[No Spoilers] Opening credits

Kat

EW has a good video of the opening credit sequence in case you want to watch them again.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the changes they make on a weekly basis.

I noticed a lot more detail in watching the video up close, for instance in the main logo near the end (1:31 in that video link) the heads of the lion, stag, wolf and dragon around the edge, rather than just the relief on the turning ring.

Anything stick out for you? Still processing.

I just posted this elsewhere, but I can't make out what some of the animals are in the third engraving.

I see, in addition to the Stark direwolf, the Lannister lion, and the Arryn hawk:

two swans (Swann?)

a bear (Mormont?)

a sparrow

a dog-ish thing?

a horse

Also, I wonder if they're going to change the animal scenes with each season to reflect the previous one...or if they'll fit more heads on the logo as other houses come into play.

I was able to read Pentos much better the second time. The first time I found the camera was swooping in too quickly for me to read the name before we zoomed into the city.

I really liked how we got a "recap" when the camera pans back down from the Wall to King's Landing before crossing the narrow sea. Getting to see the map both moving from South to North and from North to South really helped solidify the geography for me.

This is totally geeky of me, but I wondered if the relative position of the sun would move as the seasons progress.

As for detail, I'd figured out the four heads before I heard anybody talk about the relief figures. (Well, I'd caught glimpses, but I hadn't put together that it's Robert's Rebellion in super-summary form.) I do keep watching to see if I can see any sneak details about, say, Craster's Keep beyond the Wall, or any of the thus-far unmentioned locations (Harrenhall, the Twins, Riverrun, Sunspear, etc.)

This is totally geeky of me, but I wondered if the relative position of the sun would move as the seasons progress.

As for detail, I'd figured out the four heads before I heard anybody talk about the relief figures. (Well, I'd caught glimpses, but I hadn't put together that it's Robert's Rebellion in super-summary form.) I do keep watching to see if I can see any sneak details about, say, Craster's Keep beyond the Wall, or any of the thus-far unmentioned locations (Harrenhall, the Twins, Riverrun, Sunspear, etc.)

"The Eyrie" is clearly spelled out when sweeping back down to King's Landing...I'm sure we'll see a geary Eyrie before the end of this season. :D

I just posted this elsewhere, but I can't make out what some of the animals are in the third engraving.

I see, in addition to the Stark direwolf, the Lannister lion, and the Arryn hawk:

two swans (Swann?)

a bear (Mormont?)

a sparrow

a dog-ish thing?

a horse

Are you talking about the one that shows up right before the title, or the details of the title?

If the latter I also just noticed (spoilers for the BOOKS beware):

That the engraving behind the "Game of Thrones" title appears to contain 4 birds, which could be read as Varys's "little birds", or as the mockingbirds graving Littlefinger's sigil.

Are you talking about the one that shows up right before the title, or the details of the title?

If the latter I also just noticed (spoilers for the BOOKS beware):

That the engraving behind the "Game of Thrones" title appears to contain 4 birds, which could be read as Varys's "little birds", or as the mockingbirds graving Littlefinger's sigil.

I'm talking about the reliefs that show up just before the title.

and I think it's just crows. :P

Actually, I described that wrong. I was talking about the circle behind the band of more detailed relief. There's definitely a crow or eagle on the band in the last title, and a dragon, but I like my interpretation of the other ones as a different sort of bird better. :)

A sharp-eyed commenter at WIC noticed the following:

Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) has a Dragon Sigil (Targaryen) next to her name?

Emilia Clarke (Danerys Targaryen) has a Lion Sigil (Lannister) next to her name?

Ian Glenn (Jorah Mormont) has a Lion Sigil (Lannister) next to his name?

Rory McCann (The Hound/Sandor Clegane) has a Stag Sigil (Baratheon) next to his name?

oops

I think Ran already commented on this - it was noticed too late to change the credits for the initial episode(s), but has been fixed for later in the series.

(Vague, I hope) Book spoiler question re: this

So will they change these sigils as more information is revealed during series 1? :P

The use of sigils next to the actors' names to correspond to the house affiliation of the characters has already been noted (together with the errors).

I wonder whether there's any significance to the sigils next to the names of production staff, writers, editors, etc.?

A sharp-eyed commenter at WIC noticed the following:

Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) has a Dragon Sigil (Targaryen) next to her name?

Emilia Clarke (Danerys Targaryen) has a Lion Sigil (Lannister) next to her name?

Ian Glenn (Jorah Mormont) has a Lion Sigil (Lannister) next to his name?

Rory McCann (The Hound/Sandor Clegane) has a Stag Sigil (Baratheon) next to his name?

oops

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I didn't even bother cross-referencing those. Nice catch.

One of the very first "history" images looks like it contains a volcano, erupting over a city aflame, while a dragon looks on. Perhaps a reference to *very* ancient history?

Before dragons evolved and lost one of their sets of legs.... ;)

That is awesome, though. I like that detail, regardless of inaccurate paleontology. (Actually, all the dragons in that sequence have 4 legs, I think.)

Someone else pointed out to me that the symbols along the side of the orb-thingy seem to be telling a Bayeux Tapestry-style story.

So it starts with what looks like a city falling (is that a volcano? I've had to switch to my backup monitor as the main one's broken and it's dark as hell), a dragon and waves with five people. The Doom of Valyria? Not sure what the five people means, unless they are going with idea that the Targs escaped from the Doom to Dragonstone, rather than have been there for a century when it happened. Then when we get back to the orb it looks like a stag is striking down the dragon and at the end is standing triumphant next to a lion.

Very cool :)

They're going to be changing the locations every week to reflect the content in the episodes, right?

Yup.

Next week we lose Pentos and get Vaes Dothrak instead. Later episodes will also feature the Eyrie.

I'm guessing we'll also get the Twins and maybe Riverrun (depending on how far they get down that road), maybe in the season finale. Possibly Lhazar as well, which would be interesting if it gave us a glimpse of Slaver's Bay downriver. We may also get the Crossroads Inn: it's on the map but:

It doesn't feature on it in Episode 2, where a reasonable amount of action happens there. It's more pivotal I think in Episode 4 so may appear there.

Season 2 I imagine will bring Storm's End, Pyke, Qarth, Harrenhal and maybe Craster's Keep and the First of the First Men into play as well

Archived