her only comment was that the violence and sex was a little too graphic but not enough to turn her off. She did force me to tell her the fate of Bran. She was very shocked with that scene. I pity her when the Starks really get it.

One funny comment she made was that she felt that GRRM was a bit of a perv because of all the incest and orgies. I couldn't help but laugh and I told her I had to post about what she said. :lol:

So that's two non-fans that liked the show at least.

I am watching it for the second time and really really loved that. I just wished they looked more white and icey. Oh well.

Yeah, me too. I thought they looked like mud men. Either that or their skin is supposed to be the color of frost-bitten flesh. If I think about their appearance in frost-bite terms, it at least makes them a little more gruesome and creepy than I initially thought.

Yeah, me too. I thought they looked like mud men. Either that or their skin is supposed to be the color of frost-bitten flesh. If I think about their appearance in frost-bite terms, it at least makes them a little more gruesome and creepy than I initially thought.

The way they were described in the book made it seem like they were "graceful." I still picture them as Voldemort-white-face-but-with-a-nose and with their blue armor and pretty tall, yet slim.

GRRM never did shy away from graphic descriptions of sexual situations, but I do think HBO played it up a bit to strum the strings, so to speak.

My hubby actually worked as a DJ in strip clubs for years, so bouncy bare breast-esies aren't exactly a shock to him, but he expressed his feeling that it was a wee bit overdone pretty succinctly.

At one point he actually said "How many people f*ck in this movie?!? Jeez, this is worse than The Sopranos!" I laughed out loud.

He has NO idea what he's in for...

Meh, clearly the White Walker seen in the prologue was a reverse albino, whom they sent as an advance scout because his condition makes him expendable. His status as an outcast is clearly the impetus for the pangs of conscience that inspired him to let Will live (Will is clearly deformed, and triggered feelings of solidarity amongst outcasts, clearly a recurring theme in Martin's works).

It will be his contact with Ghost, an albino of a different sort, that will trigger an inter-species romance of Avatar-like proportions and pave the way to a lasting peace between Others and Man.

I actually thought the number of sex scenes in the premiere was more restrained than I was expecting, but I guess I'm weird. The only sex scenes were the one with Tyrion (which, let's face it, is a very honest and natural way to introduce the character), and the scenes involving Dany as well as the dancers at her wedding. I think that most of the reactions have been largely because of Dany's opening sequence, which was very much a Nude Scene, capital N, capital S, one where she was very uncomfortably and lengthily stripped of her clothes as the camera lingered on her body. It was justified, though, and I would almost use the word "essential". Her vulnerability and helplessness were very effectively communicated.

Did anyone else not like how HD and overfocused the settings were? I thought that it made the scenes look somewhat staged.

Uhhhh?....I was busy just seeing how they got the scenes right!.....It doesn't take much to make me happy, they hit it head on!

OMG!!!!! People! The scenes were dead on!.....some dialogue was actual from the book! What more can you ask for? It was exactly how I imagined it. I couldn't have asked for more. I just don't see how they could put all the details in 8....one hour episodes. After all, George did say he wrote the books to be unfilmable. I think they did a marvelous job! Bring on the rest! ...and George? get to writing for God's sake!

This episode blew me away. One of the best thigns I've ever seen on television.

There was very little I didn't like. Illyrio, maybe. Would've been nice to see him as flamboyantly ostentatious as in the book (and played by Ian NcNiece). I mean, it wasn't a bad performance, by any means... he played off Harry Lloyd quite well.

Archived