[BOOK SPOILERS] Season two

marwyn

This EW interview with HBO co-president Richard Plepler and programming president Michael Lombardo makes it look like 10 episodes is the plan for season 2.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-season-two-2/

How many episodes is the second season?

Lombardo: It’s such a challenging show to produce. They don’t have a writing staff — its just the two of them (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss). The idea is to do 10 of them again, and that’s what they want to do, to maintain the quality of their work.

With only 10 episodes, I think we are looking at significant character and location cuts from the book.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take the approach of shows like Lost and have some storylines only appear in some episodes. Characters like Dany and Davos/Stannis have pretty short arcs in ACoK, I couldn't really see them appearing in more than, say, half the episodes that season (Dany especially - she wanders the desert a bit, lounges around in Quarth, visits the House of the Undying... and that's about it, really). Theon and Jon's storylines only really kick off halfway through too - I can see them having a rather reduced role in the season until Theon takes Winterfell and Jon and the rest of the watch arrive at the Fist of the First Men.

The only really big arcs that would take up a large part of the season are Tyrion's intrigues in King's Landing (which intersects pretty heavily with Sansa), Arya's hellish journey (I seriously doubt they're going to cut down this one, I can imagine Arya becoming a pretty popular character and with Dany and Jon taking the backseat somewhat I can see her becoming the centre of the story along with Tyrion) and Catelyn/Robb, especially if Robb's campaign and his romance with Jeyne take a bigger role. Even the Bran/Meera/Jojen stuff is pretty light until Theon arrives. It's certainly more of a challenge than the first season, but I think they can fit A Clash of Kings into ten episodes (though I do hope it's extended to twelve or something) without gutting it too much. And it should be added that HBO doesn't really have limits on episode length in the way other networks do - ten episodes is still pretty flexible in terms of screentime.

I'd be disappointed if it were only 10 episodes. Not as disappointed if there never was a second season mind you, but I just can't see them doing it in ten episodes. There already has been complaints about pacing problems from reviewers on the first episodes, and I think it really felt like some things were too quickly dealt with in the first episode already. I can only imagine this will be an even bigger problem for season 2.

Maybe the not-so-incredible ratings for the first episode means that HBO isn't willing to commit to a bigger budget for season two.

Perhaps they'll bump the Battle of the Blackwater episode to 90 minutes. That'd play.

Also I think the episode will focus on just the Battle of the Blackwater, all other storylines dropped for that ep. There's certainly enough characters involved for that to work (apologies if this has been discussed previously in this thread).

I remember hearing someone saying Battle of Blackwater could take up a whole episode since it's so big. So ty here's that and juggeling a ton of stories. I think you could cut down on the travel time of Dany, since there's a lot of it and just have the important stuff. I forgot if Catelyn has a lot of travel but you can have leave for Renly in one episode, arrive the next, introduce brienne and then have the shadow baby killing a episode or two later. Aslo you can always reduce conversations and or take out certain scenes that arn't vital to each pov.

Kinda disappointing that season 2 will be only 10 episodes. With the added storylines for some of the characters this will probably mean some storylines will be shortened or cut completely :(

Prove me wrong B&W! :)

Archived