Game of Thrones Renewed!

Linda

I have to ask.... is it going to be a book for each season? If so then many things will have to be left out. With the way this first season is supposed to end per a few spoilers I've reaf... that would only be about half of book one. I'm hoping that each book is closer to two seasons... anyone know of how things are supposed to play out?

*Spoilers*

Actually from what I've heard they've been working on the CGI on Dany's children so I doubt the first season is going to end in the middle of the book. If you mean the events on Baelor's steps I think they take place in episode 8, "The Pointy End"

Agreeing with you on hoping for two seasons for later books though, especially for ASOS

Great news to start the morning!

After rewatching ep1 last night, I think the little girl playing Arya is adorable and perfect for the role. Can't wait to see her travails in CoK and hopefully, aSoS. Same with the kid playing Bran.

I wonder if the 10 episodes comment was official? I know he was hoping for 12...as I'm sure all of us are as well. Still great news regardless.

From Not A Blog (edited):

P.S. A late correction. Actually, I don't KNOW how many more episodes. Could be ten. Could be more. Could even be fewer, I suppose, though I don't really think so. Myself, I'd love to see twelve episodes this second time around, since CLASH is a hundred pages longer than GAME. But that's a call for HBO and Dan and David, and I am sure they will let us know once it's made.

I hope they get twelve episodes or 11 episodes with a two hour season finale.

I think if they get 12-13 hours ordered for season two they can probably pull off a 15-16 hour order for season three. I know the speculation has been made of splitting season 3 up into 2 seasons, and I presume season 3 will include iron born chapters from AFFC, but I still think they could do it it in a longer season. That would be uncharacteristic for HBO but it would be the conservative choice, take one longer season rather than pay for two regular length seasons or two short seasons.

If HBO ordered 16 episodes for season three, i could see them airing them in a part 1 part 2 format, like eight episodes in the spring, and the final eight episodes in the fall.

AFFC/ADWD will obviously need two seasons, good look to D&D on untangling that monstrosity of knots.

It might work really well to maintain a season four part 1 season four part 2 structure similar to the book split of AFFC. with the story getting so incredibly broad at that point, it'd make sense to cover Westeros in one part of the season and Essos in another part of the season.

This so makes my day! Haven't been close to the computer too much since I am away from home, but this is great.

I'm hoping for at least 12 episodes and could easily imagine 13 if HBO is feeling really good about the show's prospects.

I hope they can do it in twelve. I think the first show was awesome, but I bet the first season could have been better serviced by a couple more episodes - which is what the producers originally wanted, anyway. Hopefully they get their wish. Even if not, it's still great news.

HBO is about money, not ratings. And considering the international sales, I'm surprised that this is one of the first articles to draw a correlation between it's overseas popularity and it's likelihood for further renewal:

Also' date=' Game of Thrones has been officially renewed for a second season. It didn’t do nearly as well as Boardwalk Empire‘s premiere, but it has room to grow, the reviews are good, and most importantly from HBO’s perspective, it’s already selling really well overseas. The network hasn’t had many big international hits recently (and international sales are a big part of their business model), and this show has a truly international, beyond-borders feel to it that even the specifically regional True Blood does not. I figure that even if this show doesn’t build its audience to True Blood levels, it’ll be safe for as long as it needs to tell the story.[/quote']

I don't think that it's a coincidence that it's also set a Sky Atlantic record for ratings which was the first story released on the show this morning. This quick pickup means HBO has plans for this show, and while BW Empire may do better domestically, this show kicks anything else's ass overseas.

Another thing in GOT's favour is the vast merchandising opportunities. With the Sopranos, what can you sell but DVDs? With fantasy, there are unlimited amounts of action figures, T-Shirts, video games, replicas of swords, model helmets, and so on. You can really monetize the love that fans have for it, in a way that is just impossible for a realistic show.

Another thing in GOT's favour is the vast merchandising opportunities. With the Sopranos, what can you sell but DVDs? With fantasy, there are unlimited amounts of action figures, T-Shirts, video games, replicas of swords, model helmets, and so on. You can really monetize the love that fans have for it, in a way that is just impossible for a realistic show.

Very true. Also, I read in one review that fantasy fans are a proven market for deluxe editions of DVD/BluRays. As GRRM says here, HBO could easily include deleted scenes as bonus material, making the DVDs attractive even to people who have already seen or recorded the show.

Very true. Also, I read in one review that fantasy fans are a proven market for deluxe editions of DVD/BluRays. As GRRM says here, HBO could easily include deleted scenes as bonus material, making the DVDs attractive even to people who have already seen or recorded the show.

I am drooling at the very thought of director's cut/deleted scenes. I'd take several days vacation and just watch the damn thing straight through. :drool:

[/nerdalert]

I think what I like most about this news (besides knowing that we will get the second season, of course) is that it will give GoT time to prove itself in the area where I believe it will truly shine: DVD sales.

Excellent news. Clash of Kings is probably my favorite book (although obviously it's tough to decide). Looking forward to this and I hope they make a lot of money with this season so they can 1) have 12 hours in S2 and 2) have enough money in their VFX budget to really do the Blackwater right.

A couple of issues.

Spoiler
Sean Bean is not in season.

"In the second season will hire a famous actor?

I hope that the budget of the series does not go for a known actor. You have to work on the dragons, the battles of war, etc.

Archived